PDA

View Full Version : Assembly table from HF motorcycle lift?

Jim Andrew
10-11-2013, 1:55 PM
Has anyone used the Harbor Freight motorcycle lift for the base of their assembly table? Search showed several from the small lift tables, but the MC lift is much larger, and the reviews describe it as rock solid. Looks like I could just lay a 3 or 4' wide piece of plywood and set the height wherever it is convenient.

cecil rolfe
10-11-2013, 3:20 PM
I use one of the HF lift tables. It saves on my back when lifting heavy cabinets or chests to working height. I also use it for loading and unloading in my van.

Alan Lightstone
10-12-2013, 1:47 AM
I use one of the HF lift tables. It saves on my back when lifting heavy cabinets or chests to working height. I also use it for loading and unloading in my van.Me too, but it does take up a lot of space, and weighs a ton. Also, the top of mine isn't flat, which really limits it's usefulness.

Chuck Saunders
10-12-2013, 12:21 PM
I have one, handy handy

fRED mCnEILL
10-12-2013, 1:19 PM
I use one to build the tack boxes I sell. When I first started I had a tack box on top of the bench to work on it and I was standing on the bench. When I when to get down, the chair I was stepping on broke and down I went pulling the tack box (125lbs)down on top of me. So I got a lift that goes from 12 inchs to 36 inches. It only had a 12x12 platform so I enlarged it. The pump is enclosed underneath it so no handle sticking out and its on castors so no more bending down or standing on the bench. I could't work without it. It cost me $100 at Princess auto.I also have a stool that telescopes as well so it all works really well.
As an aside the lift works very well but when the tack box is fully built it is quite heavy and I had to get another person(wife or daughter) to help get it off the lift. So just yesterday I bought an electric winch that I mounted to the ceiling. Now I can do it all by myself. The winch cost $120 also from Princess Auto(Canadian equivalent to Harbor Freight)
Harbor Freight also sell telescoping tables that might be more suitable.

Jim Andrew
10-12-2013, 1:25 PM
The motorcycle lift is supposed to be about 30 inches wide by about 7' long, and weighs over 300 pounds, so no comparison in size to the small lifts, but you can remove the ramp, and as it has a frame on both ends, looks like you could put an 8' piece of ply on it, and although it would take up quite a bit of space, appears to make a nice bench. If your MC broke down, take the plywood off and fix your bike. It is on sale now, 299.99

Sam Murdoch
10-12-2013, 2:32 PM
Me too, but it does take up a lot of space, and weighs a ton. Also, the top of mine isn't flat, which really limits it's usefulness.

I have a 2 x 8 frame with a full sheet of 3/4" Advantech sub top AND 1-1/4" MDF top. All sitting on a pair of Werner work platforms from the HD. This is my permanently in place, very flat, plywood track saw table and/or assembly bench. I wish I could make it movable and more easily disassembled but it serves such a useful purpose 98% of the time that I have accepted its limitations.

Now you guys are inspiring me. Could this HF lift be easily adapted to support my work table? It would make it movable and with a range of heights right? What about your issue with flatness Alan - can that be easily overcome without adding shape to my table? I am quite excited about the potential :).

John Lifer
10-13-2013, 7:05 AM
Depending on your need, there are smaller versions out there that predate the larger lift. I used one for my Motorcycle for a long while and have move to using it to move other items. Goes up to about 16" and will lift 500 pounds or so. And usually less than $100.

Jim Andrew
10-13-2013, 9:04 AM
John, my son has a mc jack, which is what you are talking about. My thinking is the lift starts out about bench height, so suppose you make a face frame, it would be about the right height at full height. Then, you build a box, which would be nice if you could drop the height maybe 4 to 6". Then, you want to put the face frame on the box, lower it till the top of the box is working height. Does this make sense? I have a heavy workbench, and when I put a box together, it is usually not wide enough, and too high. Thinking convenience.

John Huds0n
10-13-2013, 10:12 AM
As a motorcyclist I have a lift table which is one of the handiest tools I have. It is a beast though and weighs 700lbs, but it can support 1,500 and has wheels to roll around

Here is a pic of one of what it looks like - it also has side extensions to make the top wider so it can fit an atv

Not the best pic, but here is what it looks like with my Paulk style workbench on top of it. It is very easy to raise or lower to just the right height of whatever I am working on and is rock solid

Jim Andrew
10-13-2013, 9:52 PM
Thanks John, cool pics.