PDA

View Full Version : Sore neck from woodworking?

Kelly Colin Mark
10-12-2013, 10:00 PM
I work all day at a computer. I'm prone to neck stiffness and pain. Recently I've had it in spades and chalked it up to my sitting posture. The knots in my shoulder and neck are noticed let. But then I noticed the pain acting up as I left my workshop. As I thought about it, I realized that I'd been woodworking a lot more recently, and that when I'm in the shop, I'm looking down most of the time... Which would seem to be very hard on the neck and back muscles.

Anybody experience similar problems and if so, how do you handle it?

Bill Whig
10-12-2013, 10:16 PM
I work all day at a computer. I'm prone to neck stiffness and pain. Recently I've had it in spades and chalked it up to my sitting posture. The knots in my shoulder and neck are noticed let. But then I noticed the pain acting up as I left my workshop.

I think you are just having residual pain from "working all day at a computer". Maybe you can adjust the height of the monitor and/or keyboard? I used to have some pains like the ones you described until I raised the keyboard about 4 inches (good ww project). Good luck finding your solution.

Bill in IN

Julie Moriarty
10-12-2013, 10:27 PM
I get that when I'm spending a lot of time looking down. I try to be conscious of how long I'm in a bad posture and try to change it up so I don't end up stiff.

Years ago I was having perpetual back problems. After seeing my GP and a chiropractor, I finally decided on seeing an orthopedic surgeon. He did a complete check up and then wrote me a prescription for back school. I thought he was kidding. He wasn't. It was a combination of physical therapy and education about the workings of the spine. One thing I took away that really made a difference was this:

When you are bent over for long periods of time, the vertebrae squeeze the discs on the forward side of the direction you are bending and cause them to bulge on the other side, as in the image on the left below. They need to be "reset". So periodically bend back in the opposite direction and hold it for 10-20 seconds. Once I started doing this regularly, my back problems all but vanished.

http://www.chiro.org/LINKS/GRAPHICS/Facet_Joints.jpg

Roy Harding
10-12-2013, 11:34 PM
I had the same problem. At the time, I was wearing "progressive" bi-focals. Because most detail work was being done at a specific distance (18 - 24 inches) from my face, I had to hold my head in a specific position in order to do it. I switched back to "reading" and "distance" glasses, and the problem went away.

For what it's worth - most of my "previous life", before woodworking full-time, was spent at a computer terminal. The same problem existed, and the solution was the same.

In both cases, getting away from whatever I was doing, and stretching as outlined by Julie was extremely helpful. In my case, the PERMANENT solution was changing eyeglasses over to "purpose built" lenses.

Mike Cutler
10-13-2013, 6:28 AM
Yep, same problem.

In addition to the solutions that Julie and Roy offered up, I also changed the height of my bench. I am 6' 2" and my bench is 41" off the ground. Moving it up eased that acute angle my neck was put at.

Ellen Benkin
10-13-2013, 7:52 AM
I'll second the suggestion to get "woodworking" glasses. I can't see across the shop but I don't have to strain to see whatever I'm working on.

Rich Engelhardt
10-13-2013, 9:01 AM
Add me to the list of what Roy said about reading glasses.
Exact same story - work all day on computer & wear bi focals.

I went to the local dollar store and for about $20 I picked up a good assortment of different strength glasses.
I keep pairs of them laying nearby everything,,,the computer, the drawing board in the shop, in the glove box of each vehicle, in the tool box, in the laptop bag,,,etc...

Jim Matthews
10-13-2013, 5:41 PM
I've got terrible vision.

I still manage. Bench height appropriate to a task is important.
I think most shops are far too dark, and better lighting will alleviate
much of this neck strain, as you struggle to make out where things are in the dark.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/editors-blog/led-workbench-light

Jim Neeley
10-13-2013, 5:55 PM
+1 on bench height and lighting.

My bench top is 3'x7' with a "swiss cheese" top, with 3/4" dog holes about every 4" along the length and 5 holes across the width. Hey, it was my first bench top and it still works. <g>

I don't often use other than the front row or two for my work but I made an adapter from 3/4" dowel and a block of wood that permits me to stick a cheap swing arm lamp base, giving me light mobility. After seeing how much it helped I added 4 more of them, after replacing the 60 watt bulbs with 9 watt LED bulbs. I have 3 in the far row for "area lighting" and two closer for specific spot lighting.

It's amazing how not only has my eye and neck strain gone down, but now that I can clearly see my cut line, my saw cuts much better!! <g>

Jim

Roy Harding
10-13-2013, 6:49 PM
+1 on bench height and lighting.

I don't often use other than the front row or two for my work but I made an adapter from 3/4" dowel and a block of wood that permits me to stick a cheap swing arm lamp base, giving me light mobility. After seeing how much it helped I added 4 more of them, after replacing the 60 watt bulbs with 9 watt LED bulbs. I have 3 in the far row for "area lighting" and two closer for specific spot lighting.

It's amazing how not only has my eye and neck strain gone down, but now that I can clearly see my cut line, my saw cuts much better!! <g>

Jim

I LIKE that idea - I'm going to do the same (or something similar).

Jim Matthews
10-14-2013, 9:08 AM
I bought this LED task light (http://www.amazon.com/Bayco-NSP-1160-Multi-Purpose-Flashlight-Black/dp/B004BDNKPY/ref=sr_1_34?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1381755973&sr=1-34) from BAYCO for fussier jobs.

It's easier to bring light to the work, than the other way around.
With the overhead lighting and IKEA gooseneck, it's a good deal easier now.

I attended a 9 day class, and found that as the lighting changed through the day - so did my posture.

Julie Moriarty
10-14-2013, 12:58 PM
I agree that good lighting is important (as the ability to easily see what you're doing :rolleyes:). I have (6) 8' twin tube HO fluorescent fixtures in my shop, a dedicated 4' one over the lathe and a dedicated 4' T8 single tube fluorescent fixture over the workbench, mounted to the bottom of the shelves above. Then I have moveable lights that illuminate the drill press or bandsaw when needed. A couple of years ago I replaced the tubes with 6500K ones. It really brightened up the shop. And, like others here, I have several pairs of glasses of different magnification.

But I'll still get that stiffness in the neck and back if I forget basic posture rules. When you're really deep into a task, it's easy to forget.

Gus Dundon
10-14-2013, 5:23 PM
I get that when I'm spending a lot of time looking down. I try to be conscious of how long I'm in a bad posture and try to change it up so I don't end up stiff.

Years ago I was having perpetual back problems. After seeing my GP and a chiropractor, I finally decided on seeing an orthopedic surgeon. He did a complete check up and then wrote me a prescription for back school. I thought he was kidding. He wasn't. It was a combination of physical therapy and education about the workings of the spine. One thing I took away that really made a difference was this:

When you are bent over for long periods of time, the vertebrae squeeze the discs on the forward side of the direction you are bending and cause them to bulge on the other side, as in the image on the left below. They need to be "reset". So periodically bend back in the opposite direction and hold it for 10-20 seconds. Once I started doing this regularly, my back problems all but vanished.

http://www.chiro.org/LINKS/GRAPHICS/Facet_Joints.jpg

Did you experience some thing like your neck won’t twist as far as it normally does? clicking and grating noises? excessive tiredness and irritability, especially if your neck pain is disturbing your sleep?

Jim Matthews
10-15-2013, 7:21 AM
Did you experience some thing like your neck won’t twist as far as it normally does? clicking and grating noises? excessive tiredness and irritability, especially if your neck pain is disturbing your sleep?

Not to be flip, but how old is your pillow/mattress?
Most of us spend a third of our lives, sleeping.

Steve Rozmiarek
10-15-2013, 1:59 PM
Julie, thanks for the post. I tried the posture reset technique while combining corn this weekend, and by golly, it worked!