PDA

View Full Version : Rulong sliding table shaper

mreza Salav
10-15-2013, 10:28 AM
I am trying to get some info on Rulong shapers. There is a used one near me (coming from a commercial shop that is closing) with
a sliding table, 7.5HP (3-phase) that comes with a 4-wheel 1HP feeder. Before going to take a look, are these chinese generic brands?
What would be a fair price for a setup like this? I have a 3HP generic that I found too limiting (for the size of cutter I can use) and hence never use.

Mark Wooden
10-15-2013, 5:10 PM
I did a quick search and saw that ,yes it is a "generic" machine that is probably private labeled for others. The company itself is in Taiwan, however, and there are a lot of machinery manufacturers there that have been doing it for a long time now. They are producing better machines than their neighbor IMO. I have a 5 year old Tiawan made shaper that is the same machine that was made 25 years ago and marketed by a well known company here. I have no complaints.

The one machine I saw that was 3phase with a sliding table was going for $5500 AU new so it's a little cheaper in Canada. Hard to say about the power feeder, they're about $1000 new.
If the machine is used, maintained and not beat up, up to 60% of new is a fair starting point.

Stephen Cherry
10-15-2013, 5:34 PM
I'm not sure about that machine, but bidspotter has some shapers coming up for auction.

http://d15ug98ku8pvbb.cloudfront.net/auctions/21849/photos/Art357.jpg

Jeff Duncan
10-16-2013, 10:56 AM
I'm not familiar with that name either. I would suggest going to take a good look at it and making your own decision. I have a generic 3 hp tilting shaper that's built like a tank, and though rough around the edges has produced a fair amount of work. Many commercial shops will buy these types of machines as they're often simple robust machines that they can do a lot of basic work on for much less than a more refined SCM or equivalent machine.

As for price....there's no such thing as a fair price for an auction item IMHO. You go and try to get what you need for as cheap as possible. Sometimes you can get a good deal, sometimes others bid things up way too high. I'd have to see the machine first hand to come up with what I would consider a decent price, but in overly general terms if you can get an industrial shaper w/ sliding table in plug and play condition w/ a feeder for less than $2k.....I think you did alright;)

good luck,
JeffD

mreza Salav
10-16-2013, 3:21 PM
Thanks for all the comments.