PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight Dust Collector Noise Level

Alan Gan
10-13-2013, 3:21 AM
I just bought a HF 2HP Dust Collector after sale and discount coupon under $150.00 out the door. First DC I have ever owned or seen in person.

I have nothing to compare this unit with.

My question is, I unpacked everything and plugged it in. Powered it on without any other connections, it sounds like a 747 taking off. Before I pack it back up for return can you tell me if after adding the filter bag or incorporating a separate Thein type system. will the unit quiet down at all? As is it is way to much for my small shop.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

John Lifer
10-13-2013, 6:42 AM
Once you have the thing put together, with a hose on the intake, it is a good bit quieter, but the fan noise is about the same as any other blower. The motor itself is noisier that it should be. You won't be working over it, but in an enclosed room like a garage, it is loud. I don't think it is louder by a magnitude over any similar machine.

glenn bradley
10-13-2013, 9:14 AM
Its probably more like a Cessna, my cyclone sounds like a 747 ;-) Seriously, I have a Delta bag unit that is dedicated to the jointer. It is quieter with the bags on but, the motor on the delta is almost silent. The air movement and the impeller causing it are still noisy. The sound level was further reduced when I added an after market, oversized singed felt bag to improve efficiency. The noise level is no problem as we all wear ear protection in the shop, right? It's the other people nearby that can object, and rightly so. Whatever you do, do NOT do without dust collection just because it is noisy. Your last ragged breaths rattling in your chest can be noisy too but, I prefer the preventative noise of a dust collector ;-)

Jamie Buxton
10-13-2013, 11:54 AM
When you have a chip collector running, it is likely because you have other machine running that is making chips -- a table saw, or a planer, or the like. Is this chip collector louder than those machines? If it is not as loud as the chip-producing machine, it isn't adding much to general din.

Alan Gan
10-13-2013, 2:19 PM
Once you have the thing put together, with a hose on the intake, it is a good bit quieter, but the fan noise is about the same as any other blower. The motor itself is noisier that it should be. You won't be working over it, but in an enclosed room like a garage, it is loud. I don't think it is louder by a magnitude over any similar machine.

Thanks, I hope it is much quieter once put together.

Its probably more like a Cessna, my cyclone sounds like a 747 ;-) Seriously, I have a Delta bag unit that is dedicated to the jointer. It is quieter with the bags on but, the motor on the delta is almost silent. The air movement and the impeller causing it are still noisy. The sound level was further reduced when I added an after market, oversized singed felt bag to improve efficiency. The noise level is no problem as we all wear ear protection in the shop, right? It's the other people nearby that can object, and rightly so. Whatever you do, do NOT do without dust collection just because it is noisy. Your last ragged breaths rattling in your chest can be noisy too but, I prefer the preventative noise of a dust collector ;-)

I agree Dust control is not an option it is required. I plan on turning it into a 2 stage as well. Thanks!

When you have a chip collector running, it is likely because you have other machine running that is making chips -- a table saw, or a planer, or the like. Is this chip collector louder than those machines? If it is not as loud as the chip-producing machine, it isn't adding much to general din.

It is definitely louder than any other machine I own other than the Planer. I am going to try and set it up today and see how it goes. To me is was a good deal for the money, reviews I have seen are mostly positive. Thanks!

Robert Delhommer Sr
10-13-2013, 2:31 PM
Love my HF DC, can't be beat for the money. :)

Jerome Stanek
10-13-2013, 2:43 PM
Mine is quieter than the Delta that I had before.

Alan Gan
10-13-2013, 3:56 PM
Love my HF DC, can't be beat for the money. :)

Mine is quieter than the Delta that I had before.

Have either of you setup a 2 stage system? Pictures would be great if you have some.

Robert Delhommer Sr
10-13-2013, 7:48 PM
I have a shop built Thien type separator, works great. :)

Johannes Becker
10-13-2013, 7:59 PM
I haven't made it into a two stage system, but I have put in a Thien baffle and added a Wynn cartridge filter. I would throw the HF dust bag away unless you plan to work outside.

Bob Potter
10-13-2013, 8:49 PM
Hello Alan
I have a 650 1hp jet dust collector. I have it hocked up to duck work to all of my machines and it is a two stage in the sense that it goes into a 30 gal garbage can separator. I always wear ear protection but this one is fairly quiet.

Bob

Myk Rian
10-13-2013, 9:55 PM
I put a trash can separator in front of mine.
Sure, it makes noise. They all do.

Steve Peterson
10-13-2013, 11:55 PM
My question is, I unpacked everything and plugged it in. Powered it on without any other connections, it sounds like a 747 taking off.

If you plugged it in with no connections, then it should sound like a 747 taking off. :) The filters and a few feet of hose will add a fair amount or air resistance and it should quiet down a lot.

There is also a potential to overload the motor if it is run without any restriction. The motor moves a tremendous amount of air when it runs wide open. It takes power to move the air and this requires more electricity. Running a blower wide open for long periods of time could overheat the motor. The breaker should trip before this would occur so there should not be any long term damage to your system. It should quiet down after everything is assembled.

Steve

Alan Gan
10-14-2013, 12:14 AM
Hello Alan
I have a 650 1hp jet dust collector. I have it hocked up to duck work to all of my machines and it is a two stage in the sense that it goes into a 30 gal garbage can separator. I always wear ear protection but this one is fairly quiet.Bob

I have a shop built Thien type separator, works great. :)

I haven't made it into a two stage system, but I have put in a Thien baffle and added a Wynn cartridge filter. I would throw the HF dust bag away unless you plan to work outside.

I put a trash can separator in front of mine.
Sure, it makes noise. They all do.

Bob, Robert, Johannes and Myk, Can any of you post some pictures of your setup's? I have searched Google until my head hurts trying to get the best setup for my shop.

If you plugged it in with no connections, then it should sound like a 747 taking off. :) The filters and a few feet of hose will add a fair amount or air resistance and it should quiet down a lot.

There is also a potential to overload the motor if it is run without any restriction. The motor moves a tremendous amount of air when it runs wide open. It takes power to move the air and this requires more electricity. Running a blower wide open for long periods of time could overheat the motor. The breaker should trip before this would occur so there should not be any long term damage to your system. It should quiet down after everything is assembled.Steve

Thanks Steve, I really do not understand what you are saying, running a motor with no load, no restrictions at full tilt or not seems would pull less Amps and run cooler all around... Could you explain?

Alan Gan
10-14-2013, 12:18 AM
Update, got everything assembled today and the noise level without any hose attachments just the 2 Bags were connected, noise went down by at least 50%, you can actually have a conversation with it running. I have a couple more questions that I will post in the DC section of the forum. Thanks for all the advice and comments.

Bob Potter
10-14-2013, 7:24 PM
Here is some pics of dust collector and garbage can separator. Also some pics of some of the piping on north side and there is more on south side that I didn't take any pics of.

Bob272987

Dick Thomas
10-14-2013, 9:08 PM
Thanks Steve, I really do not understand what you are saying, running a motor with no load, no restrictions at full tilt or not seems would pull less Amps and run cooler all around... Could you explain?

Alan: Any fan/blower - air mover - does maximum work when totally open to free airflow, i.e., the impeller is open to 'grab' and move all the air it possibly can. It is NOT running at no load! Therefore under that condition it draws MAXIMUM power and is most likely to overload the motor. Manufacturers of finished goods do not normally install motors large enough to handle that 'Open Discharge' load. When a blower is completely closed off - intake & discharge blocked - it will draw it's minimum power, just enough to spin the impeller in it's contained 'plug of air.

The same situation applies to any centrifugal liquid moving device - pump. Mamumum power draw at maximum flow.

In industrial applications (my engineering experience) the piping system is designed first to handle requirements, then a blower or pump is selected to meet the flow needed at the desired pressure, AND FINALLY a motor is selected which has sufficient power output to turn the blower at the rpm needed to achieved the design flow/pressure.

Myk Rian
10-14-2013, 9:56 PM
Here's one of my setup. The long hose on the floor goes to the table saw.
I do admit it needs cleaning up of the hoses.