PDA

View Full Version : Band Clamps ....... again

Bill Huber
10-10-2013, 10:29 AM
There have been a few threads on band clamps, whats the best and that is hard to say, what works for one may not work that well for others.

I have had and used many different band clamps, retching clamps, the type with the corner block with a screw handle, Pony band clamps and even tried a pair of Bessey Variable. I will admit that I have not tried the Merle brand band clamp, which a lot of people like a lot.

The ones I have used all have kind of the same problem, getting the things on. Get them set like you want and then try and start to tighten them up and they fall down and you have to start over. So you set them up on the bench and then raise them a little at a time until you get them in the correct position and then tighten them up maybe if they don't slip.

I picked up a pair of Craftsman One Hand Band Clamps. They are made by Wolfcraft and sold at different place Sears, Menards, and others.

I love them, they are spring loaded in that the band is always in and you have to pull it out against a spring so it always wants to retract back in but there is a trigger that locks them in any position. Pull the trigger and they will tighten up or you can just pull out more band. When ready just squeeze the 2 handles together and they pull the band up tight.

The end of the band has a nice metal hook on it and the unit has a magnet in it so the hook will not come off unless you want it to. They come with 4 corner clips that stay on and will adjust to the corner.

So you start setting them up and just squeeze the trigger to tighten them up a little while you are adjusting them in position with the other. You need a little more band, just squeeze the trigger and pull out more, it is that easy.

glenn bradley
10-10-2013, 10:37 AM
As always Bill, thank you for your diligence and your reviews. I have wondered about the Wolfcraft "one-handed" band clamps as I find the same thing lacking in others as you describe. Good stuff!

Alan Lightstone
10-10-2013, 12:32 PM
I've been using that one for a while, Bill, but I've had some issues with it.

It doesn't work on small boxes, and you really need the large head to sit flush against the wood for it to work optimally.

I saw a hint somewhere to put double sided tape on the plastic corner pieces to keep them from slipping while tightening. That does help, but have had some tearout issues with the wood when doing that.

I've actually ordered a Pony band clamp, but it's back ordered and I'm waiting on it. I thought that might work better for me.

Paraphrasing what you said, different strokes for different folks.

Jim Rimmer
10-10-2013, 1:36 PM
Thanks for the review, Bill.

Bill Huber
10-10-2013, 1:45 PM
I've been using that one for a while, Bill, but I've had some issues with it.

It doesn't work on small boxes, and you really need the large head to sit flush against the wood for it to work optimally.

I saw a hint somewhere to put double sided tape on the plastic corner pieces to keep them from slipping while tightening. That does help, but have had some tearout issues with the wood when doing that.

I've actually ordered a Pony band clamp, but it's back ordered and I'm waiting on it. I thought that might work better for me.

Paraphrasing what you said, different strokes for different folks.

I could see they would not work on very small boxes, the smallest I have used them on it a 10x7 and they work fine on them.
These boxes have box joints and I use them on it, I put a small block of wood on each side of the corner (8 in all) and use the band clamp and it pulls the box joint right together work very good for that.

I never thought of using double sided tape to hole the little corner brackets on for my other band clamps, just may have to give that a try, Thank for the tip...