PDA

View Full Version : Challenging Dovetails

David Peterson
10-11-2013, 3:39 PM
I was passing by an antique store and this trunk caught my eye. What I at first thought was marquetry was actually joinery at each of the corners. What a bit of work this was. The trunk was listed as 19th century but no other info was available; the salesman thought it came out of Pennsylvania. So, German or Dutch design, perhaps? I'd wanted to take a look at the inside of the trunk but it was buried within a display. If I was considering a purchase the guy would have pulled it out. Selling for $6,500 I decided to take a pass.

It's interesting how design motifs repeat themselves. The shape of these 'dovetails' could fit right into an Art Deco frieze or a Navajo tapestry. As a piece of woodworking it was unique to what I'd seen in the past. Commercially made or a solo effort? Either way, hats off to whoever pulled it off.

Mike Henderson
10-11-2013, 4:41 PM
Very interesting. Those are what's called Bermuda dovetails. Bermuda dovetails are not of a specific design but are always cut as a pattern in the tails. Google Bermuda dovetails for more info. You don't see them very often because of the difficulty in making them.

Better yet, do a Google image search on Bermuda dovetails and you'll see how varied they are.

Mike

Frank Drew
10-13-2013, 1:33 PM
Mike,

Many years ago FineWoodworking did a photo article on Bermuda dovetails; should be in the online archives for anyone with access.

Jim Koepke
10-13-2013, 2:00 PM
Mike,

Many years ago FineWoodworking did a photo article on Bermuda dovetails; should be in the online archives for anyone with access.

Issue #35 has this image and a write up:

Many years later they had another article about shaping dovetails. The procedure is similar to making half blinds and then creating matching designs that are cut through the cover and matched on the pins or tail board to contrast the other.

It was the second article that inspired me to cut some hearth shaped dovetails (lovetails) on some of my work.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?95360-Lovetail-Experiment-amp-Practice

From the date on this post my inclination is to suggest looking for FWW magazines from that era. Back then my subscription was still running.

jtk

Hilton Ralphs
10-13-2013, 3:07 PM
Issue #83 page 51

Jim Koepke
10-13-2013, 3:36 PM
Issue #83 page 51

If you are looking for it on a DVD it is part of the "Building a Cradle" article. The dovetail article is not listed separately in the table of contents.

jtk

Jack Curtis
10-13-2013, 11:06 PM
Here are some detailed instructions from Jeff Gorman: http://www.amgron.clara.net/bermudandtail35.html