PDA

View Full Version : Is Home Depot discontinuing the Ridgid EB4424 Sander?

Gerry Kaslowski
10-15-2013, 9:19 PM
I started out looking at the Shop Fox spindle sander. During my online perusing, I saw the reviews for the RIDGID EB4424 spindle/belt sander. It got great reviews, and at $199, only $50 more than the Shop Fox. My local Home Depot does not have them in stock, along with about 3/4 of the Home Depot stores within about 50 miles. The rest show 'limited quantities'. I went to one of the stores that said it was in stock. All they had was the beat up demo on sale for $20 off. A lot of the latest comments I read mentioned motors going out in a short time with long replacement times. It's sounding less like a good buy.

Brian Millspaw
10-15-2013, 10:16 PM
I hope not, I have been using this sander in a pretty professional setting for 3 years and I love it. The switch broke and the bearings have been rattling a bit, but I told myself that I would buy another when it's gone. Vs. buying an industrial spindle sander + something else for edges. IMHO this is the best value in spindle sanders.
-Brian

Rich Riddle
10-15-2013, 10:40 PM
Have several at both the local Home Depot stores close to our house. At a discount store in Gatlinburg, they discount these to about $125. They look like returns. Not sure why they have dozens of them.

Malcolm Schweizer
10-16-2013, 6:40 AM
I have one and I love it. The motor does bog down a little easier than I would like, but you can't beat the versatility. They still have them at my HD store. Home Depot seems to be slow to restock at times.

Gabe Shackle
10-16-2013, 10:29 AM
I believe they only stock them in the stores where they expect to sell them in quantity. There are a lot of specific power tools that they offer on the web site that you can have shipped to the store, but they don't keep them on hand in the building.

Wade Lippman
10-16-2013, 12:07 PM
I don't know about the discontinuing part, but mine broke. The local repair shop fixed it for free in about a week, even though I had no receipt. Can't beat that.

It is horribly underpowered, but for the price it is great. It would be a shame if they discontinued it.

glenn bradley
10-16-2013, 1:49 PM
Order online and choose store pickup. I ran one for years and liked it so much I eventually upgraded to a full sized oscillating edge sander and a seperate oscillating spindle/Disc combo. My point it that for $200 and at 40lbs, it is quite a bargain and a very useful little guy. I would keep mine in a cabinet and just lift it onto the bench for use and put it away when done. My dad is still using it.

Gerry Kaslowski
10-25-2013, 10:54 PM
Well... I went on a weeks vacation and decided to make my decision when I got back. I check, and now there is not one available in Southern California. I found at least 20 before I left, even if I had to drive to get it. Now, do I wait or order the Fox spindle sander I was looking at Amazon? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DPYSHA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1CS9J7N8BW2AO&coliid=I2YRHHE4VMC80F

Rich Enders
10-26-2013, 12:05 AM
Gerry,

Best unit I have owned. And the lifetime warranty. Mine was $50 off because the HD salesman was tired of me coming by and drooling.

Paul Wunder
10-26-2013, 8:35 AM
Below is a direct Q&A from the Ridgid website re the EB4424 from a prospective buyer:

Oscillating spindle sander, is this tool up for discontinuation? I am considering this for purchase.
1 week, 1 day ago
Witz (https://ridgid.ugc.bazaarvoice.com/profiles/2618orange-en/363/profile.htm)

Answer this question

Answers

Number one contributor

This item is obsolete with no replacement.

Thank you
RIDGID
1 week, 1 day ago
RIDGID (https://ridgid.ugc.bazaarvoice.com/profiles/2618orange-en/BrandAnswes_Ridgid/profile.htm)

Was this helpful?helpful0unhelpful1

Report inappropriate content

The following is a Q&A that I started on the product page of the Home Depot Website. Both answers leave e scratching my head.
Is This Tool Being Discontinued? According to the Ridgid website, this tool is obsolete and is being discontinued. When I called Ridgid to verify this I was told that Home Depot was the only distributor of this product and that I should contact them.

This is a highly rated tool and there is nothing like it on the market. I would hate to see it cancelled. Can someone from HD answer this question?

Thanks
Answer this question

Answer (1)
RIDGID (http://reviews.homedepot.com/profiles/1999m/BRAND_ANSWERS_Ridgid/profile.htm)

http://homedepot.ugc.bazaarvoice.com/answers/1999m/475/badge.jpg

October 21, 2013
This a distribution/availability related question that Home Depot would need to address for you.

Roger Rayburn
10-26-2013, 11:55 PM
Amazon still has a few in stock http://www.amazon.com/Ridgid-EB4424-Sander-Oscillating-Edge/dp/B0015B9G0S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382846032&sr=8-1&keywords=eb4424

Brett Robson
10-27-2013, 12:49 AM
Ridgid still shows it on their website, along with their jointer, which was rumored to be discontinued some time back. I checked the availability of the sander on HD's website. Around my location, there are more than 10 available in the stores.

Sounds like ordering one online and having it shipped to your local store might be the best option.

Gerry Kaslowski
10-27-2013, 2:03 AM
Well... Before I drove home from the Sierras my wife suggested I try the stores on the way home. There were lots available. I picked up one in Loma Linda. All three that they had were covered in dust. The spare set of sander spindles also looked like it had been there a long time. We'll see how it goes when I try it out tomorrow.

P.S. This is before I read the newest... like it being discontinued.

John McClanahan
10-27-2013, 9:47 AM
$329 on amazon? Wow! HD sells them for $199. Less when on sale.

George Bokros
10-27-2013, 10:16 AM

$329.99 plus $26.99 shipping compared to $199 plus your local tax.

John TenEyck
10-27-2013, 10:25 AM

When are they on sale? I hear this from time to time, but have never seen it on sale at my local HD's. I'd buy one, even at full price, but hate over paying if patience will get me a better deal.

John

John McClanahan
10-27-2013, 10:56 AM
I haven't shopped for one, but I think I remember seeing them on sale once at HD for $179. If I didn't already have other sanders, I would own one of these.

John

glenn bradley
10-27-2013, 11:11 AM
When are they on sale? I hear this from time to time, but have never seen it on sale at my local HD's. I'd buy one, even at full price, but hate over paying if patience will get me a better deal.

John

From the sound of things, if you want one I would go to Home Depot and buy it, process the Lifetime Service Agreement correctly and move on. If the tool is going to disappear, I wouldn't wait for a sale to save $20 on a tool I would expect use for a decade ;-).

Jack Wilson50
10-27-2013, 2:26 PM
That would be a shane, I use mine all the time.

Rich Enders
10-27-2013, 2:51 PM
Ridgid still shows it as a current item on the website, and HD shows 25 in stock at locations within 20 miles of Scottsdale. This does not sound like something that is going to be discontinued soon.

If ever discontinued, we should all go together and buy the rights as there is nothing like it.

John Downey
10-29-2013, 12:40 PM
I bought one of those a couple months ago and really like it. Picked up a huge number of sanding sleeves from a surplus vendor - all Rigid packaged. That lead me to credit the discontinuing rumors I've been hearing.

I've not stalled it out, I have to wonder about that... I have had the sleeves slip a bit, since others have warned not to over tighten the nut I tend to run it as loose as I can without slippage. Worst of the "self tightening" nut problem seems to be while using the belt, not the sleeves.

Roger Rayburn
10-30-2013, 1:16 AM
I bought one of those a couple months ago and really like it. Picked up a huge number of sanding sleeves from a surplus vendor - all Rigid packaged. That lead me to credit the discontinuing rumors I've been hearing.

I've not stalled it out, I have to wonder about that... I have had the sleeves slip a bit, since others have warned not to over tighten the nut I tend to run it as loose as I can without slippage. Worst of the "self tightening" nut problem seems to be while using the belt, not the sleeves.

I experienced the nut tightening until I included a washer below the nut. It's a different washer from the ones for the spindles because the shaft has to pass through the washer but it is a smaller diameter so that it will fit "inside" the belt "axle". It's really easy to overlook the need for this washer. I don't remember if a washer for that came with the sander or from my shop parts. If I'm not clear enough let me know and I'll measure the one I use.

Ron Tancrede
10-31-2013, 2:06 PM
I work at a HD in Maine. We still carry this sander and no indication that it will be discontinued or marked down!

CPeter James
10-31-2013, 5:57 PM
I was in a HD in NH and they had at least 3 in stock.

CPeter

Garth Almgren
10-31-2013, 7:58 PM
There are over 20 of them within 15 miles of me according to HD's website. Wish I had the $199 plus tax to spend on it right now. :)

Ron Kellison
10-31-2013, 8:26 PM
FWIW, I have one of these and it works very well. Of course, I would like to own something with the name Progress or Clayton on it but I can't afford the divorce lawyer that would come along with them! :)

Ron