PDA

View Full Version : Again with spoon carving...I love apple wood!

Tony Shea
10-15-2013, 6:13 PM
So I thought I'd post some more pictures of my spoon carving endeavor. Really the only reason Im posting is because I have to share my love of apple wood. I sure do wish I could get actual boards of this stuff as it is my favorite woods of all the woods I've worked with, domestic or foreign. These pictures don't do it justice but in person the colors in this wood is incredibly beautiful. My skills in carving the spoons don't do it justice either but at least this small broken branch will live on.

273052 273053 273054 273055 273056

My girlfriend and I went on a hike on my uncle's land in the woods. My goal was to maybe snag a branch or piece of a fallen tree. We were very impressed with how beautiful and untouched this land still is, just a great place to go walk through the woods. Happened upon probably the biggest pine I have seen in person, not necessarily the biggest diameter but the limbs coming off the tree were something else to see. Again the picture doesn't do this tree justice.

273057 273058

Pat Barry
10-15-2013, 9:13 PM
Tony, Do you use fresh cut apple wood for your spoon carving? Also, thats the craziest looking pine tree ever.

Judson Green
10-15-2013, 9:36 PM
Really cool Tony. Thanks for sharing. Gonna havta try my hand at that. Looks like an excellent stocking stuffer. And fun.

Google "apple wood lumber for sale". I had some crabapple from a local front yard milled up about 20 years ago and of the 8 or so boards only 2 are useful and then only for handles and other small stuff. Don't think the stuff dries well.

Tony Shea
10-16-2013, 5:58 AM
The wood is as fresh cut as possible. I don't like chopping down trees for just to get a couple spoons out of them so 99* of the wood is fallen branches/trees. THis apple was a branch that had fallen and lots of it was unusable. It had started to rot while it was on the tree, which seems fairly common for the apple trees around here.

Chris Griggs
10-16-2013, 8:56 AM
Excellent! Yet another thing I would like to get around to doing one of these days if I ever get roundtuit.

Thanks for sharing Tony.