PDA

View Full Version : anyone used silbergleit lubricant?

Albert Lee
10-09-2013, 6:31 PM
I did a search but there is no result, a bit surprised....

I wanted to know how they compare with paste wax say from Johnsons or Minwax? Silbergleight is $30USD for a can of 1000ml on Felder's US website. over here they are about $85USD for the same product.

Felder US only ship to US address, there are agent in NZ who provides a service to ship item for you from their US addres, but by the time they take their cut and the freight cost, the cost for a can of 1000ml is about $65USD....

I am a bit worried that paste wax will have an affect on the finish of the timber, or this is not a worry because you will sand the timber anyway?

Thomas Hotchkin
10-10-2013, 12:30 AM
Abert
I have been using Johnson & Johnson Paste wax for over 30 years on all my cast iron tools work surfaces, and have never had it affect the finish or the look of the wood. Here in the USA a can goes for about $6.00 and last me about 6 years +-. Tom

David Hawxhurst
10-10-2013, 8:04 AM
its works well, but i don't think it works $65 well. i use crc 3-36. i found that paste waxes don't work all that well for me on the felder tables because of the grinding pattern.

Curt Harms
10-10-2013, 10:02 AM
The only caution I'm aware of re wax is DON'T use automotive wax containing silicone. That'll cause finish problems. Paste wax is applied, left to dry for a bit then buffed. I guess most of what's left is in the cast iron pores and not prone to transferring to work pieces. I've never been aware of any finishing problems caused by or Johnson's or other carnuba based paste wax.

John TenEyck
10-10-2013, 11:35 AM
I've used paste wax on both my cast iron and anodized aluminum machine tables for over 25 years with no problems, and it works great.

John

Art Mann
10-10-2013, 1:12 PM
Here is one more endorsement for Johnson's Paste Wax if you can get it where you live. I have been using it to protect my cast iron and aluminum work surfaces for decades. Incidentally, I also use this wax as a final finish on boxes and other decorative items that don't require a hard durable finish. The luster is beautiful and surfaces finished with it feel silky smooth.

Jeff Monson
10-10-2013, 4:32 PM
I have both, Felder usually sells the super-gleit on their specials for much less than what you have listed. IMO the super-gleit is not nearly as effective as paste wax. It is super quick and easy to apply, that is why I like it. Its like comparing car waxes, paste wax vs. spray wax. I do a good cleaning and apply paste wax, and use the super-gleit in between.