PDA

View Full Version : New Grizzly G1023RL: Setup and first impressions

Janis Stipins
10-11-2013, 2:28 PM
Hi everybody, long-time reader, first-time poster...

I am setting up a small wood shop, and ended up going with a new G1023RL for my table saw. I initially tried a Ridgid R4512, but ended up with one of the really squirrelly arbors that basically shifted and reoriented the blade randomly as it went up and down. So I took that one back and decided to invest in something a little better built and a lot safer.

Out of the box, the alignment of the blade and table were right on --- blade perpendicular to the table, and within .001" of parallel to the miter slot, according to my Una-Gauge. The setting of the tilt stops were also right on. I installed both cast iron wings; one of them needed a slip of xerox paper as a shim, the other required no shimming at all.

Then I moved the arbor up and down, and panicked a little bit to see that the blade shifted left to right about .010" when I changed directions. I called Grizzly customer support, and the helpful guy assured me that that was not acceptable, and that I should tighten the gib a bit. So I followed the directions on that, and got it so that it moves up and down smoothly with less than .001" of shifting. All good there; the only thing I'd point out to someone who hasn't done this before is that they're not exaggerating about making *small* adjustments to the set screws... they recommended doing 1/4 turn at a time, but I ended up using 1/8 at a time to get it just right. Also be careful that when you're tightening the nut to lock in your adjustment you don't also turn the set screw as well.

So far so good. Then I put in the riving knife... and it wasn't really even close to aligned. Not a big deal, I thought, since it's also adjustable. Then I proceeded to spend an embarrassing amount of time contorted into a terrible position, trying to make blind adjustments to the mounting block, and trying to correlate the changes to the set screws with changes in the riving knife position. Finally I accidentally loosed one of the cap screws to the point that the whole mounting block fell out, and holding it in my hand it finally dawned on me how the adjustment should work. Probably this is obvious to people with more experience in a machine shop, but the quick way to do this adjustment is to loosen *all* the set screws until the mounting block sits flat against the other piece, then look at the position of the riving knife; if anything, looking from the back of the saw, it should be to the right of the blade. Then make *small* (as in, 1/16 of a turn) tightenings to the four set screws to push the knife to the left, into parallel, as needed. If you overshoot a lot, or just get things messed up somehow, loosen all the set screws and start again. It only (!) took about 45 minutes once I figured out how to adjust it correctly. This whole procedure took a very (very) long time in part because I didn't know what I was doing, but also in part because there is simply no good way to reach the mounting block and simultaneously see the riving knife.

But anyway, the saw is set up, perfectly aligned, and I take it for a spin... it easily passes the nickel test, and even the penny test, with the stock blade. So that's all good. Overall, I'm confident that this is a very solid and accurately aligned tool, and I'm looking forward to using it for the rest of my life or so. (I ended up going with an aftermarket fence/rail system, so I don't have anything to say about the included fence and rails other than Grizzly apparently will not give a refund if you don't want them.)

There are two negatives that I've noticed, though. The first one is that the dust collection is inadequate, at least in the opinion of a disciple of Bill Pentz. This is not a real negative against the G1023RL, though, since basically no hobbyist cabinet saw has adequate out-of-the-box dust collection by those standards. It will be fixed in part by drilling out the dust port to 5", removing the internal dust shroud (with its tiny 2" diameter hose!) and sealing the cabinet better with some magnetic sheets.

The second negative is a bigger one: the blade guard is a Shark-like behemoth that attaches to a big splitter that fits in the riving knife slot. There's nothing wrong with that in principle, but in this particular case the guard assembly seems to be much too heavy for its support: applying any force to either side of the guard easily pushes the splitter out of alignment with the blade. That seems like a bad design to me, and definitely a dangerous situation. I asked the Grizzly customer support guy, and he said he hadn't heard of anyone having this problem; but then, woodworkers are notorious for not using the blade guard at all, so that might be why he hasn't heard about it before. I don't think it's a case of me having a faulty guard, I think it's just that the guard as designed is too heavy for its support. In any event, I'm going to be replacing it with an overhead guard that includes some dust collection, so I'm not concerned.

Anyway, those are my first impressions of this saw. I'd be glad to hear if any of you have experienced similar things with the blade guard in particular.

-JS

David Helm
10-11-2013, 3:29 PM
I got one of the very first 1023RLX to hit this country a couple of years ago. Right out of the box, everything was dead on. No adjustments necessary. Since I am an old woodworker, I did not install the guard so don't know anything about the relative strength/weight ratio of it. I use the riving knife all the time; it was dead on at installation. I, too, agree that the dust shroud, with 2 inch hose, was a disappointment. All in all, I find this saw to be a very satisfactory machine.

glenn bradley
10-11-2013, 4:09 PM
Great saw with a lot of followers; congrats. It was on my short list. You say your guard is "a Shark-like behemoth" but, the Sharkguard is a single unit whereas I thought Grizzly ran a pair of side panels(?). Either way, if your material is pushing the guard to the side, I would check your feed path to be sure you are feeding directly into the blade/guard.

If you are meeting the guard(s) straight on and it still veers to one side or the other, maybe the guard is not lifting freely enough on one side or both (or maybe as you say, it is just too darn heavy)? The guard in their online pictures shows pretty thick plastic plates so I can see what you mean about it being stout.

The raising mechanism would have to be very smooth to allow free movement. Do they seem to catch or drag on anything when they are raised by hand? The guard I have now (SawStop) elevates easily on either side independently or together although they just pivot on metal pins via through-holes in the plastic parts of the guard. My guard sides are actually multiple plastic pieces but, seem fairly light in weight. Sorry this is just a grab-bag of random thoughts but, I use the guard whenever possible and hate to see folks forsake them due to problems. Especially when one is as easy to put on and off as the newer designs.

Cary Falk
10-11-2013, 5:10 PM
I bought the 1023RL the first year it came out. I love the saw. I have never used the guard but I use the riving knife. I have and Excalibur guard. The dust shroud is better than nothing but not perfect. No blade shroud will get al of the dust. I put a blade shroud on a Unisaw with a 4" hose attached and it didn't do any better. To get most of the dust you need a combination of above and below dust collection. Don't seal off all of the cabinet, you need airflow.

Janis Stipins
10-12-2013, 1:27 PM
The raising mechanism would have to be very smooth to allow free movement. Do they seem to catch or drag on anything when they are raised by hand?

Thanks, Glenn, that's a good thought. I'll check on that. The two sides of this guard do move independently, and perhaps they could be lubricated or loosened in some way to move more freely. I still rather suspect that the thing is just too heavy for the splitter, but it's worth checking out in more detail.

-JS

Chris Kennedy
10-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Janis,

Just one question and it helps if you imagine it in a thick Russian accent -- "what about zero divisors?"

(And if you don't get the reference, I've got the wrong Janis Stipins.)

Chris

Janis Stipins
10-13-2013, 5:07 PM
Janis,

Just one question and it helps if you imagine it in a thick Russian accent -- "what about zero divisors?"

(And if you don't get the reference, I've got the wrong Janis Stipins.)

Chris

I was definitely not expecting that here. This is what happens when I'm not allowed to use an alias. ;-)

Bryan Youmans
05-15-2014, 8:22 PM
Janis,

I just got a G1023RLW and am going through almost word for word your experience with the riving knife and mounting block. The manual was no help aside from pointing out where the screws are, but I somehow got mine all screwed up. Do you know which screw controls what exactly on the mounting block? I somehow got mine to the point that event with the set screws firmly screwed in, the entire thing is wobbly as heck even when the quick release lever is locked in place. Ugh.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-15-2014, 9:10 PM
Have you called Grizzly technical support?

Jim Andrew
05-15-2014, 9:15 PM
The guard on my Hammer saw hooks to the top of the riving knife, and has a 2" port for dust. The under table shroud has a 4" hose, and I am surprised at how well the dust works on the saw. Not perfect but pretty good. Seems to take a while for the best dust systems to get around.