PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman ZCI

David Huston
10-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Just bought a Lee craft ZCI for my craftsman table saw. The current insert has a screw in the front but the Leecraft insert does not. Should I drill the new insert out for the screw or are the screws underneath the leecraft good enough to provide a tight enough fit?

Thanks For any help

Tom Ewell
10-17-2013, 12:16 PM
When I make mine, I use the original as a pattern including all of the 'features'. I prefer the hold down screw and the pin on the back side that prevents the insert from lifting out position when installed.
Just ordered some UHMW inserts from Peachtree, I doubt that they have the hold down screw hole either, I will be moding it to include same.
This assumes, of course, that we're both talking about the same screw.

David Huston
10-17-2013, 12:50 PM
I believe we are! The Leecraft has a little lip on the back to secure it but no hold down screw hole just a screw underneath to take out any front to back movement. I am sure I can get it pretty snug in there but just wonder about the safety issue without the hold down screw. That being said I have watched videos online that have inserts with no hold down screws and a quick look at woodcraft ZCI selections show that most inserts dont have hold down screw hole. Confused!

Tom Ewell
10-17-2013, 1:42 PM
I suspect that after the initial plunge cut (with the insert clamped down) a snug fit would be sufficient as long as that back lip is engage preventing the turning blade from lifting the insert.
Most folks raise the blade before powering up anyway so the down and forward force at the front of the blade would tend to keep the snug fit insert in place.

Where I could see a problem.... a reset from a different angle back to 90, putting in the 90 Z insert, power on, raising the blade and discovering that the new angle is not exactly the same as the Z insert allowing the running blade to push up the insert enough to disengage and fly loose.... the potential is there, how probable it is, who knows but I've seen, read and heard about a lot of weird stuff when it comes to power woodworking gear and those who use it.

Every table saw that I've used or owned has had some sort of positive hold down at the front of the insert, some were nothing more than a spring clip but most were positively clamped via screw or cam. I think it is a nice feature.

Use a blade with the biggest kerf you intend to use, set your angle, raise the blade to the upper limit when you make your plunge.

Don't forget to remove the zero insert before changing the angle on your saw :)