PDA

View Full Version : General Metalworking Horizontal Bandsaw rebuild

Todd Burch
10-15-2013, 10:09 PM
I got this bandsaw as part of an auction lot I bid on a few months ago. I wasn't sure if I was going to keep it or sell it. However, after I started looking into it, I realized this was a quality saw.

It's a circa '67-'68 Johnson Model J Horizontal Bandsaw. 1HP, 3PH, 3/4" X 137" blade. Averaged out with the rest of the lot I purchased, I think I paid about $135 for it. It was missing a motor and bracket, and a belt, and had a few abused parts on it, but overall, it's bones were good.

Most parts are still available. I reckon by the time it's said and done, I'll have about $800 in it, and it will be worth about $1800, maybe more.

I'm still putting it back together. Hopefully I'll be done with it in the next couple weeks.

Anybody else have one of these?

Todd

Sal Kurban
10-17-2013, 8:04 PM
I got this bandsaw as part of an auction lot I bid on a few months ago. I wasn't sure if I was going to keep it or sell it. However, after I started looking into it, I realized this was a quality saw.

It's a circa '67-'68 Johnson Model J Horizontal Bandsaw. 1HP, 3PH, 3/4" X 137" blade. Averaged out with the rest of the lot I purchased, I think I paid about $135 for it. It was missing a motor and bracket, and a belt, and had a few abused parts on it, but overall, it's bones were good.

Most parts are still available. I reckon by the time it's said and done, I'll have about $800 in it, and it will be worth about $1800, maybe more.

I'm still putting it back together. Hopefully I'll be done with it in the next couple weeks.

Anybody else have one of these?

Todd

Great work on a fantastic looking saw!

I do not have the same brand but your saw looks very similar to a Kalamazoo 8CW horizontal bandsaw I recently restored. The blade guides are almost identical. I purchased it without a motor and the blade guides were shot. I ordered them thru Clausing. These old cast iron machines are rock solid. The worm gear drive and the hydraulic feed are great.

I am trying to add the wet cutting set up using an aquarium pump. Is yours wet or dry cutting?
Sal

Bruce Page
10-17-2013, 10:34 PM
Great looking saw Todd. The Johnson horizontal is one of the best ever made.
Too bad it won't stay that clean & pretty for long! :)

Keith Outten
10-17-2013, 10:41 PM
Todd,

Thats a beautiful saw and I expect it will be worth much more than your estimate when your done. If you look at comparable saw capacity on newer saws the current prices will give you sticker shock.

I remember a saw very similar to yours that we had in my high school metal shop and it was a great machine. Can't wait to see the finished pics.

Todd Burch
10-18-2013, 12:56 AM
Thanks Guys.

Sal, mine is a dry version. Johnson made 4 variations: Wet (JW) or dry (JD), and standard (J) or heavy duty (JH). Mine is a dry standard, but most of them are just referred to as Model "J". The heavy duty has a 1" blade and the wheels are thicker (to run the wider blade). Apparently, these cut just as good dry as they do wet (without all the mess). This has a 4-step pulley for speeds 35, 90, 130 and 190 FPM.

I added the the 300 lb. casters. The machine weighs 630 lbs. I should have it mostly together in another week or so. Just some cleaning up yet, plus I have a rebuild kit for the hydraulic cylinder to install. I got a black paint pen and highlighted the logo... looks good!

Stephen Pereira
10-19-2013, 6:17 AM
Wow, great find!

Gus Dundon
10-25-2013, 4:35 PM
Great work on the retrofit. Really nice band saw.

Todd Burch
10-25-2013, 6:52 PM
Thanks. If I didn't have some upcoming travel, I'd finish it this weekend. :(

I did, however, get to work on it some early this morning.

Todd Burch
10-26-2013, 2:32 PM
It's pretty much together, still have to complete the electrical and hydraulics, install the link belt and buy a blade. And, clean up some overspray and derust the vise faces.

Thanks for looking.

(The gearbox is a different color (the original color). I'll rebuild it later.)

Bruce Page
10-26-2013, 4:38 PM
Looks great! What do you plan on using it for? Do you do metal working?

Todd Burch
10-26-2013, 6:05 PM
Thanks Bruce. Sounds like a question I've been asked before... by my wife!!

Answer... something along the lines of "Guy? Duh! Tool? Duh!!"

Actually, later, if I find it's more in my way than I'll use it, I'll probably sell it.

Keith Outten
10-27-2013, 12:00 PM
Todd,

If you don't own a welding machine buy one as soon as the band saw rebuild is complete. You can build some amazing metal projects with just the two machines and a small grinder.

Todd Burch
10-27-2013, 9:36 PM
Hi Keith. Yes, I have a couple welders - a MIG and an Oxy/Ac setup. Got a few grinders too!

First project might be a spare tire holder bracket for the trailer I showed in the "Wood Gloat" post. Alas, I'll have to wait until my new shop is built before I have access to any 3PH for the bandsaw. (And I haven't broken ground yet either. :( )

Keith Outten
10-28-2013, 6:33 AM
I recently upgraded my metal band saw. Went from a really cheap machine I purchased 20 years ago to a new Baileigh 7 by 10 that is an incredible machine compared to my old saw. This year I finally got the saws I have always wanted for my shop, the Baileigh metal saw and the Felder woodworking saw.

Speaking of trailers I have a project coming up to replace the angle iron corner posts on my trailer with 2" receiver square tubing on all four corners. I already have one mounted in the center of the front rail, now I want them in the corners. I want to build a removable upper rack and be able to use a vise and my scroll benders on my trailer. The two on the back would be a great way to install a tail gate and for rigging. An inexpensive tarp over the rack would make a quick and dirty temporary work space when I am working onsite.

Todd Burch
10-28-2013, 6:59 AM
Sounds like a neat project. I believe my saw is a 10 X 18 (round X flat). I don't think I could pick up a 10" solid round of any length that would be clampable!

Keith Outten
10-28-2013, 9:22 PM
Todd,

You know your band saw is BIG when you need a trolly and hoist to load it :)

Gus Dundon
10-29-2013, 5:46 PM
You must be excited to use the saw now. If you want manual, check with dake corp , they have on their website.