PDA

View Full Version : I'm a glutton for punishment...

Silas Smith
06-01-2005, 10:42 PM
I got roped into buying a jet 1442 (with a oneway chuck and jumbo jaws) thanks to a fellow creeker. He has offered to teach me what he knows and I am grateful for the help. I have only worked on the straight stuff until now and now I have to learn everything I can about turning.

What does it mean to remove the pith from a log?

I have a friend who has a bunch of pecan and mesquite trees. He said I can have as much wood as I want. How should I harvest it?

I believe that he has a bunch of dead and live trees. I would like to give some of it to the fellow who sold me the lathe, in appreciation for the turning lessons, but I want it to be useful.

Last question, is there a woodturners club in Houston where they don't mind ignorance sprinkled with a desire to learn?

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-01-2005, 11:29 PM
Evening Silas

I'm not any expert, but have taken some trees and logs. To "remove the pith" - you locate it on either end of the log. It is usually in the center, but may be offset to one side. The easiest way I've found to remove it is to make a saw cut beside it, then make another cut on the other side of it. This will igve you two pieces that are clear of pith and one thin piece with the pith in it. I make it at least 1 inch thick, so that after drying, I can use it for pens. The two outside pieces, after drying, will kind of bow out on the side where the pith was. While the wood is drying, the ends should be sealed with something like "AnchorSeal". If you don't artificially help the wood dry, the rule of thumb is 1 year per inch of thickness to be dry.

To "harvest wood, you have to think about what you want to make out of it. Flat stuff means you need to make boards. For turning, you will need blanks for bowls, boxes, platters, etc. Some you might want to leave the bark on for "natural edge" items.

Hope this helps some. I would bet there are several woodworking groups in your area. Visit them and join the one that makes you feel the most comfortable while offering the knowledge of experienced woodworkers.

Bruce

Larry Korn
06-02-2005, 2:13 PM
http://www.gulfcoastwoodturners.org/

Try this link for a turning club that meets in Pasadena. Also, look in the American Asociation of Woodturners website for more www.woodturner.org (http://www.woodturner.org)

Larry

Shannon Grizzell
06-02-2005, 9:52 PM
Silas,
I'd also suggest checking out The Cutting Edge. They're located in Houston on Beltway 8 at 59 S.

The founder/owner of the store is an active turner and is invovled in the Gulf Coast Turners group mentioned above. They have free demonstrations on most Saturdays. According to their web site, they have one on turning basic coming up on June 25th.

I did recently buy a powermatic jointer from them and they have been helpful in resolving some minor issues after the sale, so I've had good dealings with them. I'm thinking of taking some of their paid classes coming up this summer.

Their web site is cuttingedgetools.com.