PDA

View Full Version : A scam - or maybe not?

Michael Hunter
10-14-2013, 7:08 PM
I've had a number of (unsolicited) emails over the last couple weeks from BARK DOT COM, offering to help me get in touch with potential customers who want something engraved.
Normally a single item of medium value (the latest one being a leather belt) and the promise that as I have been "specifically invited" there is no charge to me for getting in touch with the customer.

I tried to look up BARK, but their website says they are not up and running in the UK yet and not giving much further info.

Has anyone here heard of or dealt with these people?
It smells of "scam", but could possibly be legitimate.

Dan Hintz
10-14-2013, 7:30 PM
I wouldn't call it a "scam", but I wouldn't expect to see any real business form it, either. Laser work is just not something people would go to such a site for.

Gary Hair
10-14-2013, 7:51 PM
I've had a number of (unsolicited) emails

It smells of "scam", but could possibly be legitimate.

I haven't seen an unsolicited email that wasn't some sort of scam/spam. I do get them direct from customers but they are pretty obvious. I NEVER reply to any email that's unsolicited and I NEVER click a link in an email either. My antivirus doesn't really have much to do...

Chad Fitzgerald
10-15-2013, 9:33 AM
I havent got emails but have had messages on my phone saying the same thing. I actually called back ONCE. they said they HAD customers wanting to hire me to do work for them. What it really is, I pay them to put my name out there somewhere and hope i get work from it.
I call it a SCAM, their initial contact to me was a LIE, therefor SCAM. in my opinion. I called them a liar and hung up.
sounds like your email is the same thing.
chad

Michael Hunter
10-15-2013, 2:39 PM
Thanks Chad

Pretty much what I expected.

Robert Silvers
10-15-2013, 3:28 PM
Whenever someone calls to ask for my "updated business information for their internet directory" all they are doing is building a mailing list that they can sell for their benefit, not mine. Then my name will be sold to someone who does not hire me, but calls to ask "Who is the person at your office responsible for the bottled water" or "Are you the person who handles the laser printer toner orders?"

I would not participate for free. Sending them money to pay to be on their junk mail list is just making them laugh.

Robert Silvers
10-15-2013, 3:30 PM
I NEVER reply to any email that's unsolicited and I NEVER click a link in an email either.

I respond to unsolicited emails if they are obviously written just for me. But if they are generic or even fake-personalized, then it is junk.

Mike Troncalli
10-16-2013, 9:10 AM
In a week I average 50 - 100 spam emails, 5 - 20 telemarketer calls. Like Robert I get the "update your business info" calls. Told one last year my name was Baba Ganoush. (Eggplant dish). I am now getting phone calls, credit card offers, etc. for Baba.. I laugh my off every time I get one of those calls or offers. I am waiting for the next update request.

Steve McKee
10-16-2013, 10:10 AM
Had to think on that one a minute, good one.

Mike Troncalli
10-16-2013, 1:51 PM
@ Steve. Thank you..
@ Keith Outten... I understand editing my post for the word A double S.. But the words Richard and Cranium while in the context of the post did refer to a derogatory term were in themselves not bad words AND they were not used as a direct assault. Sorry but I am going to cry foul on this one... If I were to get mad at something and shout out "Ship High In Transit" would I then be in trouble for saying the full term for what is now an acronym.... Or simply giving instructions to my transport company on how I think they should place my overseas cargo???:eek:

Gary Hair
10-16-2013, 2:02 PM
@ Steve. Thank you..
@ Keith Outten... I understand editing my post for the word A double S.. But the words Richard and Cranium while in the context of the post did refer to a derogatory term were in themselves not bad words AND they were not used as a direct assault. Sorry but I am going to cry foul on this one... If I were to get mad at something and shout out "Ship High In Transit" would I then be in trouble for saying the full term for what is now an acronym.... Or simply giving instructions to my transport company on how I think they should place my overseas cargo???:eek:

The *intent* behind the rules of the forum are to keep this place as family friendly as possible and the powers that be have defined "family friendly". Whether or not you agree with it doesn't really matter as you agreed to abide by the rules when you signed up. If you can't understand the problem with your post then perhaps you should reread the TOS and get a better idea of the intent. That said, I used to use the term "H.E. double hockey sticks", but that was when I was 9 or 10 and thought it was cool to swear "in code".

Mike Troncalli
10-16-2013, 2:32 PM
Gary. I can't refute your post... If you will notice the last part of mine had the funny emoticon which was used to show not taking myself seriously. But I am still allowed as we all are to state our case. And thank you for being the moral compass. :rolleyes: See.. just showing "No harm. . . No foul" Also I won't post anymore responses as I don't want to start any bad blood with anyone here. This is a great forum for all of us to use. And I really do understand where you and Keith are coming from... But ya gotta admit.. Using the RC is funny... Especially to telemarketers who wont take no for an answer and keeps calling and calling and calling when you tell them to stop... A guy has to have a hobby you know...:)