PDA

View Full Version : Need plane identification help

Edward Mitton
10-14-2013, 9:51 AM
Hi, All,
I picked this gem up at a yard sale this weekend as a freebie thrown in with a bunch of other stuff I bought.
I'm thinking plow plane. Adjustable fence secured by wedges. No discernable maker's mark. Probably user-made. Missing blade and wedge. It is in rough shape and looks too far-gone to turn into a user, but it's covered with 'history' and will look cool hanging on the shop wall. What can I say...the price was right!

Malcolm Schweizer
10-14-2013, 10:13 AM
I agree with your assessment- either a plow or rabbet plane (hard to tell from the pics) with the fence missing. Probably is user-made. Good that it is now being appreciated.

Zach Dillinger
10-14-2013, 10:22 AM
User made plow for sure. I would speculate that it was made by a German, perhaps a Dutchman. Interesting that it has no provisions for a depth stop.

Jim Koepke
10-14-2013, 12:47 PM
It might be user made, but there was one that looked very much like it in the antique mall in town.

jtk

Edward Mitton
10-14-2013, 1:11 PM
Here is the other stuff I scored at the same yard sale....

Top: Disston Superior Rip saw. Saw late bent in a couple of places. Blade still sharp. For $1 it's good for parts if I can't straighten the plate.
Left: The plow plane
Below saw: Star wheel dresser. Wheel unit slides along shaft. Must have been mounted somehow on a large grinder.
Center: Spring loaded Caliper with marked graduations on lower end and locking knob.
Right: Various rasps, files, and Phillips SD, plus a small brass protractor.

Zach Dillinger
10-14-2013, 1:32 PM
The fence isn't missing, it is the part into which the wedges go. That is what makes it a Continental European plane, the style of fence.

Edward Mitton
10-14-2013, 1:51 PM
Zach, thanks for the info. Another thing that adds ceedence to your assessment is that the yard sale host had this plane sitting alongside a 10" brace that had a 'Germany' imprint on it, making it likely that he had purchased both from the same source. The brace was interesting in that it had a fixed sweep handle and did not include a ratcheting feature. I almost bought it ($10), except that the chuck jaws were not in really great shape. If he still has it next Spring, I might still go ahead and pick it up, but I am really in the market for a good user instead.