PDA

View Full Version : Walnut 'piano' bench

Prashun Patel
10-15-2013, 4:08 PM
This is too small to be a real piano bench, but I didn't know how else to name it. I had this odd piece of walnut around for a year or so, and didn't know what to do with it.

C&C welcome.

A lot of people have expressed dislike for that maple stretcher. Just couldn't resist.

Finished with WOP.

Jim Matthews
10-15-2013, 5:56 PM
A lot of people have expressed dislike for that maple stretcher.

They're idiots.

Unless it's SWMBO,
then she's right.

I think the Maple nicely complements the lighter color in the Walnut.

I can't imagine how you carved this...
PSA sandpaper on your backside and slide around until it fit?

I like the way all curves meet in the center of the seat.

Kudos

Art Mann
10-15-2013, 6:39 PM
I really like the sculptured look of that bench. Nice work! In all honesty, I would have made the stretcher out of walnut but your preference is what matters.

Prashun Patel
10-16-2013, 10:45 AM
Thanks all. I do the heavy lifting with an angle grinder, and then finish with spokeshaves and rasps.

Jim Tobias
10-16-2013, 12:03 PM
Very nice! The curves and shape are very pleasing to my eye.
We both have a similar affliction/affection for putting contrasting woods together on a piece.
I like the maple stretcher

Jim

Gordon Eyre
10-16-2013, 12:39 PM
Beautiful bench Prashun. I love your work and this is no exception.

Jim Rimmer
10-16-2013, 1:12 PM
Really nice work. Great figure in the walnut.

glenn bradley
10-16-2013, 1:45 PM
Sweet bench Prashun. I like the contrast of the turned spindles versus the hand shaped seat.

Pat Barry
10-16-2013, 4:18 PM
First off Prashun, this is beautiful work. You are really becoming a master of the sculpted joinery. I recall your Maloof style rocker and at least one other project you have posted with the scultpted features. I am ambivalent about the maple stretcher - I think it looks good as is and would still look good with the walnut. Did you consider sculpting the stretcher attachment to the legs and even possibly the stretchers themselves or did you feel that might distract from the focal point of the project?

Phil Thien
10-16-2013, 5:01 PM
Awesome work! The others are right, you're more than a woodworker, you're an accomplished sculptor working in wood.

Prashun Patel
10-16-2013, 6:19 PM
Thanks for the comments!
Pat, to be honest, this is an experiment. I'm just trying to branch out. I find turned elements elegant, and sculpted work more 'organic'. I'm still searching for a design that balances both. I've done a few projects with completely sculpted joints, and I'm just trying to keep it interesting for myself.

Sculpted joints are also a lot of manual labor and can get a little tedious.

I'm currently working on a cherry bench that will have sculpted elements in the stretcher. Here's the beginnings of it.

I'm experimenting with making the seat and the base separate as suggested in a past issue of FWW. In that sense, it's really structured like a garden bench.

Dan Bowman
10-16-2013, 6:54 PM
Based on that last picture, I have to ask. Just where the heck is your workshop?

Prashun Patel
10-16-2013, 7:57 PM
Kind of looks like Walter White's workshop, right?

My shop is tightly tucked behind a staircase at my company's plant.

BobW Robinson
10-16-2013, 10:22 PM
Well done. Love the shape.

Brett Robson
10-17-2013, 1:26 AM
I think it looks great! You seem to be building more of what I'd consider "studio furniture" - stuff made with more of an artistic flair than strictly driven by function. In that regard I think contrasting woods are perfectly acceptable and in the case of your stretcher, really compliment the overall design of the piece and give your eye a fun little detail to pick out and study! Bravo!

Bryce Adams
10-17-2013, 6:17 AM
Pashun,

Nice piece of work. Seems to me sculpted pieces all start with good joinery, and you did a great job on the leg-to-top joints.

Well done.

Bryce

Jim Matthews
10-17-2013, 7:27 AM
Kind of looks like Walter White's workshop, right?

Funny, there are a lot of bright blue barrels in the background...
I'm feeling some uncertainty about your handle...

Prashun Patel
10-17-2013, 8:21 AM
Jim, If it's true that you feel you don't know me, then perhaps you would do well to TREAD LIGHTLY.

Mark Valsi
10-17-2013, 9:00 AM
Nice wood, nice craftsmanship, Great job !!

Jim Becker
10-17-2013, 6:39 PM
Wow....I really like that, Prashun! Great job on that seat!

I guess I probably might "prefer" the stretcher to also be walnut for this piece, but what's important is that you are the artist and what you did pleases you. Some folks might warm more to the figured maple if the short stretchers were also of that material simply because it might tie the contrast together better in their eyes.

But I can tell you one thing...I wouldn't mind sitting on that for sure!

Jerry Olexa
10-29-2013, 3:19 PM
VERY NICE Work!!!!

rogers kevin
11-18-2013, 8:08 AM
Well that looks quite great ,Walnut Woods are much stronger so it could take up heavyweight's easily .

Bobby O'Neal
11-18-2013, 2:51 PM
That looks awesome, as always. I'm becoming a big fan of your work. Very consistent and always beautiful. Great job!

glenn bradley
11-18-2013, 3:39 PM
I'm glad someone posted to this thread again. It caught my eye and I got to come back for another look at that beautiful little bench. Really great work Prashun.

Harry Hagan
11-19-2013, 10:35 AM
I'm glad someone posted to this thread again.

Me too!

Somehow I missed your initial post.

Prashun, you sure put that slab of walnut to good use.

Gus Dundon
11-19-2013, 4:30 PM
That is such a fine build. The design and execution are absolutely stunning. Impressive.

Matt Kestenbaum
11-21-2013, 9:45 PM
Prashun, have you ever been out to a Central Jersey Woodworkers Assoc. meeting?

I can't believe you had to make the Breaking Bad reference all on your own…after considering the weight of the arm/leg members that was my next thought (he works for Madrigal!!). Actually found myself looking for the yellow bee on those drums.

Great bench. I like the maple stretcher. I think maple and walnut blend beautifully over time too.

Prashun Patel
11-22-2013, 7:14 AM
Thanks for the great comments. I really appreciate the positive (and constructively negative) feedback. Matt, i have not yet been to a cjwa meeting. I keep meaning to.

There are no bees on our drums. We have a different coding system for methylamine and dead bodies in acid.

Mike Null
11-22-2013, 7:47 AM
Prashan

Just saw your bench for the first time. It's beautiful! Count me among those who would have preferred a walnut stretcher.

What a gorgeous piece of walnut.