PDA

View Full Version : yes, it is thin enough...

Russell Eaton
10-09-2013, 6:35 PM
I took a class with Jimmy Clewes several weeks ago. After leaving I thought about what I had taken away from the class. The biggest thing that I need to work on is challenging myself so as not to get complacent. I think we all can get into a rut and not challenge ourselves enough. I am planning on doing more work on myself. Here is my piece. It is ambrosia maple, with natural edge. All bark is still intact, and it measures 5/64" at the thinnest point.
Comments welcome, good or bad. Thanks for looking. Russell

Dennis Ford
10-09-2013, 6:59 PM
It is a beautiful piece. You met this challenge head on and won on multiple levels.

Bob Bergstrom
10-09-2013, 10:36 PM
Great job on all aspects. Well centered, great wood and lamp shade thin. It doesn't get any better.

Mike Cruz
10-10-2013, 12:11 AM
Hmmm, you could have gone thinner, Russell. Then again, you could make the inside bigger than the outside, too! Glad you stopped and got something to walk away with here. Maybe next time, go for an even 1/8. Beautiful orientation and wood, too!

Jim Underwood
10-10-2013, 9:34 AM
Hey Mike,

If one wanted "thinner", one could also buy cheesecloth down at the fabric store... :D If I get down to 1/4" I figure that's thin enough for me.

Nice work Russell. I'm sure I could not do that well. Who is the lucky owner?

Pat Scott
10-10-2013, 9:41 AM
Nice looking and well done. You should send a picture of it to Jimmy.

Scott Hackler
10-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Nice piece and primed for a lot of piercing work!!! :)

I talked to Jimmy while at SWAT and am thinking about going out to Vegas to spend a day with him. I figure my wife and I can go on a long weekend and she can go shopping for the day (or whatever), so I can go hang out with another turner! Jimmy's attitude and personality makes me smile, so I can imagine it was a fun time.

Dennis Peacock
10-10-2013, 5:55 PM
I really like this piece. Nicely done.!!!!

Russell Eaton
10-10-2013, 7:36 PM
Thanks for all the comments.
Scott I would HIGHLY recommend a trip out to Jimmy's. He is a great host and an incredible teacher. You won't be disappointed. I would recommend going during the winter, it would be more comfortable.

BILL DONAHUE
10-10-2013, 8:43 PM
Yeah, that's thin enough for sure; beautiful as well. Russell and I were lucky enough to have Jimmy Clewes sole attention for three days last month and I second everything Russell says. Jimmy is not a "signature style" turner who teaches his particular way to do something. Instead, he is an exceptionally gifted teacher and an excellent turner who will make anyone better at the "craft" of turning. He gets his students to stretch and get outside of their comfort zone and try things they otherwise wouldn't have the courage to do. Nice job of pushing the envelope, Russell.