PDA

View Full Version : New primary bevel on Lie Nielsen chisels?

Mike Rother
10-13-2013, 1:29 AM
Just got a set of new Lie Nielsen A2 chisels. They come ground at 30 degrees.
I typically hollow grind my previous set of chisels at 25 degrees on the Tormek and then apply a 30 degree microbevel on my water stones. Should I do the same process on these Lie Nielsen chisels, or stay with the 30 degree angle and add a 5 degree microbevel to that bringing it to 35 degrees? Rather not have to re grind them all on the Tormek if I don't have to.

THanks

Hilton Ralphs
10-13-2013, 2:32 AM
If you are using a micro-bevel then the main bevel is irrelevant in terms of exactly what angle it is. Thirty degrees will give the end more strength though. Why not give them a solid work out and then decide?

Rick Markham
10-13-2013, 2:36 AM
The A2 chisels are ground at a higher angle because that tool steel performs better at that angle. All of mine have been fantastic performers without a micro bevel, but there should be no reason that a micro bevel on it wouldn't work with the 30 degree angle. Their O1 Chisels are ground at 25 degrees just FYI. I wouldn't waste the time or steel regrinding them on the tormek. +1 for putting them to work

Jim Koepke
10-13-2013, 3:11 AM
If they were mine they would be left with a flat bevel at 30º.

jtk

Derek Cohen
10-13-2013, 3:21 AM
If you plan to use them with a mallet, then always grind and/or hone at 30 degrees. 25 degrees is generally too low for a chisel that is struck.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Matthew N. Masail
10-13-2013, 6:57 AM
you can hollow grind them at the current 30, then free-handing them will be easy.

I sharpen my Japanese white steel chisels with a flat 35degree angle, still pares very nicely and I can chop without worry. so a 1-5 degree micro bevel should be fine if you prefer the sharpen that way.

John Coloccia
10-13-2013, 8:50 AM
I would start honing them freehand at the current 30 degrees. One of two things will happen:

1) you'll start botching it up and rounding it over, at which point you can grind them to whatever you want

or

2) you'll get good at maintaining a flat bevel freehand and you'll never worry about it again

:)

Mike Rother
10-13-2013, 10:09 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'll keep them at 30 ( and possibly try a secondary bevel at 35), and if I get in the weeds I'll re grind at go back to what I'm used to.

hopefully I'm shaving hair hair off my arm this time tomorrow night...

Hilton Ralphs
10-13-2013, 11:59 PM
I think I'll keep them at 30 ( and possibly try a secondary bevel at 35), and if I get in the weeds I'll re grind at go back to what I'm used to.

Mike, with respect you are not listening to the advice given here. Look at Rick's post again please.

Mike Rother
10-14-2013, 12:29 AM
"All of mine have been fantastic performers without a micro bevel, but there should be no reason that a micro bevel on it wouldn't work with the 30 degree angle."

yes. That's exactly what I'm going to try.