PDA

View Full Version : Optical Center Punch, do you have and use one ???

Bill Huber
10-15-2013, 10:37 AM
I know we are working in wood but I still have a problem of getting a hole punched just where I want it. I measure it and mark it and then with make a punch and I will get the punch off just a little and in wood it is really hard to redo it.

So I have been looking at an Optical Center Punch, Lee Valley has one for $40 and they go up from there. I think from looking at the one at LV it would serve me well.

I do know they are really designed for metal work but I see no reason they would not work on wood. I have a set of transfer punches that again are made for metal work that I use on wood all the time and could not be without them.

So do you have one and if so do you use it and does it work?

Dan Hintz
10-15-2013, 11:20 AM
Tough wood grain (particularly for species with both soft and hard grain) will often make the punch slide to one side or another... there's no such beast in metal, so the punch makes a dimple where you want it. As far as I know, centering drills are still the best way to center a hole in wood.

James Baker SD
10-15-2013, 11:55 AM
I have the LV optical punch and I love it. Use it all the time. Does a pretty good job of staying put as you switch from crosshair to punch. Just don't hit it too hard, works better with a light tap.

pat warner
10-15-2013, 1:29 PM
I think you'll find that there is merit to the tool.
Notwithstanding, it is more accurate, (given good material prep, drill press health, and a sharp brad point), to use the setup to locate a hole. Be it plastic, metal, or wood, I use scribe lines (rarely punch marks) only as a QC measure.
With little to no runout, a straight fence and accurate stops and hold downs you can drill to centers near to or <.004".
Nuts on wood? So be it, but it with a punch or scribe your accuracy will not exceed .010".
Add bad eyes, dim light, parallax and other adversities and drilling on center is a "guess & x-golly" proposition.

Bruce Page
10-15-2013, 2:15 PM
Bill, I have a Fowler with 60° punch. It works great on metal and wood. The LV should work great for you.

Bill Huber
10-15-2013, 2:24 PM
Thanks to all of your replies, I think I am going to order the one from LV, it can't hurt anything.

Again Thanks.....

HANK METZ
10-15-2013, 4:33 PM
I have the LV optical punch and I love it. Use it all the time. Does a pretty good job of staying put as you switch from crosshair to punch. Just don't hit it too hard, works better with a light tap.

Ditto, love mine too!

Sid Matheny
10-15-2013, 4:47 PM
I have been in machine shops most of my life and had never seen one of these. Learned something new today.

Sid

Tim Janssen
10-15-2013, 9:20 PM
Thanks to all of your replies, I think I am going to order the one from LV, it can't hurt anything.

Again Thanks.....

You will like it!

Tim

Sam Puhalovich
10-16-2013, 5:40 AM
Since we are working with wood ... the grain ALWAYS influences the punch mark.
If I need a specific edge distance ... I'll set-up that distance using a known diameter.
Example: for a 3/8 edge distance ... I'll use a 3/4 Forstner bit ... clamp a straight edge tangent to it ... good-to-go.
No worries about grain influence.

HANK METZ
10-16-2013, 7:37 AM
Since we are working with wood ... the grain ALWAYS influences the punch mark.
No worries about grain influence.

Not so, if you look at the system of an optical punch:

A weighty base, augmented with an "O" ring perimeter provides plenty of shift resistance, the sight tube acts more like a drill bushing keeping the punch on target. Once established, a larger punch may/ can be used to further enlarge the mark. Definitely a must- have for those in the 50 and up club.

Paul Stoops
10-16-2013, 11:58 AM
This is a great tool set. Many years ago we used these devices in the tooling shop where I worked to align drill plates for drilling holes in metal tooling. We called them "bombsights" The configuration was a little different, but the principle was the same. I have found that using the optical tool with a 5/16" Lee Valley threaded tool bushing makes a great way to accurately locate holes in wood projects. As I recall, I think there is a slight optical magnification provided by the "bombsight", which helps my old eyes. A very useful tool set, which I highly recommend.

Paul

Bill Huber
10-22-2013, 5:56 PM
Follow up on the Optical Center Punch, I love the thing. It came in today and I have a little project that I am working on and used it....

It work just like it should and the punches are dead on, I used a brad point bit and the holes came out just where I needed them to be. These holes were 1/16" holes in 1/4" plywood and hard maple and all the holes came out perfect.

John McClanahan
10-22-2013, 7:29 PM
Thanks for the followup, Bill. I just may get one.

John

Bill Huber
10-22-2013, 8:28 PM
Thanks for the followup, Bill. I just may get one.

John

If you like drilling holes where you want them, then this is a must have.