PDA

View Full Version : 40mm insert knives

Brian Peters
10-16-2013, 3:38 PM
I have a 40mm insert profilepro head set from amana. Does anyone know where custom knives could be had made up for this head or gone about this? I figured the cost savings of making this profile in one pass over time would pay for the knives even if they were twice what a stock set costs. My normal place for lock edge knives doesn't work with the euro block style insert knives. Thanks!

Jeff Duncan
10-16-2013, 5:38 PM
Have you tried Connecticut Saw & Tool?

good luck,
JeffD

Peter Quinn
10-16-2013, 6:11 PM
Have you tried Connecticut Saw & Tool?

good luck,
JeffD

Ditto, that's my local source, and Oella saw and tool does fine work and is an amana dealer too. I've been told in past inquires the cost of custom 40MM knives is similar to the cost of correlgated back knives, so $40-60 pet inch of cutting height from my dealer, not sure if that includes the blanks or not? Usually for correlgated that includes the steel. So if my calculations are correct, that's working on $90 for most 40mm heights, or almost 4x the cost of stock knives. Please make your own inquires though, I'm curious to see what they quote. I was simply steered away from custom 40mm knives because I have several corregated molding heads as well, the idea was if you are paying for custom may as well get the thicker knives which can be resharpened several times rather than disposable custom inserts. Of course you will probably pay the templating fee the first time so it may be cheaper for additional sets?

Stephen Cherry
10-16-2013, 6:13 PM
I've worked with Dave at Oella Saw for some unusual corrugated knives. Great communication, and he seemed happy to have my business. I'm pretty sure that he could do the euro cutters also. I've been in his shop, and he ships cutters all over the world.

Also, I got him to grind up some scrapers for my patterns- just the profile ground flat onto some tool steel. These work well for cleaning up the profile after the shaper, if needed.

http://www.oellasawandtool.com/

david brum
10-16-2013, 6:19 PM
Carbide.com also says that they do them, HERE. (http://www.carbide.com/catalog/custom-knives.cfm)

BTW, please let us know how they turn out and where you have them made. That would be handy info.

Brian Peters
10-17-2013, 3:31 PM
Thanks everyone. I will shop around (as always) and report back with pricing, I think it's a relevant thing to have as David said.