PDA

View Full Version : My Grandfather's Uniform

Dan Mages
10-14-2013, 9:54 PM
Greetings.

I know there are many retired military, history buffs, and some who are too smart for their own good around here. I am trying to learn more about the various patches and metals on my grandfather's WWII uniform. He was in the Army Air Corps as a control tower operator at a remote air strip near Nome (I think), Alaska. Does anyone recognize the patches and metals?

The photos are at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4w2si32naf6iycz/AxhhFbZxen

Thanks for the help!!

Dan Mages

Jeff Erbele
10-15-2013, 6:28 AM
Hi Dan,

I am in the US Army Retired Reserve. I served 26 years in the US Army Corps of Engineers. I enlisted as a welder and retired as a Major, Combat Engineer.

We'll figure out your grandfathers' uniform. If someone else cannot fill in the blanks, I'll do some research. So far I can tell you:

Photo 1 Head Gear: Dress Cap worn with the Class A Uniform, the uniform in the photos.
Commonly referred to as the “Saucer Cap”.
The visor is void of decoration, indicating some rank below a Field Grade Officer (Major, Lieutenant Colonel or Colonel).
The device on the front of the cap, as well as the buttons on the chin strap (the leather band above the visor) is the U.S. Army Branch Insignia. The other branches of the armed forces each have their own distinctive branch insignia.
The U.S. Army Branch Insignia has a brass shield or disc behind it, designating the soldier was in the enlisted ranks.
Commissioned Officers headgear lacks the brass shield and the insignia, in the case of the Army, an eagle, is much larger, for example, a random photo I found online:
Class A Cap - US Army (branch) Officer's Insignia (http://mjm.luckygunner.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Dad-Donald-Jack-Mollenhour.jpg)

Photo 2 The Overseas Cap, alternate headgear worn with the Class A Uniform.
Even though it is call the Overseas Cap, it could be worn state side as well as the Saucer Cap could be worn overseas.

Both caps are interchangeable, although the Saucer Cap is considered more formal.
The Over Seas Cap typically is worn when traveling as it is much easy to deal with in general, especially when not worn, for example indoors, or on a plane, or during WW-II more likely a train. One can roll it, sit on it, stick it your belt or pocket and not damage it beyond use.
Typically the unit commander may designate the uniform of the day, or the soldiers’ orders/travel orders may specify the uniform.

Photo 3 Class A Uniform Trousers; the pants

Photo 4 Class A Uniform Jacket; also called the blouse.

Photo 5 Five Medals or Ribbons, one with a device
They could be Medals or Ribbons. Medals have matching ribbons such as these, but ribbons do not have medals.
Typically Medals are awarded for something related to the character of service, such as distinguished service, or above and beyond the call of duty. Medals are more difficult to come by.
Ribbons on the other hand, are more likely to be awarded in the normal course of duty for some achievement.
It is going to take some effort to identify exactly what these five are, as there are a lot of them, a wall chart full. Stand by; we’ll figure it out. If you have his service records, they would say which ones these are. If you are really, really lucky, there may be a citation, written verbiage that was recited at the time they were presented, describing what he did or the circumstances of how he earned them.

They are not metals, the group of inorganic elements found on the Periodic Table.

Photo 6 Emblem above the left Breast Pocket – Not Sure; …yet

Photo 7 Left Shoulder
Upper Patch: Commonly referred to as “The Unit Patch” on Army uniforms.
The major command he was assigned to / served under: U.S. Army Air Corps
The present unit assigned to is worn on the left shoulder.
If one served in a previous unit, in combat, it is also worn, on the opposite or right shoulder.

Lower Patch: Non-Commissioned Officer Chevron (His Rank): Sergeant

Photo 8 Left Shoulder – Upper Patch – Some unit he served in previously.
Which one is work in progress.

Photo 9 Left Sleeve – Cuff – Work in Progress

Gordon Eyre
10-15-2013, 4:02 PM
The red and white ribbon is a Good Conduct Medal and the ones to its left are generally theater ribbons; i.e., where he served. The two ribbons above the GCM are more than likely commendation medals and the one with a star on it indicates that he received it twice. I will try and find out what branch awarded these medals.

I am a ten year veteran and served as an enlisted man, a warrant officer and lastly as a commissioned officer.

Gordon Eyre
10-15-2013, 4:37 PM
The first ribbon, top row, is the American Campaigh ribbon/medal. I do not know the circumstances under which that ribbon would be awarded. I was unable to determine the second ribbon top row or the two to the left of the GCM. Generally your ribbons would reflect importance based on their position, with the most important from top row down. The GCM usually splits the the medals from the theater ribbons with the GCM being a medal. As an example a Silver Star or Bronze Star medal would always be worn above the GCM.

Gordon Eyre
10-15-2013, 5:15 PM
The middle ribbon bottom row is the American Defense service ribbon.

One other thing, medals are worn on dress uniforms and each medal has its corresponding ribbon. Ribbons are worn on class A uniforms and shirts if it is too warm for a jacket. Ribbons are not worn on fatigues or BDU's.

Lee Schierer
10-15-2013, 6:06 PM
top row left - American Defense Medal

Top Row right - WW II Victory medal it is unclear why he would have a Star, indicating a second award/

bottom middle - American Campaign ribbon

You can look the ribbons up at this site. Air Force Ribbons (http://www.usamilitarymedals.com/force-force-ribbons-awards-c-2071_22.html?page=0) If you click on each ribbon, it tells what it was awarded for and when.

bottom row right- Asiatic - Pacific campaign ribbon

Jeff Erbele
10-16-2013, 4:14 AM
It was very late when I posted my first post. I see I have some errors, especially regarding the left & right shoulder patches. It is late again so I will edit them later.
I now know what the "Bear Patch" is. It designates he served in "The America's" (world geographical region or the military theatre), in the Department of Alaska, in 1943.

Sources:
From Here:
http://www.angelfire.com/md2/patches/branchI.html

Scroll down and click on
Departments, Districts and Commands, etc.

Which redirects here:
http://www.angelfire.com/md2/patches/branch1.html

Scroll & Click on
Geographical Defined Elements: Americas

Scroll to < Departments >
And there you have it, your Grand Fathers’ left shoulder patch.

Dan Mages
10-17-2013, 9:34 PM
I appreciate the help and information! This helps answer a few of our questions. His enlistment paperwork shows that he was drafted into the Philippines department. I sometimes wonder if he did not volunteer for pilot duty that he would have been part of the Battan Death March.

Jeff Erbele
10-19-2013, 5:39 AM
I appreciate the help and information! This helps answer a few of our questions. His enlistment paperwork shows that he was drafted into the Philippines department. I sometimes wonder if he did not volunteer for pilot duty that he would have been part of the Battan Death March.

Hi Dan,
I was just checking in to see what remains unsolved. Two items in particular, the patch above the right breast pocket and the patch on the cuff, to the best of my knowledge, do not appear on more recent uniforms. My best hunch says they may be qualification or technical specialty patches of some type. It probably will bug me until I or someone else finds the answer as to what they are. I'll see if I can solve those.

From what you wrote and what I see on the uniform, his uniform may be lacking combat and service stripes on the sleeves, depending on how long he served, where and when. as well as what the War Department or Congress declared as a Combat Zone at the time.

Its interesting that you mentioned the Bataan Death March. My Father-in-law was one of the 522 rescued at Camp O'Donnell. He was one of 464 American Soldiers that survived, of the approximately 14,500 Americans in the Death March. He was a Japanese P.O.W. for almost three of his four years of service. He could have avoided the whole ordeal. He knew the locals well enough and they would have hidden him out in the highlands, but it would have meant disgrace and desertion, punishable by death in a military Courts Martial. Unfortunately I never got to meet him as he passed away before I met his daughter, my wife.

Jeff Erbele
10-19-2013, 6:10 AM
Regarding the diamond shaped patch above the right breast pocket (photos 4, 5, 6 and 10), it designates an Honorable Discharge, the Honorable Discharge Emblem lozenge

Sources
http://www.angelfire.com/md2/patches/keys/keylozenge.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorable_Service_Lapel_Button

Jeff Erbele
10-19-2013, 7:12 AM
The patch on the sleeve near the cuff is either a WWII Army Distinguished Unit Citation patch, or US Army Meritorious Unit Commendation patch, or US Army WWII MUC Meritorious Unit Citation patch. I have not learned what MUC means. I am finding the same patch, or very similar patch with various names. So far I don't know if there were one, two or three of these names with various patches, or if the sources such as various websites, or sellers on eBay are using the proper name.

I think I am on to something, but cannot say with any certainty, which or any of these are correct. The reason I am posting clues instead of facts is if anybody else cares to pursue a solution, these things are a good starting point. For now, again I have to park my search.

If any of them are correct, your grandfathers' unit collectively did something especially noteworthy.

Dan Mages
10-21-2013, 10:37 AM
The round patch on his shoulder with the star and gold wings and the blue piping on his overseas hat indicate that he was in the Air Corps. I think that covers all of them?

Thanks for the help!!

Dan

Rick Potter
10-21-2013, 12:06 PM
Outstanding work Jeff. Above and beyond.

Rick Potter