PDA

View Full Version : TWW's assembly table build...

Michael Dunn
10-13-2013, 4:56 PM
M just about finished with my new assembly table. I made some mistakes along the way. Nothing crucial. I was rushing in between paid client projects. I opted to build it to TWW's exact dimensions. I set up my router to route at the center of the marks (for the dadoes in the stretchers). Trouble is, the marks should've been the EDGE of the router bit NOT the center. Oh well. No big deal.

I had to order another flush trim bit. Since I threw out my other a few months ago. Still hurting from that bonehead mistake.

Tomorrow I'll finish the hardboard top and some nice maple around the torsion box too.

A few years back I built a modified version of this. I put levelers on the inside parts as well. This eliminates sagging.

Phil Thien
10-13-2013, 6:53 PM
That looks great, I'm sure it will be indispensable for future jobs!

Michael Dunn
10-14-2013, 7:45 PM
Thanx Phil! Here's some updated pics. I just have to cut some plugs to fill the screw holes. I think I'll use some Purple Heart or Walnut or perhaps some Mahogany. I ordered some renaissance wax to cover the top with. I've heard a lot of good things about that stuff for years. My first try.

Still some oopsies, even in the top. Man was I rushing on this. I hate that I made some stupid mistakes, but I've got paid orders to get to that desperately need this table.

I may build another for my finishing room. I'll start another thread on that.

Howard Rosenberg
10-14-2013, 8:10 PM
Definitely very cool.

Those pics are very informative.

Use it on good jobs for nice people!
Howard

Michael Dunn
10-15-2013, 8:34 AM
Definitely very cool. Those pics are very informative. Use it on good jobs for nice people! Howard

Thanx! I'll sure try. I'll take jobs from any type of person. I've been blessed with great clients all year. Except for one... Grrrrr... LOL!!!

Doug Richardson
10-15-2013, 9:53 AM
Just watched TWW videos. Looks like you did an awesome recreation.....

Would like to build one of those before I assemble the kitchen cabinets, but I'm not sure the master of the kitchen would accept another delay. How much time did you put into it?

Michael Dunn
10-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Just watched TWW videos. Looks like you did an awesome recreation..... Would like to build one of those before I assemble the kitchen cabinets, but I'm not sure the master of the kitchen would accept another delay. How much time did you put into it?

Thanx man!

I'd say a solid 4-5 days over the course of the last two weeks. I just put a coat of GF Georgian Cherry gel stain. Sadly, I rushed the sanding and I think it looks like crap! I'll try another coat tomorrow. Hopefully another coat and some Arm-R-Seal will improve it a bit.

Michael Dunn
10-22-2013, 11:30 AM
Here are the final pics... I used GF Arm-R-Seal semi-gloss, first coat 50/50 blend with MS, then 3 full strength coats. Then I coated it liberally with Renaissance Wax.