PDA

View Full Version : black rubber that does not stink when you laser it!!

matthew knott
10-10-2013, 4:52 PM
Got a horrible job (as part of an even bigger horrible job) that involve cutting and engraving some small rubber parts, i purchased some neoprene rubber and the results are good but it STINKS, not only that but the parts stink, they continue to stink and stink out every place they visit. I've had a look at some of the laser stamp rubber but it seems to only come in grey. Any ideas where (UK) i can get some black rubber that doesn't smell so bad when you laser it?
Thanks

Chuck Stone
10-10-2013, 5:07 PM
I think they all smell pretty bad. But I've soaked it in Pine Sol and Murphy's Oil Soap
mixture and that helped. I've been told you can also bury the piece in coffee grounds
to help knock down the smell. Spilling my coffee on the rubber didn't help.

Dan Hintz
10-10-2013, 7:53 PM
Spilling my coffee on the rubber didn't help.

You were probably drinking Sanka or some rubbish like that ;)

Dave Sheldrake
10-10-2013, 8:36 PM
Try Gil Curry Matt (theplasticshop.co.uk)

cheers

Dave

Chuck Stone
10-10-2013, 11:07 PM
You were probably drinking Sanka or some rubbish like that ;)

It was Postem. Why?

Robert C Kelly
10-14-2013, 3:56 AM
Hi Matt

There is laserable black rubber out there for sure http://www.rubberstampmaterials.com/laserengravablerubberandpolymer.aspx but read what they say about the smell!! I've used black rubber to make stamps required for acid and oil based applications in the past and it does have a characteristic odour different to the natural "red" rubber which we use.

If I get up to see you I'll see if I can find a piece for you. Actually I'll mail you a bit when I next get into the office, probably tomorrow, and you can try it. I think I know your address from the other post, I'll call you about that another day.

Cheers

Bob

Isaac Clarke
10-14-2013, 4:26 AM
I was engraving stamps into silison the other day and the smell was bad but it didnt linger, good extraction and it wont be a problem :)