PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your index finger…

Steve Voigt
10-12-2013, 7:50 PM
…on a closed tote?
I'm making a closed tote for a shopmade woodie plane. I've made a couple totes on other planes. They're comfy, but one thing is not quite right: I can almost, but not quite, curl the first joint of my index finger over the front of the tote. I think I need to either make it easier to curl my finger, or make it impossible.
So, do you curl your finger, as in the first picture, or extend it straight, as in the 2nd picture?
Thanks,
Steve

Dave Beauchesne
10-12-2013, 11:58 PM
Second option is how I roll. Don't know why, that just feels right.

Dave Beauchesne.

Rick Markham
10-13-2013, 2:41 AM
I'm a finger pointer if it is available.

Kees Heiden
10-13-2013, 5:12 AM
I like to stretch my index finger. My jointer has a pretty extreme bulge to support the finger.

David Weaver
10-13-2013, 9:00 AM
The latter. If for no other reason, you don't want a tight grip with your back hand, it's a good way to fatigue your hands and fingers and eventually contribute to carpal tunnel.

george wilson
10-13-2013, 9:04 AM
Straight finger is the correct way for planes or saws.

Rob Webb
10-13-2013, 1:50 PM
George Wilson is right on the money. By pointing your index finger, it helps make the tool an extension of your arm. This giving you far more control of the tool. As a young boy (approximately 6 yrs of age) while I watching my father working in the shop, he grabbed a piece of wood, drew a line down it. He told me to take the hand saw and cut it as close to the line as I could but leave the line on the wood. I grabbed the saw as I would hold a hammer, and began to cut the wood. After a short period of time, my father stopped me, reached down and lifted my index finger from my grip and extended it, pointing down the saw. He then asked me to try it that way and see if there was any difference. After finishing the cut, I could not only feel a deference, but, I could see a difference in the cut. He then took the time to explain it, just as I did at the beginning of the post. Shortly after he showed how to plane in the same fashion. Lesson learned, and never forgotten.

Jim Koepke
10-13-2013, 2:13 PM
George Wilson is right on the money. By pointing your index finger, it helps make the tool an extension of your arm. This giving you far more control of the tool.

Hey Rob,

Welcome to the light side (posting) of the cave. Hope you have more to share in the future.

What part of this little planet do you call home?

jtk

Winton Applegate
10-13-2013, 4:57 PM
Sorry, I am on a Borg thing to day.

Finger rest important for control and health of the hand and arm for long term woodworking.

Question : Thus rendering this jointer nearly impossible to use for long periods if at all ?

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/low-angle-bench-planes/low-angle-jointer/

Questions and comments pop up :

I used this jointer for long periods of time and developed no carpal tunnel.
I found the jointer plane in general BU or BD to be disappointing in performance for making extremely flat surfaces or super straight and accurate but joints.

My other jointer is a LN BD and I extended my index finger.

Returning to a smaller plane to perfect both.

The big thing these days is "Simplify" less tools is more. I will never give up my nice iron jointers cause I like them too much for their matcho look on the shelf but I swear I can do about as well (better acutully ) with less energy expenditure with a shorter plane and the straight edge I am going to check the surface with anyway.

I hate it when people say this but I will use it here : That's just me.

Certainly the huge weight savings of the wood jointer, which I have much respect for, would off set the strain of the iron jointer to make the finger thing irrelevant in the fatigue category for many. Meaning if one doesn't want joint/tunnel strain don't use a huge iron plane.

When I plane I tend to grip to lift the plane but relax and push with the palm with some gentle guidance from the rest of the hand. I started out all tense and death gripping and experimented with all that. It takes hardly any force to influence the cut of the plane through the handle. I credit this grip relax method with ensuring superior circulation through the arm and hand. During long periods of planing it is do this or die especially with my method of using a stack of blades so I don't stop to hone every little bit.

My answer is I point if I have a finger rest or I suppose if the handle is too darn short but grip if the handle is large enough such as on an LN BU jack. I learned to compensate for both depending on the plane. Used that LN BU jack for stupid long all day planing sessions on the hardest stuff.

Bruised palm but no carpal.

I felt like I had excellent control. The only problem was the adjuster on that plane can cause the blade to tilt and dig slightly more on one side without realizing it when slightly advancing the blade. Or when retracting it then readvancing it if I over advanced. THAT WAS WAY MORE of a problem than any finger thing. I prefer the LV blade control system because of that problem. I learned various ways of determining if the blade tilts while adjusting so . . .

even the weirdest things one can adapt to. Even plane handles that are so short you can't put all your fingers around it.

:)

Come on I am fooling around.
I ENJOYED LEARNING ABOUT THE FINGER REST on the plane in the photo and your Dad's instruction !
+ 1 on
Keep them coming.

Steve Voigt
10-13-2013, 7:48 PM
Thanks for chiming in everyone.Looks like pointing is the clear favorite.
Rob, welcome to the creek, and cool story about your Dad.

-Steve