PDA

View Full Version : Anyone turn Willow?

John Miliunas
05-15-2003, 6:07 PM
Yeah, yeah...The novice in me is really coming to the surface, but at least, I know where to go for answers!:D Anyhow, a co-worker had part of a large Willow go down in her yard the last storm through our area and brought a large chunk of it in for me, to see if I'd like to use it for turning. Of course, I took it, but I don't even know if and what kind of results to expect. It's definitely still green, so I'd like to cut up some blanks and go for it. Should I? Yes/no? Any experience with it, outside of using it for some type of bentwood projects? :cool:

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
05-15-2003, 6:48 PM
but it doesn't have a lot of special grain. I showed a bowl in a post from 4/13/03 that I turned from a piece of willow that was 30 years old. SWMBO used to play in the tree when she was little, and I found some pieces in the bottom of the woodshed on the family farm. It turned great, and had some beautiful worm holes in it. I like the golden color with the mineral oil finish. I managed to drag out seven or eight more pieces to turn. I haven't tried any green stuff, but suppose it would do fine also. Have fun with it and be sure and post picts when you're done!

Jim Becker
05-15-2003, 6:52 PM
I have one waiting across the street for me to cut it up...lots of little burls all over it, too.

The nice thing about turning is that you can turn just about anything. When you have something that features somewhat non-descript grain, concentrate on the shape of the object you are turning even more and consider accenting it with other contrasting species or burl-bits.

John Miliunas
05-16-2003, 8:07 AM
Thanks for the info, gentlemen! That's what I kind of thought, but figured before I go waste a bunch of time on it, I'd check with the Pro's. Think I'll give it a go this weekend. Might try one or two bowls from start to finish and rough turn the rest. If it comes out OK, there's more Willow there for the taking! :cool: