PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know what this is?

Paul Janders
10-15-2013, 3:10 PM
I came across this object while digging a hole for a new tree. I was about 20-inches below ground when the shovel made contact. Does it look familiar to anyone? It is so encrusted with rust and dirt that any lettering that may be on it is obscured. I thought it had concrete spilled on it but it turned out to be caked-on dirt that has calcified on the surfaces and between the chain links.

I'm thinking it's a piece of construction debris left over from the building of my house in 1968 but I've never seen anything like this from a construction site. I found it about thirty feet from the foundation of my house. I'm going to try and wire brush the flat pieces and see if I can find any printing on it. I think the metal is so heavily pitted with rust that it may not be possible to reveal any clues as to what this might be.

Any guesses?

Rick Potter
10-15-2013, 3:22 PM
Can I guess twice?

1. Part of a tire chain (from the shape of the links).

2. Part of a hold down to keep equipment on a trailer.

Nice clear pics.

Rick Potter

Larry Browning
10-15-2013, 3:27 PM
I vote part of a tire chain assembly. Does it snow a lot where you live?

Steve Meliza
10-15-2013, 4:12 PM
It looks to me like the ends are meant to connect together after wrapping around a pipe.

Paul Janders
10-15-2013, 4:18 PM
I should have mentioned where I live which is southern Michigan. Yes, we do get cold winters and snow.

Paul Janders
10-15-2013, 4:22 PM
Steve,
This occurred to me as well. The problem is when you put the two ends of the piece together it leaves very little room for a pipe or anything else. I thought it might be used as some sort of lifting device.

Steve Meliza
10-15-2013, 4:30 PM
You could link 2 or more of these together, maybe as a sling under something for lifting as you suggest.

Paul Janders
10-15-2013, 4:55 PM
Rick and Larry-
I think tire chains are illegal in Michigan. I've never seen anyone using them here and I've never seen any for sale at local auto parts suppliers.

The equipment hold down seems more likely. I hadn't thought of that.

Rick — Thanks for the photo complement

Larry Browning
10-15-2013, 5:00 PM
Man, your curiosity is much greater than mine. If I had run across that while digging a hole, I would have cussed at it for causing me grief just before a tossing it in the trash bin.

Dave Richards
10-15-2013, 5:14 PM
Paul, tire chains might be illegal now but what about 50 or 75 years ago when the thing might have been buried? Maybe they weren't used on the road but on a tractor.

And look what I found with a quick Google Image Search: Vintage Tire Chains (http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Vintage-Firestone-Strap-On-Tire-Chains-Mudhooks-Snow-Chain-Antique-W-Bag-/390621287028) and more (http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLDER-VINTAGE-SETS-OF-SNOW-CHAINS-AUTO-OR-TRACTOR-/400586649153).

Paul Janders
10-15-2013, 5:34 PM
Dave -
That looks like an nearly identical match. I have never seen tire chains before. My house was built 45 years ago so they may have been legal in Michigan then. I don't know. Since I didn't know what tire chains looked like it never entered my mind that these might be tire chains.

I'll consider the matter closed. If I find out anything new I'll post back.

Thanks to all!

Lee Schierer
10-15-2013, 5:49 PM
Paul, tire chains might be illegal now but what about 50 or 75 years ago when the thing might have been buried? Maybe they weren't used on the road but on a tractor.

And look what I found with a quick Google Image Search: Vintage Tire Chains (http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Vintage-Firestone-Strap-On-Tire-Chains-Mudhooks-Snow-Chain-Antique-W-Bag-/390621287028) and more (http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLDER-VINTAGE-SETS-OF-SNOW-CHAINS-AUTO-OR-TRACTOR-/400586649153).

I concur that it is an old tire chain. My grandfather used to have a set in his garage.

Rick Potter
10-15-2013, 7:36 PM
Wait.....

Did I win something?

Rick P

Frederick Skelly
10-15-2013, 8:56 PM
Paul, I think you should send Rick the tire chain as his prize! ; )

Gordon Eyre
10-15-2013, 9:58 PM
I lived in Michigan 55 years ago and tire chains were legal. In fact, I can't think of anyplace where they weren't.

Myk Rian
10-15-2013, 10:13 PM
[FONT=Lucida Grande][I think tire chains are illegal in Michigan. I've never seen anyone using them here and I've never seen any for sale at local auto parts suppliers

Well yeah, they are, now. But I would suspect those were made before the chains were outlawed.

Why the fancy fonts? Makes it awful hard quoting your posts.

Steve Rozmiarek
10-15-2013, 11:39 PM
+12 or so, its part of a tire chain, but why are tire chains illegal there now?

If the area was rural, they are used on farms often.

David Weaver
10-16-2013, 8:46 AM
+12 or so, its part of a tire chain, but why are tire chains illegal there now?

If the area was rural, they are used on farms often.

They're only illegal on the roads. They used to be common here, too, even when I was a kid a couple of decades ago. I probably couldn't find anyone local with them now, though, and wouldn't know where to get a set locally.

Jim Underwood
10-16-2013, 11:15 AM
They're illegal because they apparently tear up the pavement, as do studded radial tires.

Rick Potter
10-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Legal in California. Required if you go up the local mountains to the snow in the winter.

Rick P

Ken Fitzgerald
10-16-2013, 11:32 AM
Chains and studded tires are hard on asphalt roads.

Here chains and studded tires are seasonally legal. They can be installed after a certain date in the early winter and have to removed before a certain date in the early spring.

It gets a little interesting when you consider that one can drive across a bridge from Lewiston, ID to Clarkston, WA. The dates in WA and ID aren't always the same.

More than once, just putting the chains on without even installing the tensioners gave me enough traction to pull someone out of a snow bank when they had slid off the road. Chains and studded tires definitely have their place locally!

There was a time when it was a requirement to cross certain mountain passes in Oregon in the winter. You were required to have traction devices (chains or studded snow tires). Failure to carry them could result in a fine.

BOB OLINGER
10-16-2013, 3:47 PM
I'm very sure this is one of a set of the style of tire chains used when you can "wrap" 2 or 3 around each tire/rim and fasten given you had a spoke or other opening on the inside of the rim. I used to have a set of these but I believe they fastened with a heavy woven web type material and some sort of buckle. I had an Opel GT; it would get stuck pretty easily in the snow. I'd get out and wrap/fasten a couple on each rear tire. Occasionally one would come off when spinning the wheels to get unstuck, but they were pretty effective on this car.

David G Baker
10-17-2013, 5:39 PM
I have tire chains on my John Deere. It isn't legal to drive on the highway in Michigan now but with chains it was one of the only ways to get around in Michigan in the past if you lived in rural areas or had to drive on icy roads.

Mel Fulks
10-17-2013, 6:08 PM
I hadn't thought of it before ,but I guess the through the wheel type chains are the reason cars had spoked wheels . Old timers say that with high ground clearances and chains ,snow was less of a problem ,(unless you live in Buffalo or the like) ,than it is now.

John McClanahan
10-17-2013, 6:09 PM
I'm very sure this is one of a set of the style of tire chains used when you can "wrap" 2 or 3 around each tire/rim and fasten given you had a spoke or other opening on the inside of the rim. I used to have a set of these but I believe they fastened with a heavy woven web type material and some sort of buckle. I had an Opel GT; it would get stuck pretty easily in the snow. I'd get out and wrap/fasten a couple on each rear tire. Occasionally one would come off when spinning the wheels to get unstuck, but they were pretty effective on this car.

That's what it is. The cotton web strap is long gone.

John

Roger Newby
10-17-2013, 7:55 PM
Looks like the jaw bone of a cast iron hobby horse.

Bill Cunningham
10-17-2013, 9:10 PM
Looks like the jaw bone of a cast iron hobby horse.

Close!! I thought it was a configuration of a horse chain bit
https://s3.amazonaws.com/use_cbeq_image_large/250002.jpg