PDA

View Full Version : Clean Up of Can't Rustist

Jim Koepke
10-12-2013, 10:08 PM
Time was spent in the shop last night and today cleaning up the two finds from yesterday.

Mostly just a little solvent and wire brush mounted in the drill press for cleaning.

The grinder needed a bushing between the 3/8" shaft and the 1/2" hole in the wheel. Found one laying around amongst my collection of stuff I hate to throw away.

While using the grinder the nut seemed to want to come undone so a jam nut was added. Used it to change the bevel angle on a cheap chisel. It actually works pretty well. Need to rig up an angle guide/tool holder for repeatable results. Being able to control the tool with one hand while cranking with the other will be very helpful.

Hope I don't get so addicted that I have to go out an buy an electric model.

The drill has a two jaw chuck that doesn't hold small twist drill bits very well. 3/16" and larger seem to be okay. Trying a 1/2" auger seems to be the practical limit for those.

The level on the body works fine. Nice feature.

Dave Beauchesne
10-13-2013, 12:03 AM
Nice finds Jim.

I like the level on the drill as well.

I use my hand crank grinder all the time. Somehow I had a spare LV adjustable platform for the bevel angle; I don't use the guide, just freehand slide it back and forth.

Now, what was the ask for the two items? I know you have a good eye, so a preliminary ' you suck ' is in order.

Dave B

Jim Koepke
10-13-2013, 2:40 AM
Now, what was the ask for the two items? I know you have a good eye, so a preliminary ' you suck ' is in order.

In the original post of Can't Rustist it was revealed that the total for both was $3 + tax.

So yes, a "you suck" is in order on this gloat.

jtk

Hilton Ralphs
10-13-2013, 2:45 AM
Is that breast drill similar to a Millers Falls No. 19?

Jim Koepke
10-13-2013, 3:06 AM
Is that breast drill similar to a Millers Falls No. 19?

They do seem similar though it looks as if the No. 19 doesn't have a level.

The Millers Falls No. 18 has a level, but it may also have a 3-jaw chuck.

When these were made there were a lot of twist drill bits made with a square tapered shank. A few of them have come my way over the years. This drill may get set up with a screwdriver bit or a counter sink.

jtk

Lonnie Gallaher
10-13-2013, 8:45 PM
Jim, just a thought on the nut coming loose when using the grinder. It looks like the grinder is mounted so that it is cranked on the left side. Most hand powered grinders I have seen were mounted to crank on the right side. It may be that you are torquing the wheel in the direction that the nut turns to loosen.

Jim Koepke
10-13-2013, 8:57 PM
Jim, just a thought on the nut coming loose when using the grinder. It looks like the grinder is mounted so that it is cranked on the left side. Most hand powered grinders I have seen were mounted to crank on the right side. It may be that you are torquing the wheel in the direction that the nut turns to loosen.

Could be the case. A jam nut fixed it as I tend to crank in both directions depending on what is being done.

Sharpened a hatchet today and that involved using the wheel in both directions. Tend to bump the handle if just the hatchet is flipped.

Did a great job free hand on the hatchet. Just a bit of touch up on the stones and out to the wood shed.

Making kindling went a lot easier today. My regular hatchet is a lot lighter than the wife's hatchet. Her hatchet hadn't been used in a long time. So today the time seemed right since we are coming into the cold season.

jtk