PDA

View Full Version : help with jointer and thickness planer blades

john jean
10-14-2013, 9:04 PM
i have a limited budjet an old fart budjet. what is the best bang for the buck for jointer planer and thickness planer blades, thanx again ladies and gents

Mel Fulks
10-14-2013, 9:38 PM
Welcome . Lots of old threads here on that! I think M2 and T1 grades leave best finish . M2 usually a little cheaper. Don't buy anything simply called "high speed". If you insist on buying by designated grade then it's easy to shop price.

john jean
10-14-2013, 9:47 PM
ok thnx mel i was wondering about the grades m1 m2 and cobalt

John TenEyck
10-15-2013, 10:38 AM
You might consider buying from these guys: http://holbren.com/jointer_planer-knives/. Very good quality and service at a fair price. Jointer/planer knives last a long, long time as long as you aren't running reclaimed wood through your machines, so the price of knives is really very low.

John

Doug Ladendorf
10-15-2013, 10:42 AM
+1 on Holbren. I picked up some 15" planer blades from them at the recommendation of the forum and they have been great. Inexpensive for the quality they offer.
Doug

Myk Rian
10-15-2013, 12:19 PM
I get Freud knives from Amazon.

Mike Wilkins
10-16-2013, 9:51 AM
Have you considered DispozAblade? Depending on what size jointer/planer you have, the up front costs is higher than a set of replacement blades. But you get double-sided blades, the ability to shift a blade should you contact a nail in a board, less hassle setting the height after a blade change. Just set it up once you get the system installed and don't touch it again. Just a thought.