PDA

View Full Version : Got my first motorcycle today(added a picture)

curtis rosche
10-15-2013, 8:14 PM
Bought my first bike today. A 1988 Yamaha route 66 250. Its got 15k miles on it, and is in pretty good shape. Atleast I thought until I couldn't get it outta first and into neutral. But other than that it runs good. Anyone have one of these bikes that had that problem? Is it an easy fix? Im gonna take it to the local bike shop, but was curious if it might be something I could do

Pat Barry
10-15-2013, 9:02 PM
I used to have an older Honda that was tricky to find neutral. Clicking up from 1st was kinda hard and would often slide right into second. It was easier to gently drop into neutral from 2nd gear. I think the clutch needed adjustment but I lived with it

Brett Robson
10-15-2013, 11:38 PM
I've had several bikes over the years that have been hard to find neutral when lifting out of first. My work bike sometimes requires feathering the clutch just a smidge while lifting the shifter to pop into neutral.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-16-2013, 12:22 AM
Curtis,

I would suggest that it's important to remember to make yourself noticeable to other drivers by riding with your headlight on and using turn signals.

Wear a brain bucket!

Rich Engelhardt
10-16-2013, 6:45 AM
In addition to what Ken said - grow eyes in the back of and on the sides of your head & assume every other driver on the road is out to kill you....

Oh yeah,,,find a nice long road with a lot of gentle curves.

curtis rosche
10-16-2013, 8:42 AM
In addition to what Ken said - grow eyes in the back of and on the sides of your head & assume every other driver on the road is out to kill you....

Oh yeah,,,find a nice long road with a lot of gentle curves.
I got a new helmet, and a bright colored riding jacket with the protective gaurds is in the works. Ans theres planty of long windy roads around here, just gotta watch out for horse droppings

John Huds0n
10-16-2013, 10:20 AM
A 250 is a great size to start on. I suggest you find a good forum and do a lot of reading. Also, one of the *safest* devices you should consider installing (IMO) is a headlight modulator. It oscillates the frequency of the headlight so people can see you coming

https://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=2

Phil Thien
10-16-2013, 11:07 AM
I've had several bikes over the years that have been hard to find neutral when lifting out of first. My work bike sometimes requires feathering the clutch just a smidge while lifting the shifter to pop into neutral.

I agree w/ all the comments on neutral. It was always easier for me to find neutral from 2nd as well.

Michael Weber
10-16-2013, 11:20 AM
All good advise so far. Find a MSF motorcycle class and take it. Local dealers should be able to give you info on local classes. I ride a Honda 750 and finding neutral is always iffy. You adjust and it gets easier. BTW, having your bike in neutral while riding is not recommended and one of the things you will learn in the MSF course. You always want to be in a proper gear so that you can move out of trouble if it occurs. Congratulations, riding a bike is fun and a different experience from driving or riding in a car but ALWAYS be aware of the possibility of cagers (car drivers) not seeing you. Motorcycle accidents involving cars always end with the car driver saying "I never saw him". There are lots of forums for motorcycles of all brands and makes with lots of good help available. Good Luck

Stew Hagerty
10-16-2013, 12:22 PM
Sweet ride. I got my first bike when I was 12. It was a Honda Mini-Trail 50. At the time, it was the right size for me to learn on. This bike appears to be just the right size for you to learn on. 250 is a great size for cruising around town. My last bike before I got sick was a Honda Shadow, so I love cruisers. I like the color too. Riding a bike is all about watching what's going on around you. You have an unlimited field of vision. USE IT!

Oh, and ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET!! Ride defensive, ride sensible, and you'll ride safe.

As for your shifting problem, I will assume that a Yamaha is mechanically similar to my V-Twin Honda. That being the case, I'm guessing that your linkage simply needs adjusting. There is a detent for neutral in between 1st & 2nd that should be adjustable. Pick up a service manual:

http://www.servicerepairmanualonline.com/418/1988-2005-yamaha-xv250-virago-250-route-66-manual/

Take a look through it. If it's something you feel comfortable doing, give it a try.

Harry Hagan
10-16-2013, 3:27 PM
If you’re a new rider—take a Basic Rider Course to help develop your riding skills and good habits. Successful completion in Kentucky qualifies you for a license skill test waiver and a possible insurance discount.

And run a loud muffler. Those car-driving zombies need to know they should be paying attention!

Rick Moyer
10-16-2013, 5:18 PM
And run a loud muffler. Those car-driving zombies need to know they should be paying attention!
Totally disagree with this statement, and I HAD obnoxiously loud pipes on one bike I had. all that does is pi$$ people off and makes all bikers look bad in their eyes. Don't override your skill level, and definitely take the Basic Rider Course whether you get any discounts or not.

Mike Chance in Iowa
10-16-2013, 5:39 PM
Congratulations on your first purchase. Your new mantra should be ATGATT. (google it)

+1 to all the comments on taking classes. Check with your local bike shops and see what they have to offer. Many of the good shops will have resources and contacts on clubs and riding clinics. Another awesome resource is your local motorcycle road racing club. You can learn SO MUCH about proper riding skills and bike handling thru those guys. Don't let the road racing idea scare you off. You can learn many life-saving skills and meet some great new people while you're there.

+1 to Rick Moyer. Loud pipes do not save lives. Enough said on that topic.

Last, but not least. Make sure you "courtesy wave" the bikes you pass. It doesn't matter if they are HD's, cruisers or street bikes.

Jim Matthews
10-16-2013, 5:58 PM
At least have the fluids changed, before pursuing expensive repairs.

These things are built for novice riders, it will take some abuse.
If you're a newbie, take a defensive driving course.

You're invisible, until after the accident.

ray hampton
10-16-2013, 6:19 PM
Totally disagree with this statement, and I HAD obnoxiously loud pipes on one bike I had. all that does is pi$$ people off and makes all bikers look bad in their eyes. Don't override your skill level, and definitely take the Basic Rider Course whether you get any discounts or not.

Loud muzzles may piss some people off BUT a loud muzzle will help the hard of hearing driver to noticed you and do not forget about the driver with a Loud radio

John Sanford
10-16-2013, 6:55 PM
Last, but not least. Make sure you "courtesy wave" the bikes you pass. It doesn't matter if they are HD's, cruisers or street bikes. Or scooters. If they're on two wheels, with no pedals, then give 'em a wave.

Get more protective gear ASAP. That means gloves, boots, and riding pants, in that order of priority. Boots are really the only one of the three where non-mc specific gear can be a decent substitute. Jeans provide slightly more protection than a t-shirt. Slightly.

Ear plugs. Use 'em. Your motorcycle may not be very loud, but the wind roaring by at 65mph will be.

Insure that the following are done, either by the shop or yourself:

Linkage adjustment on the shifter.
Change the oil. If the oil does *NOT* say "energy conserving" on the 'shield' then it can be used in wet-clutch bikes. Motorcycles with wet clutches (the vast majority) are picky about oil. Do NOT use a "high mileage" or "extended life" oil, they have additives which will disagree with your clutch. O'Reilly's Auto Parts currently has a sale on Mobil 1 synthetics, the one by me applied the sale price to the motorcycle Mobil 1 as well.

Change the coolant (if it is liquid cooled).
Change the brake fluid.

Strongly suggested.

Add a headlight modulator.
Add a brakelight modulator.
Replace the pathetic stock horn with a Fiamm Freeway Blaster or equivalent.

Welcome to the road, enjoy, and beware. Motorcycling can be addicting...

John Sanford
10-16-2013, 7:06 PM
Loud muzzles may piss some people off BUT a loud muzzle will help the hard of hearing driver to noticed you and do not forget about the driver with a Loud radio
A pipe loud enough to help the hard of hearing driver in a modern non-econo sedan hear you is going to be loud enough to attract every cop in 5 miles. The idea that "loud pipes save lives" had far more validity in the day of open cab Model T's without radios than it does in our modern age of Blaupunkt sound systems in a Mercedes S Class luxury car. In short, the cost of using loud pipes (p'o'd public, cardiac'd geezers, your own hearing loss, entertaining encounters with The Law, etc) have gone up significantly while the potential benefits have, simply due to changes in cars, have gone down. One cannot say categorically that loud pipes WILL NEVER SAVE ANOTHER LIFE, but the odds of doing so are much lower than they once were, while the cost continues to escalate.

There is no "will" save or "will" piss off, merely "may".

Mike Chance in Iowa
10-16-2013, 7:52 PM
Or scooters. If they're on two wheels, with no pedals, then give 'em a wave.

Doh! How could I forget to add them? Yes. We must wave to the scooters too!! We don't see them on the road very often, although I'm sure they are around more populated towns and cities. :)

ray hampton
10-16-2013, 8:07 PM
A pipe loud enough to help the hard of hearing driver in a modern non-econo sedan hear you is going to be loud enough to attract every cop in 5 miles. The idea that "loud pipes save lives" had far more validity in the day of open cab Model T's without radios than it does in our modern age of Blaupunkt sound systems in a Mercedes S Class luxury car. In short, the cost of using loud pipes (p'o'd public, cardiac'd geezers, your own hearing loss, entertaining encounters with The Law, etc) have gone up significantly while the potential benefits have, simply due to changes in cars, have gone down. One cannot say categorically that loud pipes WILL NEVER SAVE ANOTHER LIFE, but the odds of doing so are much lower than they once were, while the cost continues to escalate.

There is no "will" save or "will" piss off, merely "may".

You are right in some towns because the driver keep the A C or heater going and every window close

Christopher Clark
10-16-2013, 8:22 PM
Don't worry about neutral. You're stopped when you need it and if you're riding the last thing you want is an accidental shift to neutral.
...Loud pipes may work if they pointed forward, but they don't.
Bright clothing and helmets help you get noticed by texting, inattentive drivers. I wear a fluorescent yellow helmet and bright yellow striped jackets when I ride on the street. Stay alert, a car always wins in an accident.
Have fun on your new bike!

Rick Potter
10-17-2013, 2:51 AM
Very nice,

Sure beats my first bike, a 1947 Cushman single speed motor scooter. It took a documented 30 seconds to go from a start and cross a 4 lane street.

Have fun, stay safe.

Rick Potter

Jason Roehl
10-17-2013, 10:11 AM
If it won't click into neutral, try manually rolling the bike forward or backward a few inches.

Loud pipes are just annoying. Period. I've had plenty of mid-life-crisis-Harleys-with-crazy-loud-pipes come up behind me, and I didn't hear them until they were next to me--because the pipes are pointed rearward. Modern car cabins are very well insulated from exterior noise, and are getting better and far more prevalent. And the people who will hate your loud pipes the most are your neighbors because they will hear them the most, especially as you're warming up the bike in a high idle. They're also not good for your own hearing.

Assume NO ONE sees you. Don't hang out behind/next to semis--they kick up LOTS of crap off the road, and if they lose a tread (happens often)...

Also, remember that you can stop very quickly. This has great advantages, but not if someone is following you too closely (let them pass, don't speed up, or they'll just be tailgating you at a higher speed, which is worse).

ray hampton
10-17-2013, 11:54 AM
If it won't click into neutral, try manually rolling the bike forward or backward a few inches.

Loud pipes are just annoying. Period. I've had plenty of mid-life-crisis-Harleys-with-crazy-loud-pipes come up behind me, and I didn't hear them until they were next to me--because the pipes are pointed rearward. Modern car cabins are very well insulated from exterior noise, and are getting better and far more prevalent. And the people who will hate your loud pipes the most are your neighbors because they will hear them the most, especially as you're warming up the bike in a high idle. They're also not good for your own hearing.

Assume NO ONE sees you. Don't hang out behind/next to semis--they kick up LOTS of crap off the road, and if they lose a tread (happens often)...

Also, remember that you can stop very quickly. This has great advantages, but not if someone is following you too closely (let them pass, don't speed up, or they'll just be tailgating you at a higher speed, which is worse).

I wonder about how many of you drivers that charge lanes when a motor cycle are beside your car and you can not see them and can not here them because someone told them that loud pipes are out, I have cars also pull up beside the vehicle that I were driving and the cars were hard to see so my post are against any vehicle driver whom try to dance with the bigger vehicle

Pat Barry
10-17-2013, 12:36 PM
Riding a bike can be a great experience or a complete disaster and the experience can change from great to disaster in an instant, literally. As a motorcycle rider you HAVE TO ASSUME that you are not seen by other drivers. Therefore you need to be hyper-aware of your surroundings. Lots of good advice posted but its up to you to stay out of potentially nasty situations and never to trust the other drivers, regardless of who has the right of way, for example. You have to make yourself seen and you have to avoid being in the blind spots of other drivers. Being visible though loud pipes can help in some situations I suppose but, I think driving very defensively makes a lot more sense. Just think that every situation can quickly lead to you being in grave danger. Strange things happen - I've had bee's fly into my helmet and sting me while driving in heavy traffic on the freeway. I've been hit in the forehead by a small rock that came off the dump truck 4 cars ahead of me. I've had cars make left turns (and stop in the intersection) right in front of me. I've had buses and trucks cut me off while waiting for a stop light at an intersection. Any of these could have ended up with me in an ambulance or hearse.

Rod Sheridan
10-17-2013, 12:37 PM
How true, loud pipes do not help with safety, loud clothing does.

My BMW has a decal on the back that says "loud shirts save lives", I wear a hi viz Darien jacket, orange helmet and the bike has hi viz tank panniers and tank bag.

Enjoy your new bike, take a rider training course if you haven't, I taught for years and I gurantee that you'll never learn through trial and error what the course will teach you.............Oh, and always use ATGATT....................All The Gear, All The Time................Rod

Jeremy Hamaker
10-17-2013, 1:07 PM
Curtis, that's a really cool looking bike! I like the color and the styling. They give it a vintage look I really enjoy. Congratulations!

My two (or more) cents on the above:
Yes, ATGATT. The pavement doesn't care that you were only 1/2 a mile from your house on a quick dash for a cheeseburger, vs. a cross-state ride. If you're on the bike ever, you could be off it. So you need all of your gear, all of the time.
Yes, wear a helmet, always, regardless of the laws of your state. (anti-helmet law myself, rabidly PRO helmet).
Always make it FULL-FACE. The majority of head-involved motorcycle crashes include a hit to the jaw (according to a study I read...). Personally, I'm sitting at my desk right now with my 'reminder' of a year-ago sitting next to me. The -divots- in the helmet's chin-bar and the completely scraped up plastic shield are testament to where my jaw and face would have been permanently destroyed...
Yes, get thee to a motorcycle course first thing!!
A personal recommendation is to read and re-read the following books, yearly: Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough, and More Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough.
Don't let all this danger talk -scare- you, but do let it motivate you to be educated and do what's necessary to reduce unnecessary risk, and still maximize Joy!!
(and do be patient with all us advice-givers...)

ray hampton
10-17-2013, 1:12 PM
How true, loud pipes do not help with safety, loud clothing does.

My BMW has a decal on the back that says "loud shirts save lives", I wear a hi viz Darien jacket, orange helmet and the bike has hi viz tank panniers and tank bag.

Enjoy your new bike, take a rider training course if you haven't, I taught for years and I gurantee that you'll never learn through trial and error what the course will teach you.............Oh, and always use ATGATT....................All The Gear, All The Time................Rod

you know about the blind spot , so what good are loud clothes when the driver are in front of your cycle ? DO WE had a blind spot where we can not heard any sound

Jason Roehl
10-17-2013, 1:34 PM
you know about the blind spot , so what good are loud clothes when the driver are in front of your cycle ? DO WE had a blind spot where we can not heard any sound

I was taught to turn my head to check my blind spot, in addition to using my mirrors. Bright clothing will help the speck of a motorcycle stand out in a mirror or peripheral vision.

The point is to make yourself visible at a greater distance. I was also taught to be looking 12 seconds ahead at all times whatever I'm driving. If your clothing on a motorcycle causes you to blend in until you're within 3 seconds of a driver, you're more likely to cause a driver to make a mistake when they have to suddenly adapt to your presence. But, if you quickly stand out when you're 12 seconds away, you'll be a part of the other driver's Situational Awareness much longer, allowing them more time to take you into consideration in their driving plan.

Art Mann
10-17-2013, 1:47 PM
The David Hough books are excellent. It may sound dopey to sit down and read a book when you are trying to learn to ride a motorcycle but his books gave me a better understanding than I ever got from a basic rider course. I learned a lot from them and I had already been riding off and on for 30 years.

Steve Meliza
10-17-2013, 3:46 PM
Loud pipes do save lives, obnoxious pipes are just going to make you a jerk.

In July 2000 I bought a new H-D Softail and in the first month there were two instances where a car tried changed lanes onto me, forcing me to take evasive action. The first instance I was driving through town on my way to work when a lady came out of a bank parking lot and I was forced to dive into a gap in the row of parked cars or be crushed. I was wearing a reflective orange vest at the time so clearly that was not enough. A few weeks later I was on I-5 doing 65-70MPH in the left lane when a van that I was starting to pass decided to move left on top of me to pass the car in front of him. I wasn't wearing the orange vest at the time, but I doubt it would have helped since there wasn't a lot of traffic or other distractions on the road that would have made me difficult to see.

Fearing for my life I purchased aftermarket mufflers that were just loud enough to give a sweet rumble when idling and a solid roar at wide open throttle, but sedate enough that I could sneak off to work at 5am without waking the neighborhood or drive past a cop car and not worry if he'd pull me over. Here we are 13 years later and I've not once had someone try to pull into my lane on top of me since I got rid of the OEM mufflers. I have had some people turn out in front of me, but that's not something loud pipes can help with.

That's how Steve sees it.

John Huds0n
10-17-2013, 4:06 PM
I mentioned in post #7 - if you really want to be visible, install a headlight modulator
https://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=2

It oscillates the high beam so that it appears that the headlight is flashing and really gets peoples attention. Perfectly legal in all 50 states, in fact there is a federal law permitting it.

All loud pipes do is annoy people, IMO

Phil Thien
10-17-2013, 4:09 PM
Bought my first bike today. A 1988 Yamaha route 66 250. Its got 15k miles on it, and is in pretty good shape. Atleast I thought until I couldn't get it outta first and into neutral. But other than that it runs good. Anyone have one of these bikes that had that problem? Is it an easy fix? Im gonna take it to the local bike shop, but was curious if it might be something I could do

I just thought of something in regards to neutral.

If the bike is chain drive, make sure the chain is snug. Every bike I ever rode with a loose chain had a more difficult to find neutral. A very slight snugging (via the chain tensioner) made neutral a heckuva lot easier to find.

Art Mann
10-17-2013, 4:17 PM
Anecdotal evidence doesn't really prove anything. For example, I ride a Honda Goldwing, which is one of the quietest motorcycles on the road. I have never had a near death experience such as has been described and until recently, I typically rode between 6,000 and 10,000 miles a year. I have had a few close calls but I can't say any of them would have been prevented if my motorcycle were loud. I don't claim my experience proves anything. On the other hand, loud mufflers definitely anger other motorists and give motorcycling a bad name. I know that for a fact because I hear it all the time from people who also comment about how quiet my motorcycle is.

Chris Walls
10-19-2013, 9:40 PM
Curtis
Two things mentioned about the neutral , one check the type of oil required in the owners manual and change it with a new filter. Also check the clutch linkage adjustment , sometimes it's just dragging a little. Do attend a riders course, I did after riding for many years and learned a lot. I'm also a ATGATT rider. Hi visibility Darian jacket, full face helmet. My current ride is a R 1150 GS , BMW , Enjoy your new ride and staff safe. I'll pass on the headlight modulator ,I don't like them. And I rather like the quiet pipes, never understood the need for some of those really loud exhausts.
Chris

Kurt Strandberg
10-20-2013, 1:20 PM
If loud pipes save lives, then why do people get hit by train?

they are loud and going in a straight line?

Pat Barry
10-20-2013, 1:42 PM
OK - call me a loud pipe defender but to me there are two vehicle 'noises' that I love to hear. One is a big Harley with standard equipment muffler and the other is a big block Chevy V8 with headers, dual exhaust and glass pack mufflers. I love the rumble of both, and neither has the 'bark' that annoy's folks so much.

Mike Chance in Iowa
10-20-2013, 2:32 PM
There is always going to be a debate on what is best. If loud pipes save lives, shouldn't there be a lot more deaths involving Prius and pedal bikes? If flashing headlights save lives, why are so many drunks attracted to flashing lights and hitting police cars & disabled vehicles on the side of the road?

We all can share horror stories and many of us have lost family and/or friends who died while riding. The best thing to do is to become the best rider you can, always be aware and continue to educate yourself. No matter what type of bike you ride, you can always learn something new by watching other bikes and their riding styles. (Even if it's learning what NOT to do!) When you think you know everything .... seriously look at other types of bikes and how they ride, mentor new riders and you'll soon learn you will always have more to learn about bikes and riding skills!

Another great set of books and videos is Keith Code's - A Twist of the Wrist and A Twist of the Wrist 2. While it was marketed for roadracers, it shows the fundamental and physics of riding any bike from cruiser to sportbike. Most of the book content apply to all bikes and only has 1-2 chapters dedicated to roadracing.

ray hampton
10-20-2013, 2:55 PM
people get hit by airplanes TOO [while the plane are on the ground, not flying]are the plane silent or noisy

ray hampton
10-20-2013, 3:05 PM
If loud pipes save lives, then why do people get hit by train?

they are loud and going in a straight line?

maybe the person are deaf or maybe the person are playing a radio, I walk the tracks as a child and i could feel the vibrations from the train before I saw it or heard it

Mac McQuinn
10-20-2013, 4:50 PM
Rather than spend money on louder mufflers which may be illegal under Federal, State, and local laws not to mention local noise ordinances, I chose to invest in several advanced rider courses over the years. Over the 40+ years I've been riding, the skills I've learned have not only kept me safe, they've increased my riding enjoyment 10 fold. Basically speaking, the more you know, the more enjoyable the ride becomes. At the end of the day, isn't that why we ride?
Mac

Art Mann
10-20-2013, 5:30 PM
OK - call me a loud pipe defender but to me there are two vehicle 'noises' that I love to hear. One is a big Harley with standard equipment muffler and the other is a big block Chevy V8 with headers, dual exhaust and glass pack mufflers. I love the rumble of both, and neither has the 'bark' that annoy's folks so much.

Standard equipment HD mufflers aren't particularly loud or obnoxious. You have to pay extra to aggravate other people.

Pat Barry
10-20-2013, 5:41 PM
Standard equipment HD mufflers aren't particularly loud or obnoxious. You have to pay extra to aggravate other people.
Thats what I mean, but they sure sound nice!

curtis rosche
10-20-2013, 9:48 PM
Went about 200 miles this weekend, so nice to do it on such little gas! I always wear a helmet and high-vis orange. I tried to register for the bike course but its full near me till the spring.

John Sanford
10-21-2013, 1:07 AM
maybe the person are deaf or maybe the person are playing a radio, I walk the tracks as a child and i could feel the vibrations from the train before I saw it or heard it

Right, and it's certainly true that a soccer mom in a luxury SUV, with a crying toddler and two bickering children behind her, all the windows rolled up, will have the same sensitivity to the low frequency vibrations of a puny little 88 ci engine in a 700lb vehicle with rubber tires running on an asphalt road as a child walking in open air will have to the low frequency vibrations of 3-5 635 cubic inch, 2000+ hp engines driving 100+ ton locomotives pulling 30-100+ steel wheeled railroad cars on steel rails.

Curtis,

Glad you enjoyed the ride. Do yourself a favor and look farther afield for the class.

Steve Rozmiarek
10-21-2013, 9:54 AM
Having the misfortune of living in the proximity of Sturgis, South Dakota during the late summer, I have a few requests of any new motorcycle operator. Please don't travel in monolithic packs of 20 or so bikes that are impossible for other motorists to operate their vehicles around safely. Please don't use loud exhaust, the excuse of safety is erroneous. An oncoming vehicle doesn't hear a motorcycle until it is too late because of the Doppler effect. What it does do though, is cause trouble with all your neighbors. It is the reason I avoid the Black Hills in the summer, the constant, inescapable barrage of racket from infantile operators of overpriced motorcycle pipes is mind numbing. Third, please wear a helmet, always. Nebraska is a helmet law state, and I have personally seen two fatality accidents where the Sturgis bound hoard stops that the first opportunity into South Dakota to remove theirs. The last thing, follow the laws like everyone else has too. Motorcycles can be extraordinarily fast and impossible for the police to ticket, but riding one in that manner will kill you.

That all being said, they are a blast to ride, and responsible, courteous operators are no problem at all to coexist with.

Mike Wilkins
10-21-2013, 10:15 AM
Congrats on the new bike acquisition. You will love the experience. Nothing much to add here in regards to bike ownership. Other than to strongly recommend proper gear when riding. I know what road rash feels like, and I don't like it.

Dennis Peacock
10-22-2013, 2:50 PM
Curtis,
Familiarize yourself with the DVD video "Ride Like A Pro" and his other video "Surviving The Mean Streets". I've been riding motorcycle for over 45 years. I can tell you all kinds of realities of riding motorcycle. Check around for other offerings of a motorcycle safety course. The one I took just 6 years ago was taught by a nationally certified Law Enforcement officer that teaches motor-cops how to ride police motorcycles.
Always ride your bike like you are totally invisible. Always make eye contact with those that are pulling up to turn left in front of you. Always keep lots of space between you and as many of the cages (cars) as you can. Watch what others are doing inside their cars.....that alone can give you a clue if they will pull over on you or not. Wear your safety gear. Make yourself as visible as possible.....The motor cops here reminded me that cars don't even see them coming a lot of times...and they are running with bright-lights on, flashing lights, sirens, and a 900 pound bike coming down the road.

You can ride safely....you can avoid accidents....ride responsible....ride with your head on a swivel and leave plenty of space around you. Congrats on your bike.....be safe and enjoy.....because I know I have for the last 40+ years of riding. I'm now on motorcycle # 22. :)

Steve Meliza
10-22-2013, 4:36 PM
I have found that some drivers can appear to look you in the eye and still not see you. The eyes tell me nothing which is why I prefer to look at the front wheels of cars. I always assume that the driver of the car doesn't see me.

Brett Robson
10-22-2013, 10:50 PM
possible.....The motor cops here reminded me that cars don't even see them coming a lot of times...and they are running with bright-lights on, flashing lights, sirens, and a 900 pound bike coming down the road.

Ain't that the truth!

Leigh Betsch
10-23-2013, 11:48 PM
I've had quite a few bikes over the years. There is some danger in them, they are not for everyone. Learn some skills. And never try to prove your bike is faster than the next one, the roads aren't for racing. And ATGATT all the way, even when it's hot.
I could get into quite an argument about my opposition to loud pipes and biker parades but not here, this is a civil form. Steve I'm with you, I avoid Sturgis also. I'd rather ride than park and pose.

Phil Thien
10-24-2013, 10:03 AM
When it comes to safety, I'm sure a lot of it can be learned. But I started riding when I was 18 and one thing I've learned: Some people have it, some people don't. I've been out riding with friends and we're stopped at a red light when I looked over to see a friend fall off his bike. Just standing there, feet should have been firmly planted on the ground. No gravel, oil, anything. This friend had taken two courses in safe riding.

Thinking back to when we were kids, this is one of the same guys that was accident prone in regards to his bicycle. He'd ride into bushes going around a corner, for instance. He seemed to wobble a lot.

I watched another friend drive right into a deer once. Deer ran out in front of him, he had time to emergency stop or nearly so, he tried to swerve to the right (that is what the deer did, too, upon seeing him).

So my advice, when it comes to safety, is this: If you used to fall off your bicycle a lot, or have a lot of bicycle accidents, if you're somewhat accident prone, if you've had a great deal of close calls or accidents in a car, DO NOT RIDE A MOTORCYCLE.

ray hampton
10-24-2013, 12:57 PM
When it comes to safety, I'm sure a lot of it can be learned. But I started riding when I was 18 and one thing I've learned: Some people have it, some people don't. I've been out riding with friends and we're stopped at a red light when I looked over to see a friend fall off his bike. Just standing there, feet should have been firmly planted on the ground. No gravel, oil, anything. This friend had taken two courses in safe riding.

Thinking back to when we were kids, this is one of the same guys that was accident prone in regards to his bicycle. He'd ride into bushes going around a corner, for instance. He seemed to wobble a lot.

I watched another friend drive right into a deer once. Deer ran out in front of him, he had time to emergency stop or nearly so, he tried to swerve to the right (that is what the deer did, too, upon seeing him).

So my advice, when it comes to safety, is this: If you used to fall off your bicycle a lot, or have a lot of bicycle accidents, if you're somewhat accident prone, if you've had a great deal of close calls or accidents in a car, DO NOT RIDE A MOTORCYCLE.

if the above describe you or me then the first cycle better be a tricycle [three-wheel motor cycle ]

Leigh Betsch
10-24-2013, 8:17 PM
273707Trike? No way! Get one of these, lots of fun and like a trike you don't need to balance it at low speed like a real motorcycle either.

Bill Cunningham
10-24-2013, 10:23 PM
Life on a motorcycle can get interesting. You haven't lived until to run over a skunk with a motorcycle, or get hit in the chest of your T-shirt by a June Bug while zooming down the hiway at 80..(I thought I'd been shot!!)

Stew Hagerty
10-24-2013, 11:17 PM
Life on a motorcycle can get interesting. You haven't lived until to run over a skunk with a motorcycle, or get hit in the chest of your T-shirt by a June Bug while zooming down the hiway at 80..(I thought I'd been shot!!)

Hey, that's nothing. I am pretty sure that I swallowed Mothra once.

Rich Enders
10-24-2013, 11:32 PM
And in case you have not heard it already, draft the epithet for your gravestone immediately.... If you let someone else do it they may get the spelling wrong.

Jason Roehl
10-25-2013, 8:56 AM

Bumblebee scored a bullseye on the Adam's Apple at 65 MPH for me...

Bill Cunningham
10-27-2013, 11:52 PM
Bumblebee scored a bullseye on the Adam's Apple at 65 MPH for me...

Also Caught a Starling in my jacket once...

Adam Cruea
10-28-2013, 8:59 AM
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the motorcycling club.

I bought my first motorcycle (2006 FXST) in August 2010 with 7K on the clock. It now has just shy of 48K on the clock.

Here's my pride and joy:

ray hampton
10-28-2013, 3:42 PM
Also Caught a Starling in my jacket once...

Only one, they fly in flocks for a reason

curtis rosche
10-28-2013, 3:52 PM
Already looking for a bigger bike

David Weaver
10-28-2013, 4:02 PM
draft the epithet for your gravestone immediately....

Hey, no reason for him to insult himself if he doesn't make it !! :)

An epitaph would do just fine. (all of the epis are the same to me, too).

Dennis Peacock
10-29-2013, 11:56 PM
Curtis,
Looking around for a bigger bike......yea, I knew that would happen pretty quickly. ;)
Believe it or not....you're going to need something in the 1100 to 1300cc range. If you can find a Honda VT1100C2 Sabre or even a Shadow, that would be a really nice all around bike. I finally settled on a bike that I'm extremely happy with. Moved from a 750 to an 1100, to a 1300 and my last bike until I die is a 1997 Honda Valkyrie, Flat-6, 1500cc. Totally awesome bike, but it a bit much for you for now. A nice used 1100cc bike will be about perfect for you for a while.

Brett Robson
10-30-2013, 1:05 AM
I often recommend one of the various Kawi Vulcan 900 versions to newer riders. There are a ton of used ones around which aren't all that expensive. Plus they look pretty sweet!

Motorcycles, like cars, woodworking, boats, guns and pretty much anything else that's fun, are expensive and a slippery slope. It's only a matter of time until you'll be crunching the numbers to see if a $20k Harley or other similar bike will fit in your budget. :)

Mac McQuinn
10-31-2013, 3:10 PM
Curtis,
I would suggest you put plenty of miles on your present bike before moving to something different. This will give you a better idea of desired improvements on your next motorcycle. In addition, if you need to add the weight of a passenger, require increased power for H/W riding and improved chassis layout for increased comfort, I would test ride motorcycles of different size and types to give you a idea of what to expect. The type, IE. Adventure, Cruiser, Naked, etc while a matter of personal choice is possibly the largest factor in making your decision. Have fun, ride safe.
Mac

Rick Moyer
10-31-2013, 4:50 PM
Curtis,
Looking around for a bigger bike......yea, I knew that would happen pretty quickly. ;)
Believe it or not....you're going to need something in the 1100 to 1300cc range. If you can find a Honda VT1100C2 Sabre or even a Shadow, that would be a really nice all around bike. I finally settled on a bike that I'm extremely happy with. Moved from a 750 to an 1100, to a 1300 and my last bike until I die is a 1997 Honda Valkyrie, Flat-6, 1500cc. Totally awesome bike, but it a bit much for you for now. A nice used 1100cc bike will be about perfect for you for a while.
Boy Dennis you're right there! I sold my Valkyrie a couple years ago but if I ever get another bike I'll look for another one. Had a 2003, last year they made them. Loved that bike, had gobs of power, comfortable, smooth, well you already know that. Just no time to ride. You're right though, for a newer rider it's too big yet. Curtis, get very comfortable with the Route 66. A friend of mine has one. Once you have really good riding skills then you can go bigger. Please heed all the cautionary statements and do take a MSF course. Also someone mentioned "ride like a pro" video, that's very good also. Enjoy!

Adam Cruea
11-01-2013, 9:05 AM
Regarding decking yourself out in HI-VIS gear. . .

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/25/21157422-giant-chicken-crosses-the-road-and-drivers-say-they-didnt-see-it?lite&lite=obnetwork

Don't give yourself the false sense of security.

And I'm not really sure why people recommend itty-bitty bikes to start with. I started on a 88ci FXST (1450CC). I test rode about 5 different bikes at the dealership (or maybe it was 4). A Sportster, Wide Glide, Street Bob, and finally my FXST. I settled on the FXST as it feels like you're sitting *in* the motorcycle, not on top of it.

First bike. I've drug parts going around corners. Trust physics, dude. Use your brain. That bike wants to remain upright when it's in motion. Counter-steering will initiate a lean and hold the lean; don't worry about falling over if you go through a corner fast. Gravel/water ahead? Power through it and trust the bike and physics.

Yes, I realize it's disconcerting when you're mid-turn and you feel the bike get squirrelly. Hold it where it is and it will recover. I used to pee my pants when I first started riding and hit tar snakes and felt the bike get loopy, but I remembered to trust physics. By the time I could have reacted, the bike was already re-adjusting to being on solid pavement without any input from me, and all I would have done is screw things up. Force yourself to relax on the bike.

Matt Day
11-02-2013, 9:54 PM
Curtis,
I would suggest you put plenty of miles on your present bike before moving to something different. This will give you a better idea of desired improvements on your next motorcycle. In addition, if you need to add the weight of a passenger, require increased power for H/W riding and improved chassis layout for increased comfort, I would test ride motorcycles of different size and types to give you a idea of what to expect. The type, IE. Adventure, Cruiser, Naked, etc while a matter of personal choice is possibly the largest factor in making your decision. Have fun, ride safe.
Mac

I would agree. My first (and only so far) bike was a Honda VFR800 and in hindsight I wish I started on a 250. The VFR was awesome once speeds got up but was a lot of bike to handle in slow speed situations; simply a lot of weight for a new rider. Keep that 250 for a year or so and put some miles on it.

And nod please don't get loud pipes, it just pisses people off. The loud is safer line of thought is a bit silly - you need to be aware of you're surroundings and loud pipes is not going to help when you're up against a distracted cageer, but you will piss off the general public.

Ride safe!

ray hampton
11-02-2013, 10:15 PM
I would agree. My first (and only so far) bike was a Honda VFR800 and in hindsight I wish I started on a 250. The VFR was awesome once speeds got up but was a lot of bike to handle in slow speed situations; simply a lot of weight for a new rider. Keep that 250 for a year or so and put some miles on it.

And nod please don't get loud pipes, it just pisses people off. The loud is safer line of thought is a bit silly - you need to be aware of you're surroundings and loud pipes is not going to help when you're up against a distracted cageer, but you will piss off the general public.

Ride safe!

I am for loud pipes even if you think that I amm silly

Brett Robson
11-03-2013, 12:07 AM
And I'm not really sure why people recommend itty-bitty bikes to start with. I started on a 88ci FXST (1450CC). I test rode about 5 different bikes at the dealership (or maybe it was 4). A Sportster, Wide Glide, Street Bob, and finally my FXST. I settled on the FXST as it feels like you're sitting *in* the motorcycle, not on top of it.

It's harder for a new rider to learn the basics of balance and handling with a heavy bike. I went through basic police motor training with a guy that was a brand new rider and hadn't ridden anything other than some old 500cc Kawi he bought to get his endorsement.

In the training, we used our actual police bikes, in our case Honda ST1300s, which are 800-something pounds. He had a really hard time of it and dropped his bike probably 100 times over the course of the two weeks. He nearly failed the class as he just didn't know how to handle a heavy bike at slow speeds.

Power is another factor - more with the sportbikes than the cruisers though. I've seen an awful lot of MC crashes where some young kid/new rider was riding way beyond his abilities on a liter sized sportbike and ended up going down hard.

It's a good idea in the interest of personal safety and protection of your investment to learn to ride on something smaller and lighter before going big.

Matt Day
11-03-2013, 6:47 PM
I am for loud pipes even if you think that I amm silly
We get it Ray, you like loud pipes!

curtis rosche
11-03-2013, 9:44 PM
riding this bike is like riding a pedal bike again, so nimble and easy. But no where near as hard on hills:cool: I wouldn't mind making the pipes a little louder though just so they are hearable at 55, but I don't think that will happen. I plan on keeping this bike atleast till this time next year, unless a great deal comes along first for something larger, or the girlfriend lays claim to it as hers when I move up.

curtis rosche
11-03-2013, 9:47 PM
I do forsee a ratrod type cruiser at some point with a woodturning theme of sorts,,,,

John Sanford
11-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Curtis,
Believe it or not....you're going to need something in the 1100 to 1300cc range. Don't believe it. What you're "going to need" is simply something with a better power to weight ratio. Not something with a massively better P/W ratio. Importantly, all of the bikes recommended by Dennis have poor P/W ratios, so they just keep piling on power AND weight. The Honda Valkyrie is a great bike, it's also a massive bike. You would be much, much better served with new Honda CB500 (any of the three), a Suzuki SV650 or one of it's descendants/siblings 9DL650, SVF650), or a Kawasaki Ninja/Versys 650. If you want a classicly styled modern standard or cruiser, look into the Triumph Bonneville family. For Japanese cruisers, look at the Suzuki "50" series, also Kawasaki and Yamaha have good "mid size" V-Twin cruisers. Understand that "mid size" varies by class of bike. A "mid size" sportbike (600-850cc) can weigh in at less than 450lbs, and put out well over 100hp. A "mid size" cruiser ranges from 750-900cc weigh in at 500-700lbs, and be lucky to make 70hp. My point is that simply looking at engine displacement is a very poor guide for "upsizing."

Some of our readers will disagree with me here, but stay away from any bike more than 20 years old at this stage in your rider development. The advances made in brakes from the 90s to now are well worth it. Also, with the exception of the Magna 750, I would recommend you stay awy from any of the older Honda cruisers not of the VTX family, except the Valkyrie, it's a big honkin' bike, and possibly the new CTX bikes, if you can handle the styling. They aren't bad bikes, simply small and underpowered, especially their 750 V-twins. When you cannot accelerate uphill to freeway speed it makes merging a dicey proposition, and yes, that's how gutless some of the Shadow 750s are...

If you can find a Honda VT1100C2 Sabre or even a Shadow, that would be a really nice all around bike. I finally settled on a bike that I'm extremely happy with. Moved from a 750 to an 1100, to a 1300 and my last bike until I die is a 1997 Honda Valkyrie, Flat-6, 1500cc. Totally awesome bike, but it a bit much for you for now. A nice used 1100cc bike will be about perfect for you for a while.

Really nice all around bikes, used: Honda Nighthawk 750, Honda 599, Magna 750, NC700X. Suzuki Bandit 600, SV650, DL650. Yamaha FZ6. Kawasaki Ninja 650, Verssys 650, E6-N (all based on same 650cc Parallel twin engine), W650 (if you can find one), Moto Guzzi Nevada, Triumph Bonneville (2001+), 600 series Ducati Monsters. Sadly, there aren't any mid-size American made bikes except for the Harley-Davidson Sportster 883/1200, which is physically a smaller bike, but you should be able to find 'em at a great price if it will fit you.

Remember this: It is more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow. The greatest weakness of cruisers is their poor to horrid cornering ability. Since cornering is much (if not most) fo the fun of riding for many, keep that in mind.