PDA

View Full Version : Newport Desk Announcement, and a Thanks

Alan Turner
06-02-2005, 6:06 PM
I posted my Newport Kneehole Desk in April, and the comments of my SMC friends were favorable.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19366

I was encouraged by you guys to submit it to the Readers Gallery of FWW.

Well, last Saturday’s mail included a postcard from FWW saying that the piece had been “accepted for possible publication in the magazine or on our website. . . . Please note that due to the volume of material we receive, you may not hear from us for a while –in some cases up to a year.”

So guys – Thanks for the encouragement. It is exciting to have been accepted for possible publication. I wonder if, should they publish it, I can put a link on my website to the online version of it. I guess when they call or write, I will inquire on that point.

This will be the first time that I will have been published, assuming that the word “possible” does not come to pass. A collective crossing of the fingers would be appreciated.

Mike Scoggins
06-02-2005, 6:13 PM
Alan,

WOW! Way to go! It's no surprise that your masterpiece was selected for publication. Now we just have to wait for it to be published so we can start bugging you for an autographed copy.

Congratulations!

Mike

Bruce Page
06-02-2005, 6:13 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gif Alan, that is great news! Your Kneehole Desk is certainly worthy for publication! I’m looking forward to seeing it in FWW.

Steve Inniss
06-02-2005, 6:54 PM
Alan,
Excellent, fingers crossed for you in Ontario. -Steve

Roy Wall
06-02-2005, 7:23 PM
As it should be..............:)

Congrats Alan - you deserve this hands down!!!

Steve Wargo
06-02-2005, 7:46 PM
Outstanding Alan, and congrats. You should be quite proud, of the accomplishment and the piece. I'll also cross my fingers.

Marc Hills
06-02-2005, 7:49 PM
Ohh, ohh! When that FWW comes out (notice I used the word "when", rather than "if") can I send you a copy and get your autograph?

Congratulations, Alan! I consider it an honor to be able to exchange thoughts and ideas with a WWer of your caliber.

John Hart
06-02-2005, 8:19 PM
I want an autograph too Alan! Congratulations. Publication will be well deserved...I don't see how they would flinch.

Mark Singer
06-02-2005, 8:38 PM
Alan,

You the man! That is great! Well deserved,,,,a wonderful piece.!

Brad Schmid
06-02-2005, 10:17 PM
Very cool and much deserved for such a fine piece of work. Congrats! :cool:
Brad

Jerry Olexa
06-02-2005, 11:32 PM
Alan, truly OUTSTANDING work of the highest quality! You certainly deserve publication....

Ken Fitzgerald
06-03-2005, 12:25 AM
Alan....I'd have dropped my subscription if your piece hadn't made FWW. That desk is one of the most outstanding projects I've seen! I'm not worthy to hand you your tools! Congrats! Excellent work! I want an autograph too!

Dan Forman
06-03-2005, 2:56 AM
Alan---Congrat's on hearing from FWW. I can't think of anyone more deserving of such an honor. I hope your students know how lucky they are to have you for an instructor.

Dan

Peter Mc Mahon
06-03-2005, 4:43 AM
Hello Steve, from Paris Ontario.

Karl Laustrup
06-03-2005, 7:05 AM
Alan, I'm positive your desk will make the pages of FWW. Your desk is as fine a piece of craftmanship as any of the pieces I've ever seen in the pages of FWW.

Lookin forward to seeing it "sooner" than "later".

And you'll be getting my copy for a signature, also. :D Then I can say "I knew him when".

Ron McNeil
06-03-2005, 7:27 AM
Alan, Congratulations, it's no surprise that your kneehole desk was selected. You do wonderful work and I always enjoy your posts. Outstanding job. :p

Wes Newman
06-03-2005, 8:51 AM
Alan, WAY TO GO. It truly is an inspirational piece.

Jerry Palmer
06-03-2005, 9:54 AM
Alan,

I think it was a foregone conclusion as far as the folks here that if you submitted it to FWW, that they would accept it. A wonderful piece of work which surpasses the majority of the stuff I've seen in FWW as well as that of Woodwork magazine.

Vince Sandy
06-03-2005, 10:40 AM
Alan,

Well deserved. It is a beautiful piece. I look forward to seeing it grace the pages of FWW.

Vince in NC

Nick Mitchell
06-03-2005, 10:57 AM
Really excellent! Well done, you should be very proud.

Robby Phelps
06-03-2005, 11:32 AM
Congrats Alan!!! A very deserving honor. I think they should put it on the back page. Your piece I feel is better then many of the works they have shown.

Again congrats and keep us posted.

Jim Becker
06-03-2005, 4:18 PM
Congratulations! Well deserved!!

It would be really kewel if both your desk and Jason T's cabinet would make the same issue... :D

Dave Carey
06-03-2005, 4:18 PM
Makes me glad (again) I bought those clamps from Lowe's and had my FWW sunscription extended! Beautiful piece!!

Doug Cowan
06-03-2005, 5:51 PM
Congratulations and well deserved.

Alan Turner
06-03-2005, 8:37 PM
Thanks so much guys. Should I ever get depressed, I will just stop back here and read your commnets. That should fix me up in no time.

Steve Inniss
06-06-2005, 10:28 AM
Hello Steve, from Paris Ontario.

Peter,
Hello to you. I see by your posts that you are a Neander/power mix. I'm beginning to incorporate less payments to OPG in every project -less dust as well. -Steve

Peter Mc Mahon
06-06-2005, 11:10 AM
Currentlly making my kitchen cabinets by hand. Solid cherry, through double wedged mortise and tenon with ebony wedges. Maloof type finish. A lot of work but looking good. I could show you a picture but I am not sure how to post yet. Do you live near Huntsville? I have a buddy that lives on Ravenscliff Rd. Peter

Warren White
06-06-2005, 1:58 PM
Alan, that is just magnificent! I am always amazed at the talent of an artist like you; it goes beyond my comprehension.

Thanks for the inspiration (not that I could ever do anything that spectacular), but it shows just what can be accomplished with talent, time, and heart.

Warren

Tom Stovell
06-06-2005, 2:53 PM
Should I ever get depressed...that's a strange coincidence. Whenever I get depressed I come here and look at your desk and think to myself, 'look what some artists are capable of doing with wood. Hope springs eternal!'

Congratulations...I'm sure it will grace the pages of FWW soon.

Tom

Alan Turner
09-22-2005, 3:23 PM
Well, guys. A few friends here have recently asked if I know when the desk will be published in FWW. So, I weakened (hardly a surprise) and called. I was told that it will be in the Reader's Gallery section in the next issue. Of course, I immediately ordered 5,000,000 tear sheets of this page.

Roy Wall
09-22-2005, 3:56 PM
Well, guys. A few friends here have recently asked if I know when the desk will be published in FWW. So, I weakened (hardly a surprise) and called. I was told that it will be in the Reader's Gallery section in the next issue. Of course, I immediately ordered 5,000,000 tear sheets of this page.

Yes....it's like.........Alan, will you please call.:D So, he humbly does so and - BINGO!!!

Again - congrats on a splendid piece of furniture created by your talent!! We are very happy to see it published!!!! Alan, you've helped all of us a tremendous amount here at SMC---KUDOS TO YOU!!:)

Karl Laustrup
09-22-2005, 4:49 PM
Of course, I immediately ordered 5,000,000 tear sheets of this page.

Maybe you had better check your math again. That number could be a wee bit shy. ;) :D

Congratulations again Alan. Can hardly wait to get the next issue.

Karl

Hank Knight
09-22-2005, 5:30 PM
Alan, I agree with all the others. FWW's acceptance of your piece is no surprise. It is a fine piece and well deserving of the honor. Congratulations.

Jim Becker
09-22-2005, 6:16 PM
Ah, to see something I have actually fondled in a magaine will be very kewel!!! Congratulations, Alan. 'Can't wait for my next issue to arrive!

Jules Dominguez
09-22-2005, 10:52 PM
Alan, that desk is an extraordinarily fine piece of craftsmanship and I'll be dumbfounded if they don't feature it. If that's not fine woodworking, I don't know what is.

Dan Forman
09-23-2005, 12:02 AM
Alan---congrat's on your well deserved honor. The world at large (well, the woodworking world anyway :) ) will soon know that you are a craftsman of the highest order, but they will have no way of knowing how helpful you have been to your fellow Creekers all the while. Perhaps reward for that won't come until the next life. :D

Dan