PDA

View Full Version : Kindle Fire HD vs. iPad

Matt Meiser
10-16-2013, 9:14 AM
I made a deal with my daughter when we changed her school that when she got her grades back to where they were (mostly A's and a few B's) she could have my iPad 2. We expected her grades to take a dip and ...well assuming she does well on the last tests of the marking period she's headed for all A's the first marking period. We'd originally said after the first semester but there's strong lobbying from 2/3 of the household to change that to quarter because of how well she's doing. This is more than a toy--they use them quite a bit at school and the high school we plan for her to attend went to mandatory iPads this year so her being fluent in its use will be helpful.

So then that leaves me without the iPad. I pretty much only use it when traveling for reading, email, and web surfing which is why I made this deal back during the summer. I occasionally use One Note on there, but more often use it on my phone if not on a PC and there is a One Note web app. Other than that, most of the apps on there are just synced from my phone and never used. And I occasionally watch The Wood Whisperer on a plane but that's declined greatly since the free videos have mostly become ads for the Guild which I'm not really interested in. I see I could copy MP3 and MP4 files to the Fire HD. I already have an older Kindle and I could take that for reading and use my phone for web and email but I'm also thinking maybe I could get a 7" Kindle Fire HD which is under $200.

Keeping in mind my primary uses, what would I miss on a Kindle? Is the browser fully functional? How's the email, contacts, and calendar (Exchange for all and Gmail emaiil-only?) For those I'm not big on using the web apps on the tablet.

Keith Outten
10-16-2013, 12:37 PM
Matt,

Think about next year when your daughter needs an updated tablet before you purchase your new one. Even if the iPad is more expensive it will certainly be the best value when you can pass it down to your daughter next year and it is unlikely she will want or be able to use a Kindle at school. I find this to be the best way to get the most from electronic gadgets. When she passes her iPad down to the next person it gets another life, at some point it can come back to you so you can use it in your work shop to check mail or view PDF documents.

Matt Meiser
10-16-2013, 1:25 PM
I get what you are saying but...in 9th grade we'll have to buy her an iPad through the high school. She's in 6th now so we are about 2-1/2 years away from that purchase. There's talk possibly expanding that and requiring 7th and 8th graders to buy them but there are significant network infrastructure issues to deal with at the middle school before they can consider it. If and when that happens, if it applies to her I'm sure we'll be required to purchase one through the school because they'll want control of them. In the mean time certain classrooms have iPads (for example her entire social studies program is iPad-based) and they are specifically not allowed to bring personal tablets to school. e-Readers are OK but a Fire HD would likely cross the line.

If money were no object, I'd buy the soon-to-be-released Core i5/8GB ram Surface tablet and that would be my personal PC with a docking station as well as my tablet. That's a $1300 device though.

Never thought about an old iPad in the shop. Only gotcha is Sketchup and Cutlist which I do use out there a good bit.

I also read about the Google Nexus 7 which might be a good "inexpensive" option.

Art Mann
10-16-2013, 4:11 PM
When I compared one version of the Kindle Fire (not sure which) to the Nexus 7, I bought the 7. That particular version of the Fire was crippled in comparison and had several missing features that most Android based tablets include. The 7 has exceeded my expectations. I do a lot of traveling and I used to take a laptop along for maps, internet and email access. Now I just take the 7 and use my smart phone to create a WiFi hotspot anywhere 3G or 4G service is offered. I got the older version. The newer version si supposed to be faster and have a better display, though I haven't tried one.

Edit: I got the 32GB version but I have never even used 16GB. Unless you are going to carry around full length movies or a lot of MP3 music, I don't think the 32GB version is really necessary.

Matt Meiser
10-16-2013, 4:47 PM
Thanks Art. I may put some music on it but I have a 32GB iphone too and there's no reason I can't use that, especially with the pending changes in the FAA regulations on electronics below 10,000ft.

The only potential downfall I've read about on the Nexus is that I read a couple reports that its more fragile than a Fire.

Rick Gibson
10-16-2013, 5:19 PM
I've got an Asus Android I am more than happy with. I use mine for reading (there is a kindle app that works well) Adobe has a reader app for it and the firefox app I use recognizes the adobe app. My local library subscribes to a large number of magazines through Zinio. I am able to download the mag that way. Web browsing and utube videos are also watched on it. Nice and comfortable in my lazy boy chair instead of in front of the tv. No problem copying mp3 and mp4 video to it and I use VLC on both the home computer and tablet. Great video player and free download http://www.videolan.org/ Came with 32GB and has a slot for a micro SD card. I happened to have an 8GB card for a camera I no longer use so it went into the tablet. I don't believe you can upgrade the memory in the Ipad. Considering the price difference it was a no brainer for me and it was even cheaper as I picked up a refurbished one from Tiger direct. The few reviews I read on the kindle fire turned me right off it. I figure I can do anything with the tablet I can do on my main computer except type fast and even then there is a full size keyboard available if you want to pay for it.

Pat Barry
10-16-2013, 6:11 PM
Do you have the ASUS MemoPad? That looks like a great little tablet for not much $

Larry Browning
10-16-2013, 6:31 PM
Take a look at the Nexus 7. There is really nothing close to it in its price range. I think it is the best value going. I really do prefer the 7" size of the 10". It is much easier to carry around. Plus I am now using it as my primary GPS in the car. I have a seat bolt mount that works great with the nexus 7.

Gerry Kaslowski
10-16-2013, 7:01 PM
ASUS makes great Android tablets. They also make the Nexus. My wife has the TF300, and most recently the ASUS Memo Pad HD 7. She just got that to replace her dying Nook white paper. She loves it. It has a HD IPS screen, a MicroSD slot, stereo, and uses a normal micro USB cable. Add a USB OTG adapter for $7 and you can read most USB devices, like usb sticks. And it's only $149. http://www.amazon.com/MeMOPad-HD-7-Inch-Blue-ME173X-A1-BL/dp/B00E0EY7Z6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381963837&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+hd+7

I just bought the larger ASUS FHD FHD 10. Full HD, great stereo, micro sd, built in Micro HDMI, and lots more. Now it's almost replace my laptop, except for Photoshop and Lightroom.

Ed Aumiller
10-16-2013, 8:52 PM
Deleted post

Matt Meiser
10-16-2013, 9:26 PM
So one entry I forgot about in the 7" tablet market...iPad mini. Its $100 more than the Nexus 7, but Target will give you a $30 gift card which makes the differential $70 since we shop at Target pretty regularly anyway.

Jim Becker
10-17-2013, 6:32 PM
Wait a few days...Apple is having an "event" and new iPad options are expected to be part of it.

Honestly, I'm an iDevice guy at this point. While there certainly are a host of other options, I like the consistency of the Apple devices. And sticking with it preserves any investment you already made in that ecosystem for apps and other content. The Kindle application works well on the iPad if you don't want a dedicated reader. (I do use an earlier version of Kindle for reading books as I find the screen/type easier on my eyes than any tablet)

Dave Lehnert
10-17-2013, 6:45 PM
I purchased a 7" Kindle Fire HD last spring and like it a lot. I also looked at the Google tablet but went with the Kindle fire just because I would most likely buy most stuff from Amazon anyway.
I have some issues with flash videos as the Kindle does not support flash. but understand that is Flash dropping support for all tablets. I am finding this being less of an issue as time goes on. I use an app called Tube Mate for YouTube that works well.

Frederick Skelly
10-17-2013, 7:08 PM
The Nook Tablet gets good reviews too Matt. I tried one at a barnes and noble store while on vacation. It seemed to work very well. Its an Android device too.
Fred

Dave Sheldrake
10-17-2013, 9:16 PM
My wife has the fire HD and I have various Ipads and of all of them the Ipad Mini has been the best buy, small enough to fit in places but big enough to be useful (unlike the tiny keyboard of the Ipod touch series and my Iphones)

The Mini will play pretty much all Tube videos and using Swift Browser even download them for you for later viewing or transfer to your main machine. My wife's Iphone bricked after 9 months of my kids abusing it, I called the support line and had a new replacement in my hands within two hours by visiting the Apple store in the next town.
Can't fault their support :) No idea what the FireHD support is like, Karens rarely gets used.

cheers

Dave

ps: Suri is great, it even gives a map location for the question "where do I hide dead bodies" :)

Matt Meiser
10-17-2013, 11:14 PM
I bought a Mini today at Target. Prices might drop, but while looking I was seeing Target stores sell out of them--rather pay a little more and get one easily than mess around trying to find one. Downloading 7.0.2 to it right now so I can restore my old iPad's backup to it. Already really like the size and weight.

Pat Barry
10-18-2013, 3:30 PM
So you are saying that there was a run on IPad Mini's at Target today?

Matt Meiser
10-18-2013, 6:53 PM
I don't know about a run but a couple stores that had them sold out. The one I got mine at did too

Jim Becker
10-18-2013, 9:00 PM
They are moving out the "old" version of the iPad Mini to make room for the new ones that are expected to be announced at the upcoming Apple event on 22 October.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/18/expectations-for-apples-october-22-event-ipads-mac-pro-and-more/

Hence, good bargain to be had for folks on the "original" mini! (while they last...)

Christopher Clark
10-19-2013, 11:18 PM
I gave my wife a Nexus 7 for Christmas and liked it so much I got my own. I have iPad 2s for work but prefer the Nexus and the Google integration. On occasion, I'll use my Droid hotspot for internet and a bluetooth keyboard for document editing.

David Masters
10-21-2013, 12:16 PM
Matt,

I have owned an iPad, and currently use an iPad Mini that I use much in the same way you've described. I do keep some movies on the iPad Mini for when I fly, and I probably use the email and note functions more than most people would. My only complaint is that you have to purchase the more expensive cellular capable iPad to have GPS functions, so GPS based applications are generally limited. Otherwise it is a tool that works for me. The Android based tablets I've tried (and admittedly, it's been few), didn't appear that the functions were laid out as well.

I've won a Kindle Fire and a Kindle HD at a couple of school raffles over the last year. The Kindle Fire was grabbed by my wife who uses it exclusively as an ebook reader. She has been very happy with it. I tried to load a couple of movies on the Kindle Fire, which were not obtained through Amazon, and found the method poorly documented and more procedural than my experience on the iPad. Launching the movies were much the same. The movies were not easily located, as they didn't show up on the Kindle's menu. The movies purchased through Amazon however were easy to find and launch.

After playing with the Kindle HD for a couple of days, I gave it to my daughter-in-law and understand she loves it. She uses the browser and email functions and has nothing but praise for them. I didn't find anything wrong with the Kindle HD, but on the whole I found my experience on the iPad to be better in terms of integration of the components, logical layout of functions, smoother integration and synchronization to my computers (Windows and Mac) and smartphone (iPhone), and very good 3rd party support.

To get the most from the iPad and Kindle, you need to be comfortable with the parent company's brand experience (iTunes & iCloud vs. Amazon marketplace). With an Android based device, I would think you would be better able to create your own experience as long as you have a technical background and interest in doing so. I'd say that the Android based tablets experience can be as good as the time you're willing to put into them.