PDA

View Full Version : Getting a 915# bandsaw into a basement shop - How I did it

Matt Day
10-13-2013, 9:33 PM
So as I mentioned in another thread, I bought a used Powermatic 20" bandsaw recently and was very excited about finally having a bigger bandsaw than my 14" Delta/Rockwell. The price was right, but the only problem was how big and heavy it is - 915 pounds and 6' tall. Obviously the weight was the biggest issue, so before bringing it home, the seller let me spend some time taking it apart to drop the weight. The weight of the items below is about 350 pounds, which brought the overall saw weight down to below 600, more "manageable".

To get it home I rented a flatbed trailer from Uhaul and a friend met me there. At 600 pounds now, it was still a big awkward beast so it wasn't easy to get the saw into the trailer with two reasonably fit/strong guys. My initial plan was to build a pallet on the spine of the saw and tip it backward on the trailer, but due to a screw up at Uhaul I had a ramp that was in the way of that plan. Usually a ramp would be helpful but a big heavy object on a hand truck up and incline is a recipe for disaster. So I strapped the saw on the hand truck and laid it down then used a come-along to pull it into the trailer. I left it on the hand truck and strapped it down since I only had a few miles on back roads to drive to get home.

Once home, my jubilation was quickly brought down when I realized the easy part was done; I still had to get it in the basement and down a flight of steps. And when my wonderful wife pointed out how tough it was to just get it into the garage, I began to doubt my purchase and regretted wasting the weekend bringing the saw home.

A standard handtruck would be pretty dangerous with such an awkward load, there is now way I'd want someone below it. I thought about covering the stairs with plywood or 2x material to make a ramp to slide it down, but I wasn't sure about getting it on it's back at the top of the stairs then pivoting it to slide down stairs. After quite a bit of thought and research, I found one of these at United Rentals for $30/day.

This battery powered stair climbing dolly (Powermate L-1) is rated at 600-700 pounds (depending on where you look on the website). By the way, they make these that will lift over 1500 pounds. So my plan was to strap the saw to this dolly and walk it down the stairs. I got the hand truck this past Friday afternoon and plan to return it tomorrow morning, which will still be considered a 1 day rental.

After getting the hand truck home, I wondered about how strong the stairs would be. I figured it was 2x12 stringers with 2x treads - boy was I wrong. Turns out it was all 1x. I've never been under the basement stairs before because this is the only access. I didn't think that a 1x stair tread was going to hold 700# (saw + hand truck), along with another 350 pounds of guys on the staircase at some point. So I quickly hand to add some strength to the stairs. A quick trip to HD for some 2x material, construction adhesive, and screws and I threw this together in half of a day.
Basically I added 2x4's to each existing stringer and put a cleat below the treads, then added a double 2x4 stongback where the center stringer would normally be and put a 2x8 cleat to support the center of the tread. This made a big difference on how the stairs felt just walking up and down them.

Next up was actually moving the saw. I played with the stair climbing dolly to get the feel of how it worked before I did anything. Then I put plywood down through the mudroom (slate tile) and kitchen (hardwood) so I didn't damage anything. Next we got to the top of the stairs with the saw on the hand truck. My biggest worry with a saw this big was how awkward the weight is - the balance point is small and moving off of it is easy and it can get away from you quickly. I took the controls and had my friend attach a rope to the top of the saw (around the upper wheel) so he could keep tension on the saw and keep it from tipping forward. This ended up working great! Actual travel time (sans a small hiccup at the bottom of the stair; saw was a bit too tall for the drop ceiling) down the stairs was about 5 minutes. From the time my buddy showed up and left it was about an hour. Here she is in her new home!
If and when we move from our current house, I am DEFINITELY renting one of these again. I strongly recommend one of these for your next move! And a shout out to my wife for putting up with my tool addiction!

Stephen Cherry
10-13-2013, 9:42 PM
Great job- I googled that dolly, and it looks like a very nice solution.

Matt Day
10-13-2013, 10:03 PM
It sure is! I was surprised when I searched here on the forum and only found a couple mentions of it.

Sorry I didn't take any action shots - my mind was only focused on the task at hand.

Jeff Erbele
10-13-2013, 10:33 PM
I bought a safe and really wanted it in the basement. I ask the locksmith if he had any idea how to get it down the stairs safely. He said they are hired to mover safes routinely. He had two stair-climbing dollies; one factory-built and another one that he built that was super heavy-duty. I hired him and he did it by himself. It worked like a charm.

Ty Williams
10-14-2013, 12:44 AM
Where did you rent the stair climbing dolly from?

Matt Day
10-14-2013, 7:57 AM
As I mentioned above, United Rentals for $30/day. There are plenty of other places that rent them (Sunbelt, ABC) but the rental price was 3 to 4 times more expensive.

Patrick McCarthy
10-14-2013, 12:35 PM
smart move on reinforcing the stairs. nicely done.

Matt Day
10-14-2013, 4:18 PM
Looks like I forgot to add the picture of the access to the area below the stairs.
272975\
Now you see why I was never below the staircase before!

Charles Lent
10-14-2013, 4:51 PM
Now THAT'S a bandsaw! I can see why you reinforced the stairs and rented that powered hand truck. I would have done the same.

Leave the reinforcement under the stairs. You're going to need it at least one more time.

Charley

Gus Dundon
10-14-2013, 4:59 PM
That's a great band saw. And you did a great job.

fRED mCnEILL
10-14-2013, 6:04 PM
I used to be in the vending business and those stairclimbers are used all the time to move soda and snack vending machines. Guys that have them easily move 8-900 lb soda machines single handedly.BTW, I once saw a vending machine come off the staircimber at the top of the stairs and down it went. Not pretty.

Matt Day
10-14-2013, 6:05 PM
Thanks guys!

Now that the BS is finally in the shop, I ordered up the replacement parts I need and am looking forward to putting this beast back together and getting it running.

Michael Peet
10-14-2013, 7:32 PM
Nice work, and thank you for introducing me to the stair climber. I never knew about those. I've been hesitant about acquiring major machinery because it's so much trouble to get downstairs. I will certainly rent one of these things next time.

Enjoy your saw!

Mike

mreza Salav
10-14-2013, 9:04 PM
Nice move.
I considered renting one of them for moving some of my tools but my problem was I have a 90 degree turn.
I'm glad to hear they worked well for you.