PDA

View Full Version : Guhdo Gmaxx saw blades

Bill Huber
10-15-2013, 3:28 PM
I had a chance to get a Gmaxx table saw blade at 1/2 price and I took it. I did not know anything about them and at $32 it was a no brainer if it was anything at all.

What I got was the Guhdo, GMaxx, Glue Line General Purpose 50 tooth blade.

I have been using an like the Freud, Premier/Fusion 40 tooth blade.

I put it on the saw to give it a try, the cut was really easy, it was kind of like cutting hot butter as they say, very sharp and cut very easy. The cut was smooth but not quit as smooth as the Freud. The blade does make more noise then the Freud and that is because of the way it is made. There are 10 sets of teeth and a large open area between each set.

The blade is an ATB plus a raker, that is there is one tooth pointing to the left, the next to the right and then a flat raker blade, this give a little less of a bat wing then the Freud.

The biggest thing I noticed was its ripping, it rips really well for a combo blade, it is much better at ripping then the Freud blade, that is the one thing I have not like about the Freud.

On the crosscut it is very good, there is a very small about of fuzz on the out cut but not much, less then the Freud, that could be because it is a 50 tooth and the Freud is a 40 tooth.

How long it will hold up, that I am not sure of, time will tell but for now it is staying on the saw.

Does anyone have and or use these blades and what do you think of them?

Erik Loza
10-15-2013, 4:10 PM
Hi Bill,

Guhdo is the pretty well-known mfr. over in Europe (they are German) and caters more to the industry than to home ww'ers. I am not familiar with the line you mentioned but the rest of their tooling has a very solid reputation in the industry. Sounds like a good find, there. Thanks for sharing.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Bill Huber
10-15-2013, 4:52 PM
Hi Bill,

Guhdo is the pretty well-known mfr. over in Europe (they are German) and caters more to the industry than to home ww'ers. I am not familiar with the line you mentioned but the rest of their tooling has a very solid reputation in the industry. Sounds like a good find, there. Thanks for sharing.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

I was on their web site and it looks like they also have router bits.
It looks like they are working to get into the home woodworking field with their blades not sure about the bits.

John Schweikert
10-15-2013, 5:00 PM
I've never used any blades from Guhdo, but I have heard of them.

(So out of curiosity, would you buy the blade again if it were full price? I ask because I find myself doing the same thing, trying a different product or brand because of a steep discount from normal pricing. I've always wondered if it skews my own view of that product, so has anyone else pondered the same. Similar to the idea of Groupon, if you get something for half off new, then what motivates someone to buy the same thing again at full price.)

Bill Huber
10-15-2013, 5:22 PM
I've never used any blades from Guhdo, but I have heard of them.

(So out of curiosity, would you buy the blade again if it were full price? I ask because I find myself doing the same thing, trying a different product or brand because of a steep discount from normal pricing. I've always wondered if it skews my own view of that product, so has anyone else pondered the same. Similar to the idea of Groupon, if you get something for half off new, then what motivates someone to buy the same thing again at full price.)

At this point I would say yes, the blade has been doing very well and I like the cut and the fact that it does ripping is a big plus for me.

The cost is right, $66 on Amazon and the Freud is $72.

Bill Huber
12-11-2014, 7:03 PM
Well I have been using it for over a year now and it is the go to blade for me.

I cut some dados the other day and when I went to put the Gmaxx back on I decided to put the Premier/Fusion back on just to see if the Gmaxx was as good as I thought it was. The Premier/Fusion was cleaned and sharp, cut some crosscuts on 3/4" ash really nice.

I had to cross cut some 8/4 ash, started to do the cut and about half way across the 8" board the Premier/Fusion really stated to bog down. I stop the cut and put the Gmaxx on and it finished the cut with no problem. I then had to rip the board and the Gmaxx just went right though it. The Premier/Fusion would not even started to rip the 8/4".

So I guess what I am saying is the Gmaxx is one really nice blade, so if you are looking to get a new general purpose blade you may want to give it a try,

Phil Thien
12-11-2014, 8:48 PM
Some blades feed much easier than others. It isn't the coating or anything like that, there is something about the geometry/kerf/etc. that makes them feed more easily.

Freud has always been a hard push for me, bogging down my BT3000 saw (which I admit is underpowered compared to the cabinet saws around here).

I don't have any Guhdo blades but I do have some yellow DeWalt blades from when they were made in Great Britain (before production was sent to Asia) and they also cut thick material with extreme ease.

J.R. Rutter
12-11-2014, 9:56 PM
Thanks for the follow-up, Bill!

Bill Huber
12-12-2014, 9:53 AM
Some blades feed much easier than others. It isn't the coating or anything like that, there is something about the geometry/kerf/etc. that makes them feed more easily.

Freud has always been a hard push for me, bogging down my BT3000 saw (which I admit is underpowered compared to the cabinet saws around here).

I don't have any Guhdo blades but I do have some yellow DeWalt blades from when they were made in Great Britain (before production was sent to Asia) and they also cut thick material with extreme ease.

The Gmaxx has really deep gullets were the Freud does not and I think that is one of the reasons it rips so well. It is like they took a good high tooth count blade and then put really deep gullets in it. That is also the reason it makes a lot of noise with a zci in the saw.

Jerome Stanek
12-12-2014, 10:43 AM
We use them at work on our beam saw and also their router bits on our Bessie CNCs

Phil Thien
12-12-2014, 1:19 PM
The Gmaxx has really deep gullets were the Freud does not and I think that is one of the reasons it rips so well. It is like they took a good high tooth count blade and then put really deep gullets in it. That is also the reason it makes a lot of noise with a zci in the saw.

Yeah but I've used Freud rippers with deep gullets and they still don't cut as quickly as my general-purpose Dewalt blades.

One of the things I have noticed about the Dewalt blade is that, perhaps like your Gmaxx blade, the cut isn't quite as smooth as the Freud. It is close, but you do see some more swirl marks. So I wonder if the blade, while cutting, creates a slightly wider kerf than you'd expect, which results in less friction on the sides of the blade. I'm talking tenths (.0001") differences, the cut quality is still very acceptable.

Prashun Patel
12-12-2014, 1:37 PM
Timely! Thanks, Bill. I appreciate your product reviews.