PDA

View Full Version : Beale buffer tool won't budge

Bob Kline
10-11-2013, 5:55 PM
My lathe has been relegated to buffer duty for over a year and now the Beale bar with the tripoli and wax wheels seems to be permanently attached. I have whacked with a heavy mallet and knockout bar but it won't budge from the Morse #2 fitting. Any suggestions on how to get it out?

Ken Fitzgerald
10-11-2013, 6:20 PM
Is there any way to apply heat in a controlled fashion to the female portion of the morse taper. Heat should cause it to expand and maybe loosen its grip.

Maybe use a heat gun and while it's still warm, try the mallet and knockout bar again.

Thom Sturgill
10-11-2013, 6:27 PM
You might also try penetrating oil. A test done by Machinst's Workshop Mag apparently found that a 50-50 mix of Automatic Transmission Fluid and Acetone worked best at freeing stuck bolts. Liquid wrench worked far better than WD40.

The problem I see with heat is possible damage to the bearings, but too much hammering can damage them too.

Bob Kline
10-11-2013, 8:08 PM
You might also try penetrating oil. A test done by Machinst's Workshop Mag apparently found that a 50-50 mix of Automatic Transmission Fluid and Acetone worked best at freeing stuck bolts. Liquid wrench worked far better than WD40.

The problem I see with heat is possible damage to the bearings, but too much hammering can damage them too.
Thanks for the ideas. I'll check them out tomorrow. I hadn't thought about the possible bearing damage.

Jerry Toschlog
10-11-2013, 8:09 PM
I had a fitting stick a few days ago and like you I was hitting the knockout pretty hard. I goggled it and read to ice it for 10 mins. I tried that and in about 4 mins it popped right out.

Thom Sturgill
10-11-2013, 9:18 PM
I had a fitting stick a few days ago and like you I was hitting the knockout pretty hard. I goggled it and read to ice it for 10 mins. I tried that and in about 4 mins it popped right out.

Icing the insert would provide the same effect as heating the spindle and is MUCH safer, IMHO.

Jeremy Pyatskowit
10-11-2013, 10:12 PM
if you're using a drawbolt, loosen the bolt a few turns, then hit the end of the bolt instead of using the knock-out bar. that worked better than a knock-out bar in my lathe.

Bob Kline
10-13-2013, 8:05 AM
Thanks for your help. Penetrating oil (plus a mighty whack) finally did the trick.

Thom Sturgill
10-13-2013, 8:50 AM
Now get one of these:
and make sure you keep the Morse Taper clean.

Roger Chandler
10-13-2013, 2:27 PM
Now get one of these:
and make sure you keep the Morse Taper clean.

+1 on Thom's advice...........keep it clean and those occurrences are far less likely to happen!