PDA

View Full Version : Carex stones - can they be left in water? help please

Matthew N. Masail
10-17-2013, 9:15 AM
I'm confused -the German web site state "do not leave them permanently in water"

TFJ say the 1000 grit can be left in water.

what gives? TFW say these stones are vitrified, I always thought that mean water resistant among other things.
I particularly need to know about the 1000 and 8000 grit regular cerax (not the new carex) stones.

Jim Koepke
10-17-2013, 11:23 AM
From my computer's dictionary:

vitrify |ˈvitrəˌfī|
verb ( -fies, -fied) [ trans. ] (often be vitrified)
convert (something) into glass or a glasslike substance, typically by exposure to heat.

My thought is to not leave them in the water permanently if there is any doubt.

Better safe than sorry.

jtk

David Weaver
10-17-2013, 12:06 PM
If stu says you can put the 1000 in water, I'd imagine you can. It may be a vitrified stone (a lot of stones are, norton india stones, for example), but the 8000 stone may not be.

Stuart Tierney
10-17-2013, 1:11 PM
They'll be fine. All of them.

It's not really necessary to soak them all the time, and they don't need special drying procedures so soaking at the start of the day and taking them out at the end of the day is pretty easy and won't hurt them at all.

If you must soak them, you can. I don't. Not any more. Tired of dealing with slime or stink.

(For the record, Suehiro do not make, to the best of my or their knowledge, any stone that cannot tolerate extended soaking. Even the megabuck stuff is as tough as they come.)

Stu.

Matthew N. Masail
10-17-2013, 5:40 PM
Thank you! Stu you'll most likely be getting another order for a couple (regular) Carex stones. and than maybe another from me.... I swear, I'm not eating them.

Bill White
10-18-2013, 12:17 PM
I don't have the Carex stones, but mine (water stones) stay in a sealed box in water with a splash of bleach. Been in there for over 10 years.
Bill