PDA

View Full Version : Wia 2013

Hilton Ralphs
10-17-2013, 8:48 AM
So who's going to update those of us not fortunate enough to attend this weekend?

Quick pics with your mobile phone will do.

Chris Griggs
10-17-2013, 9:00 AM
I was hell bent on going this year, but given that I'm half way moved into my new house and still need to clean out my old rental by the end of the month the timing couldn't be worse. Next year! Mostly I just want to go to the market place. Its funny, its something like 8-9 hour drive for me. So not terrible and easy to do in a day, but just long enough that I can't just drive out early in the morning and drive back at night. Maybe I should get some caffeine pills drive all through the nigh Friday night, attend on Saturday, and then drive home all through the night on Saturday night....errrr...or maybe I'll just look at pics and read the reports like I do every year.

Hilton Ralphs
10-17-2013, 9:51 AM
Or find a buddy who wants to share the driving and travel costs. What are flight costs like for this type of trip?

Chris Griggs
10-17-2013, 9:56 AM
I don't recall specifics of flight costs other than remembering that when I looked last year they weren't worth it in terms of cost of decrease in travel time. Its close enough that it makes more sense to drive.

Hilton Ralphs
10-17-2013, 10:04 AM
Yes you're right. One still needs to drive to airport, pay for parking, then check in at least an hour before boarding time and then when you get to your destination you need to hire a car. Repeat for the return leg.

Do the hand tool companies usually announce new tools at such an event?

Megan Fitzpatrick
10-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Sorry you can't make it this year Chris and Hilton. If you're on Twitter, follow the hashtag #WIA13 – I, and I know lots of other people, will be tweeting pictures etc throughout. (@1snugthejoiner)

Hilton Ralphs
10-17-2013, 10:44 AM
Thanks Megan. Sadly I lost one of the oars for my rowing boat so I won't make it time.

Chris Griggs
10-17-2013, 11:19 AM
I'm going to start my own woodworking conference call WIB...Woodworking in My Basement...

It will feature demonstrations and Q&A sessions such as....?

What's that red stuff running onto my tools?

How to photograph your projects so they look better on Woodworking Forums.

The secret shopper: How to hide tool purchases from you significant other in a small workshop

Keeping you and your cat(s) safe in a home workshop.

Mastering the Rustic (Ru-steek) Nouveau style: The subtle art of decorative gaps and blowout

and last but not least....

Measure once, scoop twice: Maintaining an odor free work environment in your shared human/feline workspace.

Hilton Ralphs
10-17-2013, 11:28 AM
The secret shopper: How to hide tool purchases from you significant other in a small workshop

I find it extremely useful to always add something to the cart from the gardening/scrap-booking section.

Judson Green
10-17-2013, 1:29 PM
I'm going to start my own woodworking conference call WIB...Woodworking in My Basement...

[/I]

Your basement must be huge!

Stew Hagerty
10-17-2013, 2:13 PM
Sorry you can't make it this year Chris and Hilton. If you're on Twitter, follow the hashtag #WIA13 – I, and I know lots of other people, will be tweeting pictures etc throughout. (@1snugthejoiner)

Hi Megan, What about those of us not Twittering? Will you be updating Facebook too?

Oh... And sorry you and Chris couldn't make it to Fort Wayne this fall. We were all looking forward to having you here.

Rob Lee
10-17-2013, 2:33 PM
Hi,

We actually have someone at WIA just for Facebook/twitter .... This post should put additional pressure on her to produce.... :)

Cheers,

Rob
( in the Philly airport.... Hoping his flight to Covington arrives after set-up, but before social time..... :) )

Chris Griggs
10-17-2013, 2:46 PM
Hi,

We actually have someone at WIA just for Facebook/twitter .... This post should put additional pressure on her to produce.... :)

Cheers,

Rob
( in the Philly airport.... Hoping his flight to Covington arrives after set-up, but before social time..... :) )

Welcome to Philly. Next time you should stay longer.

Stew Hagerty
10-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Hi,

Cheers,

Rob

Timing is everything Rob

Adam Cruea
10-18-2013, 10:06 PM
I would gladly have posted up pictures for you chaps as I was going to go to get in a nice long trip on the Harley, but Mother Nature had other plans.

Or maybe it's just the job that caused the stomach issues. *shrug* All I know is the morning I was supposed to leave, my stomach felt like a ball of lava was sitting in it. :(

Gary Muto
10-20-2013, 1:29 PM

Mastering the Rustic (Ru-steek) Nouveau style: The subtle art of decorative gaps and blowout

Nice! If you write a book, I would like a signed copy. Hopefully you will have to cross out a letter/word in the autograph and rewrite! ;)

Chris Griggs
10-20-2013, 2:23 PM
Nice! If you write a book, I would like a signed copy. Hopefully you will have to cross out a letter/word in the autograph and rewrite! ;)

Haha! That's hilarious!