PDA

View Full Version : Weekend doin's?

Bob Lasley
05-16-2003, 8:44 AM
Greetings all,

Wow, here it is Friday again. What's going on in your world this weekend? Any prospects for sawdust in your life over the weekend?

I'm going to be charging ahead with my "sleigh bed" crib project. The posts are done, the four end panels glued up and I finished milling the rails and stiles last night. By Sunday night, I hope to at least have the ends done and lumber milled for the sides.

Have a good weekend all,
Bob

Dave Avery
05-16-2003, 9:08 AM
TV Stand for new HT room in our addition

Finish king size bed

Paul Held
05-16-2003, 11:34 AM
Working on a Mohagany Desk

Dennis Peacock
05-16-2003, 12:41 PM
Just working on reorganizing the shop and
working to keep FROM working at work over the weekend.

Ed Marks
05-16-2003, 1:38 PM
Two day class on inlays. Should be interesting.

Sparky Paessler
05-16-2003, 1:52 PM
Saturday I will be putting up trim at a friends lake house all day. Last Saturday I spent 12 hours there installing the skirt boards, risers, & steps on his stair way. Should turn into money for a new tool.

Mike Evertsen
05-16-2003, 2:50 PM
hoping to get my 10x16 barn done framing is almost done just one more window, then the siding and roof,, need to talk someone into putting up the garage door,,,,,

Jim Becker
05-16-2003, 3:02 PM
More kitchen cabinets...and ducking raindrops between the shop and the house.

Kevin Gerstenecker
05-16-2003, 4:16 PM
Finishing up a Slot Car Box, and then on to the 3 Jewelry Boxes for SWMBO, SWMBO Jr.'ette, and my Mom. I just got back from 2 hours at my favorite Sawmill, and after picking thru MANY pieces of Walnut, I came home with a very nice stack of wood for $140.00. (What a way to spend the day off!) The Sawmill owner is a very nice guy, and he just looks at the boards I pick and prices them per board. I need to figure up the board feet to see what I actually paid, but I know it is less than $2.00 pbf. After I was loaded, he even threw in several pieces of Cherry and Pecan that was just laying around, as he said, "in the way". And, as we were taking Barbecue and Smoking Meat, he gave me a big box of Pecan Pieces to use on the Grill and Smoker..........he says it beat the heck out of Hickory for flavor. Nothing like dealing with a local, Country Sawmill for service, quality and deals. Every time I visit his mill, he shows me something cool, and today was no different. He had several Black Walnut Boards that were milled from a single log in the 1960's. Each board was 32 inches wide, and about 10 feet long.........with the prettiest grain you have ever laid eyes on. He said that was the biggest Walnut he has ever sawn. So, now it's on to the Jewelry Boxes.........supposed to rain AGAIN this weekend, so should have plenty of shop time...........DARN THE LUCK! :D

Doug Littlejohn
05-16-2003, 5:53 PM
no sawdust (as usual until the shop is built). I gots to finish the spit bbq I'm building for a pig roast at the end of the month. THen lots more cleanup for the same.

Then, if I get done with time left over, I gets rewarded with weedeating!! Oh Boy!! I can hardly wait!!:rolleyes:

That's all here.

keith zimmerman
05-16-2003, 9:01 PM
I'll get my grinder cabinet built from a modified 18" vanity. Then I can get my sharpening jig installed.

Probably will mow again too. We've had a lot of rain and the grass is growing...fast.

keithz

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
05-16-2003, 9:32 PM
Still fighting the audio card installation battle, but am going around the problem, I hope. Have the new WinXP/home upgrade on my desk and have backed up most of my C drive to a partition on my second hard drive. I'm trying to decide the best method of formatting the C drive before installing the XP upgrade. Guy on a Microsoft newsgroup says I might want to use ntsf instread of FAT32 and let XP reformat the drive. I haven't a clue as to what he is talking about. confused: :confused:

Jim Becker
05-16-2003, 9:38 PM
Originally posted by Don Henthorn
Guy on a Microsoft newsgroup says I might want to use ntsf instread of FAT32 and let XP reformat the drive. I haven't a clue as to what he is talking about. confused: :confused:

NTFS is a more advanced "file system" that was made available back in the Window NT product a number of years ago. It has advantages and disadvantages...the latter is that you can't access the drive from a "DOS" formatted boot floppy if you have problems with the system. The former is that it's fast and secure.

FAT32 is just fine for most folks and I have all of my machines formatted that way. You can reformat your hard drive by making a boot disk from Win98 and using it to start the machine, but that makes it a bit more difficult to install WinXP. I think that the WinXP process may actually allow you to do a clean install without all the rigormoral...it wipes away all the current stuff and installs itself. Check the documentation on that...mine is buried somewhere in this office...

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
05-16-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Jim Becker

FAT32 is just fine for most folks and I have all of my machines formatted that way. I think that the WinXP process may actually allow you to do a clean install without all the rigormoral...it wipes away all the current stuff and installs itself. Check the documentation on that...mine is buried somewhere in this office...

Thanks for the information, Jim. Do I have to use FDISK for the reformat or can I just use the procedure given in Windows Help which is To format a disk on which Windows 98 is installed?

Click Start, click Shut Down, click Restart, and then click OK.
Press and hold the CTRL key until the Microsoft Windows 98 Startup Menu appears.
Select Command prompt only and press ENTER.
At the C:\ prompt, type format c: and press ENTER.
Follow the instructions on your screen.

Jim Becker
05-16-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Don Henthorn
Thanks for the information, Jim. Do I have to use FDISK for the reformat or can I just use the procedure given in Windows Help which is To format a disk on which Windows 98 is installed?

Well...I do use FDISK in the rare moment I'm blowing a drive away, but you need to be sure that you can still use your WinXP Upgrade CD once you do that. (I had major trouble with that when I converted this particular machine I'm tying on to XP) I suggest you first go through the normal "full install" of XP before you start getting down and dirty with your drive. That "full install" should do all the "blowing away" you need if you pick the correct selection from the options presented.

Anthony Yakonick
05-16-2003, 10:44 PM
If the weather works out I'll be doing a craft show on Saturday, if it rains it will be on Sunday. It could be a good show if everything works out, it's put on by an art center in an upscale area.

Anthony