PDA

View Full Version : rubbing out a finish

cathy comer
10-15-2013, 7:11 PM
I am very new to refinishing furniture and have been bitten by the bug. I love it. Now I am the stage after 30 days when its time to rub out the finish. I used pratt and lambert #38 varnish. I had some nubs in the finish. Not lots but a few. I have used 1500 sandpaper with water and then polished it with Briewax. The finish feels like glass and looks great. But when you hold a light on top of it you can see where the nubs were. You can't feel them but you can see they were in the finish. Is this normal? Should I be doing something different. Thanks for your help

Howard Acheson
10-15-2013, 9:41 PM
Did you use Briwax Original? I hope not. Briwax Original contains toluene as it's thinner. It's a very aggressive solvent and frequently damages new un-cured oil based finishes. About 10 years ago Briwax came out with a new formulation called Briwax 2000. This formulation uses a standard mineral spirit thinner. It will not damage new finishes. Briwax is intended as a restoration wax which explains the aggressive thinner. Briwax Original should not be used on a finish that has cure less than a year.

cathy comer
10-15-2013, 11:35 PM
It is the original and it does contain toluene. It has not damaged any of the pieces I have done. Although I have used it very sparingly. What would you recommend as a wax?