PDA

View Full Version : Buffing compound issues

Kelvin Burton
10-14-2013, 5:09 PM
Has anyone else had a problem with their tripoli and white diamond compound bars getting so hard that they no longer transfer to the buffing wheels?

I don't know whether it's the summer heat in my shop or just the age of the bars (3+ years) but when I put them against the buffing wheels they just end up polishing the compound!

If anyone knows how to make these re-usable again and / or prevent this happening again if I end up having to replace them I'd like to hear. I keep them in the original plastic bags they came in so it doesn't seem like they would lose whatever moisture should keep these pliable.

Tom Wilson66
10-14-2013, 8:09 PM
Never had this happen to me, but am wondering if it is hard just on the surface of the bar? Try scraping some off the surface and if the inside is any better?

Harry Robinette
10-14-2013, 8:24 PM
Kelvin
I've had mine for 4 or 5 years no problem. Mine sometimes look's like there's nothing there but try buffing maple with the tripoli
and the white diamond on walnut and see what happens after a little buffing.
Just my $.02

Fred Belknap
10-14-2013, 9:11 PM
Try loading your buffing wheels at a greater rpm. Be sure to slow down to buff.

Kelvin Burton
10-15-2013, 11:58 PM
Unfortunately I've tried all the above suggestions without success :confused:

My bars are a little under 3 years old and hard as rocks. So little is added to the buffing wheels they are getting cleaner each time I use them. Guess I'll just have to buy some new ones even those these are less than 5% used :-(

Dennis Nagle
10-16-2013, 10:19 PM
They might be cheap stuff. I buy mine at an industrial supply house.

David Dobbs
10-17-2013, 12:29 AM
Do you have any wax or polishing compound in a tub?
Take a very small dab 1/2 tsp put in a baggie and the bar.
Forget about it for a few days.
You can even do it with a couple drops of water in the baggie. But it don't take very much.

Kelvin Burton
10-19-2013, 12:01 PM
David, I have some Johnson's Paste Wax, I'll give it a try. Thanks!

I did email Don Pencil who I bought the buffing kit from but haven't heard back. Guess he is busy filling Christmas orders! :)

Richard Coers
10-19-2013, 5:08 PM
Should be a wax binder. Try hitting the ends with a heat gun or propane torch. Just get it warm, not melting. See if that helps. What rpms are your wheels turning?

Kelvin Burton
10-20-2013, 1:17 PM
Richard, I buff on my lathe and spin the 8" wheels between 1000 -1200 rpm. I run the "ball" buffs faster because they are a smaller diameter.

I'll dig out my heat gun after I try David's suggestion (if it doesn't work) :D

Harry Robinette
10-20-2013, 6:54 PM
Kelvin
I load my buff's at 1750 rpm cause mine are on a motor like I said mine are 4 or 5 year's old and mine are Beall. Woodcraft sell's replacements
for all 3 bar's from Beall.