PDA

View Full Version : Dadonator rust

Bob Johnson2
06-01-2005, 7:40 PM
An opinion or 2 if I can get it. I ordered and rx'ed a 10" Dadonator dado set last week, when I got them I found the chippers have surface rust on them where the polished surface meets the grainy area close to the teeth. The rust spots are quite small, maybe 1/4" or so, 4 or so per chipper on 4 that have it. My question is would you bother with the hassle of sending the set back in trade for another set in better shape? It should have nothing to do with the cut as the teeth look fine and the rust is not raised so it won't effect the size of the stack. I hate to nit pick but for the price of these things I had expected better. Infinity tells me it's the start of the humid season (Fl.) and most of the sets have similar, they are going to move them into the office to try and limit the problem. They are willing to do what I ask to make me happy. I did go through my other blades and see no such on any of them, other then a couple $5 single use jobs. What do you think, I'm inclind to ask to swap the rusted ones, not the whole set. These things weigh quite a bit, 6 tooth chppers.

Thanks

Bart Leetch
06-01-2005, 9:07 PM
What about using a small brass brush & rubbing the spots lightly & see if it comes off & if it cleans up nicely just go ahead & use them?

Michael Perata
06-01-2005, 10:03 PM
Bob

I think the carbide is brazed/soldered on with non-ferrous material so there should not be any structural problems.

My CMT set spins to fast to see any rust so the only time it would be a problem is when you look at the set on the bench. ;)

I would try to get the maker to give you an email guaranteeing a return if not satisfied down the road and keep using the set.

Bob Johnson2
06-01-2005, 10:25 PM
Thanks Guys, Michael's suggestion is a good one, I'll see what they say.