PDA

View Full Version : New Cabinet Issues

Dick Strauss
10-11-2013, 5:41 PM
We recently ordered some new kitchen cabinets that were not cheap at all. Some of the delivered cabinets had bowed/cracked face frames, nails protruding on the insides, glue globs on the face frames under the finish, misaligned faces on multiple drawers, broken hardware, partially stained doors, etc. all after having been inspected by 2-3 people. The manufacturer agreed to replace some of the cabinets and the retailer has agreed to pay to have the cabinets re-installed and drawer faces aligned

Unfortunately, three weeks have passed since the issue was discovered. One replacement upper cabinet has to be remade once again due to glue globs on a finished plywood end. Several other replacement cabs arrived with some overspray causing a bumpy surface. They want the finish carpenters to knock the finish bumps down with fine steel wool. I'm hesitant to allow them to do this fearing that they will burn through the cat varnish finish. How do I protect myself from the manufacturer saying my guys caused the damage when they were attempting to fix poor factory workmanship?

Also, the backs of all drawer fronts have holes in them but none of the sample drawers in any displays do that I have seen at two different retailers. I've been told that this is where they hang the fronts for finishing. I don't understand why they didn't choose a point 2 inches toward the center where the drawer box would cover the holes or put a screw in the center and wire to the exposed screw. I may have chosen a different manufacturer had I known that they would allow such things to go to consumers.

I'm very frustrated with this sitatuation because it has delayed the completion of our kitchen by several weeks since some of these issues are with base cabs (and we can't install granite until all base cabs are in place). How would you folks handle this situation?

Peter Froh
10-11-2013, 6:03 PM
I would demand a full refund and take my business elsewhere. Sad to say but it sounds like Ikea would deliver a better product for less!

Sam Murdoch
10-11-2013, 6:27 PM
I suggest that you insist that a manufacturer's rep AND a retailer rep meet you together to hear and see your detailed list of complaints. They are already into trying to correct the issues but sounds like there is some flailing going on and that your aren't getting close to satisfaction. I don't imagine that you can now refuse the cabinets and ask for a refund. Going down that road depends on your willingness to fight - your willingness to wait on having a kitchen and how much money has already changed hands. The fact that they are trying and in the process of making corrections gives them quite a bit of legal latitude but you still should be assured satisfaction. I certainly would not have a local finish carpenter repair the finish. The manufacturer should send someone.

Don't be shy about telling them you will flame them on the world wide web including this now ongoing thread on Sawmill Creek. Use whatever leverage you can muster - firm and steady and without getting shrill. Sorry for your troubles. Good luck.

Dick Strauss
10-11-2013, 7:05 PM
Sam,
I defintely agree with you about not wanting to let the carpenters touch the finish.

Unfortunately I'm still finding quality issues on the cabinets that I thought were okay. One corner cab has a finished plywood end that is flush to the face frame at the bottom (as it is supposed to be) and wonders in so that the face frame sticks out about 1/16" at the top. I've found more glue globs and dents/scratches on cab faces. I'd like to have these replaced as well but am not sure about waiting another 3 weeks for replacements and rescheduling the granite install along with sink install (Thanksgiving, here we come!).

One of the original cabs was an 84" cab with a toe kick. Both corners of the solid maple face above the toe kick were split. One cracked corner was poorly glued at the factory and finshed over while the other one wasn't noticed until install.

Sadly enough, the manufacturer's rep didn't see the excess glue and scratches on both the end panel and face on the replacement cab even though he opened the box and checked it. Now this cab has to be re-ordered once again but thankfully it is an upper.

For whatever reason, I thought I was getting drawers replaced to correct finish issues. Instead, they sent faces only that are 1/8" smaller top to bottom so spacing will have to adjusted for all drawer faces including the row next to it. In addition, one replacement face has several chips near the top corner.

I have met with a sales rep from the manufacturer, and the sales rep and manager from the retailer. The retailer has been working with me but I'm obviously frustrated at this point. Peter, if it weren't for the 5-8 week lead time to get cabs from another company, I might have said "take them away " and asked for a complete refund.

I'll have to talk to my wife and see if she wants to wait again! I'm looking like a liar at this point after telling her this would be done about a month ago.

George Bokros
10-11-2013, 7:26 PM
Send them back. Far too many flaws / problems for me to ever be satisfied.

Phil Thien
10-11-2013, 7:55 PM
I agree w/ sending them back. A few problems could be expected. Problems even with the replacements, unacceptable.

Sam Murdoch
10-11-2013, 8:03 PM
I agree w/ sending them back. A few problems could be expected. Problems even with the replacements, unacceptable.

Based on the update I think this is good advice.

Frederick Skelly
10-11-2013, 8:12 PM
Dick,
Im a hardnose about getting what I pay for. I want it right and Im willing to pay for good product to be sure its right. As someone else said you are not being unreasonable as long as you are not "shrill".

While I think it is unlikely they will refund your money at this point, Id definitely ask the retailer (quietly, on the side) if its an option. You continue to have quality problems and are getting bad answers from the mfgr. I were having that conversation, Id offer to buy the replacement cabinets through the same retailer to sweeten the pot for a refund. (Use some other mfgr that the retailer carries, obviously.) Dont lose track of (or let the retailer lose track of) the fact that the retailer is getting valuable info on his supplier here.

Also, the retailer has more leverage than you do - he may sell lots of this mfgrs stuff. So if he says "Im going to refund this mans money if you cant make it right", that will carry some weight.

I strongly agree with the guys above - I would not let anyone but the mfgr touch that finish. Once they do, you have no recourse.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Fred

Rich Enders
10-11-2013, 10:35 PM
Dick,

I feel your frustration. But it could be worse:

Late in the 80's. Whole house rehab. Custom cherry cabinets throughout. Trades are busy. Cabinet lead time 6 weeks. Oops.. trades got busier. Cabinet lead time 8 weeks. One cabinet maker promises 6 weeks to keep our project on schedule. 6 weeks no cabinets. 7 weeks no cabinets. 8 weeks no cabinets. Cabinet makers stealing employees from one another. Looking for other cabinet maker(s). Trades are busier still. Cabinet lead time from 6 other companies now 12 weeks. Original guy promises 10 weeks........ Delivery finally in 26 weeks (Yes, 26 weeks).