PDA

View Full Version : Heartworm: What causes it?

Bob Weisner
06-02-2005, 7:24 PM
Hi.

Does anyone know what causes heartworm in a dog?

Thanks,

Rich Konopka
06-02-2005, 7:42 PM
Bob,

It is cause when a mosiquito which is infected with the larvae bites a dog it gets transferred to the dog. Heartguard once a month when mosiquito's are active should prevent hearworm. DAGS on Mosquito and larvae for more info.

Jeff Sudmeier
06-02-2005, 7:47 PM
Bob,

From what I have read, it can also be transfered from the feces of another dog.

Bob Weisner
06-02-2005, 8:05 PM
Thanks for the replys.

I was at the vet today and they did a heartworm test on my German Shorthair Pointer. Turned up no heartworm. The vet wanted to put him on a heartworm preventative, but I was not sure since the test came back negative. I was reading that Advantage or Advantex prevents not only Fleas & Ticks, but also Mosquetoes SP? If it prevents Mosquetoes SP? , why would I need the heartworm preventative?

Thanks,

John Hart
06-02-2005, 8:12 PM
The main reason to treat them with a preventive medication is because once they have a heartworm condition, you can't give them the preventive medication. You then have to go the route of erradication which is much more expensive, takes a long time and you and the dog are miserable...not to mention the bad health associated with it.

Doug Shepard
06-02-2005, 8:59 PM
The main reason to treat them with a preventive medication is because once they have a heartworm condition, you can't give them the preventive medication. You then have to go the route of erradication which is much more expensive, takes a long time and you and the dog are miserable...not to mention the bad health associated with it.

Not to mention that the treatment to get rid of them is essentially a poison and in addition to making the dog sick, can actually kill them in some cases.

Brad Hammond
06-02-2005, 11:21 PM
in short.......... dont take a chance. treat to prevent and you wont have to worry about it. heartworms are not something to leave to chance! especially this time of year.

brad

John Hart
06-03-2005, 6:01 AM
You know, I guess we ought to clarify...since you're dealing with a living thing...If your dog gets heartworm and then you start doing the preventive treatment, your dog could die. So it is important that they are tested prior to the preventive medication....then when they are all clear (like yours), it's ok to do the stuff.