PDA

View Full Version : Delta 31-255 q and hidden gloat

Brad Hammond
06-01-2005, 11:19 PM
well, rain today equals a trip to decatur to pick up my new delta drum sander. sorry i dont have pics...........i surrender to the pic police.

anywhoo....... i'd read extensively before purchasing trying to decide between performax and delta. ended up with delta cause of the $25 off and $100 rebate from amazon.

so far i'm quite happy with the limited tests i was able to perform today, but a quick question for other owners. i seem to have been bitten by the "height adjustment" bug. if i lower it all the way down and try to raise it back up i have to fiddle with the table adjustment nuts to unlock the table, which takes it out of parallel. that's not a huge prob for me cause i can't imagine sanding anything over 2" thick. have ya'll found a solution for this?
second, i did have to adjust the table a bit for get it parallel to the drum, but i'm still out of parallel by .005" am i askin too much? hehe

thanx all
cya
brad

John Miliunas
06-02-2005, 8:00 AM
Brad, first off, congrats on your new sander!:) Secondly, I think I would contact Delta directly on the issue(s) you're having. I picked mine up a year or so ago and, from what I understand, the issue you're speaking of had supposedly been addressed. I know I've had absolutely NO problem (knock on wood!) with the table "locking up" on mine. OTH, you're right that there will probably be very rare occasions that you'll go over 2" thickness, but it's still something you should have Delta address. Even with the discount, them things are NOT cheap.

As for the parallelism, IMHO, .005, if measured across the *entire* width of the platter, isn't too bad. I think the worst of that might be noticed if you do stuff in excess of the 18" capacity, by flipping your work 180°. For pieces narrower than 18", that same .005 will diminish as you go to lesser widths. If I recall, I was able to dial mine in within about .002 or .003 across the width of the platter.:) :cool:

Kelly C. Hanna
06-02-2005, 9:50 AM
Congrats on the new sander!!!

Brad Hammond
06-02-2005, 10:31 AM
thanx all. i'm gonna call delta today and see what i screwed up. lol

another rain day today, so i get to play in the shop. maybe i'll get to build a mobile base for it! yeehaww.

cya
brad

Brad Hammond
06-02-2005, 2:47 PM
gotter all fixed up today! quick call to delta lead me to my infeed table being too high. i levelled the table to the stand and i'm off and running.

great folks to talk too as well!

on another side. the house is coming back together nicely, i have to work tomorrow so i guess they'll get the second floor decked and start on walls. insurance was a breeze to deal with! the thing fell on a saturday and the very next saturday we had a check in hour hand!
thanx all
brad