PDA

View Full Version : Variable Control Modual for 110vt 1/4 hp Grizzly Power Feeder

Paul Simmel
10-10-2013, 11:02 AM
Does anyone have any reasons why I couldn't purchase a VS controller (like people do for routers) for my power feeder?

Thanks!

P

Duane Meadows
10-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Yes I have a reason it will not work! It has an induction motor, not universal as in a router! That is if you are talking the router type speed control.

Paul Simmel
10-10-2013, 8:19 PM
Yes I have a reason it will not work! It has an induction motor, not universal as in a router! That is if you are talking the router type speed control.

Thanks... is there any electrical way I can vary the speed? I have the WH Shop Fox molder knock-off, and it has the same type of motor with variable speed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

steve joly
10-10-2013, 9:07 PM
I also would like to make mine variable speed but I was told I would need to change the motor and when I looked quickly motors were going to be more than I would spend on it.

Loren Woirhaye
10-10-2013, 9:21 PM
Get a 3 phase feeder and you should be able to vary the speed with a VFD to some extent.

Paul Simmel
10-11-2013, 10:19 AM
It's a 1/4 hp 110 v unit. I've never heard of 3-phase for such a small feeder. The slowest geared-speed is 20 fps which is just a pinch too fast for some operations. My molder which has a much larger but same type of motor, (220 v), has variable speed. I'm thinking there must be a way without buying a new motor or feeder because the molder is sort of "proof". Though I fully admit I do not know the difference between a router motor and an induction motor...

Jason Beam
10-11-2013, 11:07 AM
There are electrical ways to do it - but they'll likely cost you more than the feeder itself.

How is the molder serving as proof? Does it have the exact same motor as your feeder?

I think you'll have an easier time having a custom set of gears made to lower your speed - if there's room for that (there probably isn't).

Duane Meadows
10-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Paul, an induction motor is locked to the power line frequency(60Hz in the US). The only way to vary the speed electrically is to vary the frequency. This is commonly done with 3 Phase motors. Many VS single phase stuff is done with permanent magnet DC motors, they may look more or less the same, but are totally different.

If you can find a VFD(variable frequency drive) for single phase motors, it should work, at least in a limited speed range. But many motors will not work well at lower frequencies.

Paul Simmel
10-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Thanks a lot for the explanation, Duane. Do you think something like this might work? http://www.wolfautomation.com/products/34134/variable-ac-voltage-supply-speed-controlbrdart-controls-ac03-05s?gclid=CJmQlvGHj7oCFSJqMgodYhQArw

Paul Simmel
10-11-2013, 11:18 AM
You are right, Jason. There isn't room for a larger gear. Maybe Grizzly tech-support...

Paul Simmel
10-11-2013, 11:28 AM
WOW. Problem solved. Tech-support has a gear kit to slow me down to 13 fpm for $52 including shipping. Thanks everyone!

Duane Meadows
10-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks a lot for the explanation, Duane. Do you think something like this might work? http://www.wolfautomation.com/products/34134/variable-ac-voltage-supply-speed-controlbrdart-controls-ac03-05s?gclid=CJmQlvGHj7oCFSJqMgodYhQArw

No it will not, but glad you found a solution!