PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt Scroll Saw top

Craig Richmond
10-13-2013, 1:47 PM
Hi,
I just got a DeWalt scroll saw and the top has bad grinding/standings lines from the factory. I put some 80 grit to it and then 150 grit to get some rust, stains and factory marks off. I cleaned it and put some Johnson wax on it to protect and smooth it up.
It still has the bad factory marks on but is a little smother. Do I need to go further to get the top like my table saw top or just leave it alone? What have you guys done?
Thanks...

Jim Finn
10-13-2013, 5:14 PM
If the wood slides OK while cutting It is OK. I have heard of some folks covering equipment tops with Formica also.

glenn bradley
10-13-2013, 5:38 PM
What's bad? Mine looks like this and works fine:

Sort of like a blanchard grind(?).

Bruce Page
10-13-2013, 6:09 PM
Like Glenn said, "What's bad?" The top of my BOSS spindle sander was as rough as a cob. I spent an hour or so with my old ROS and some kerosene to smooth it down. It was a VERY messy process!

Kevin McCluney
10-13-2013, 7:33 PM
My Dewalt had a slight high spot where the blade penetrates the top, so I sanded that area flat (and consequently, smooth). Mine also has the circular grind pattern and I've never noticed any problems from it. I wax the top and the wood slides over it easily with no unexpected resistance.

Craig Richmond
10-13-2013, 7:38 PM
Ok, I will leave it alone. Thanks for the input guys.

Tony Haukap
10-13-2013, 8:55 PM
Mine looks like this and works fine:272889I have the Delta version
http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/7371/jcv3.jpg and the table top looks exactly like that - it's probably ground to the same specifications (isn't Delta and DeWalt the same company?) - and I have never had a problem with the top not being 'slick' enough. I assume(d) it was done/specified this way by someone more experienced than me to give you more control over moving the wood through the blade and although it may feel and look really rough, wood seems to move over it just fine... now, it doesn't 'float' over the surface like on the glass smooth tablesaw surface, but maybe with a scrollsaw that isn't want you want anyway.

Bill Geibe
10-14-2013, 1:00 AM
SC,

I did the same thing with mine (Using a ROS) that you did with yours. It works fine.

Bill