PDA

View Full Version : Veritas Small spokeshave kit

Tony Shea
10-15-2013, 6:29 PM
So on the last free shipping event I decided to try out the spokeshave kit LV offered. The build went fairly well and was pretty straight forward. One just needs to be extremely precise on laying out drilling the different sized holes that are required. The brass wear plate was a little tricky due to the tiny dovetail it slides into. Each end of the brass strip needs to have a 10* angle along with a 45* to line up with the throat of the shave. It is hard to see but the plate is also screwed in place and I filed/lapped the screw heads off. Not sure if I'll regret this latter on in case the brass wears out. Will just be an excuse to make another one. If everything turns out accurately you will end up with and incredible spokeshave at the end. I have a few (10 or so) metal spokeshaves and I have to admit that I like the wood low angle version a lot better. The action just seems much more natural. It also buzzes through end grain like it was long grain. This is the first time I've ever had the chance to use a wooden low angle spokeshave, boy have I been missing out.

The kit really is nice and I like the idea of being able to unscrew the posts off the blade in order to sharpen, I do need to break out a special narrow stone to sharpen this thing. Oh and the wood is pear wood. This is nice thing about the brass wear plate, you can pretty much use whatever kind of wood you want.

273060 273059 273061

John Powers
10-15-2013, 8:22 PM
what you've said confirms my suspicions. too much precision called for. I'm a flytyer, boat builder, guitarist but im not a brain surgeon. every time I'm tempted to buy the kit someone like you posts with 5 degrees this and 45 degrees that and I just pull out that little wonder I bought off eBay and shave away. thanks

Tony Shea
10-15-2013, 8:30 PM
Oh man, if you tie flies then you certainly have the patience and precision for this thing. I have tied flies for many years and my father is one of the best in the state. The precision he is capable of with his flies trumps any precision I've ever accomplished in woodworking.

Bruce Haugen
10-16-2013, 12:44 AM
what you've said confirms my suspicions. too much precision called for. I'm a flytyer, boat builder, guitarist but im not a brain surgeon. every time I'm tempted to buy the kit someone like you posts with 5 degrees this and 45 degrees that and I just pull out that little wonder I bought off eBay and shave away. thanks

yabut, it's not nearly as fiddly as you're inclined to think. I made one from the LV kit several years ago, and the thing you need to realize is that it's also capable of tweaking to your own situation, needs and standards. Mine works very well. If you just want something you can slap together and have it work without any thought, then don't get it. If you like making your own stuff, this is a good project.

Hilton Ralphs
10-16-2013, 5:25 AM
Well done Tony. Now you've got me thinking.......

Chris Griggs
10-16-2013, 8:57 AM
Nice work Tony. Love the pear!

Hilton Ralphs
10-16-2013, 9:04 AM
Nice work Tony. Love the pear!

Now is this not the greatest pick up line ever!

Judson Green
10-16-2013, 10:37 AM
Looks like it be a fun little build, challenging but fun. Gotta love those projects that only require a few hours/days. And a small bill of materials.

Chuck Saunders
10-16-2013, 4:17 PM
Ignore the xx degrees stuff. the brass plate dovetails into the body. whatever angle you want to use.