PDA

View Full Version : How many Jack planes is too many??

steven c newman
10-09-2013, 2:58 PM
Let's see, I have a 5-1/4 junior jack, and three regular #5 sized ones, along with a #6 that thinks it can do the same job272533Too many, or,....not enough?

Malcolm Schweizer
10-09-2013, 3:09 PM
You need some low angle jacks and a rabbeting jack at minimum to complete the set. :D

Judson Green
10-09-2013, 3:13 PM
Enough is always just one more.

Hilton Ralphs
10-09-2013, 3:37 PM
Sounds like a band we had in South Africa years ago, Four Jacks and a Jill.

Bill Houghton
10-09-2013, 4:04 PM
Space is the controlling factor; well, and money. You really don't need but one. I tend to have two of any given size, in case I drop one on the floor; but then, I can get them fairly cheap at yard sales.

Malcolm Schweizer
10-09-2013, 4:33 PM
Nobody can say you don't know jack!

Jim Matthews
10-09-2013, 5:43 PM
Do I spy a pair of Marples #5?

You could set one up to smooth, one to shoot edges.
If it was me, I would be looking for a 5 1/2...

paul cottingham
10-09-2013, 6:13 PM
What a question. You need as many as you own. Until you find another. Then you need it, too. Was this a trick question? Have you been talking to my wife?

Richard Line
10-09-2013, 7:24 PM
How much storage space do you have available - that will answer the question.

Jim Koepke
10-09-2013, 9:21 PM
Let's see, I have a 5-1/4 junior jack, and three regular #5 sized ones, along with a #6 that thinks it can do the same jobToo many, or,....not enough?

Don't mind me, they say I am a plane-oholic. So you may not have enough.

My accumulation of Jack.

2 each- #5-1/4 Juniors, well actually three, but one is residing as parts in a box of other parts. The sole is badly cracked, could a plane sole be goodly cracked? Of the two users, one is also with cracks around the mouth and other damage from days as a high school shop hockey puck. It is dedicated to being a scrub plane. The other is a fine Stanley labeled (cast in the toe) piece that is used regularly.

4 each- #5 set up in various ways. Two or three of these is really enough, but one of my neighbors went out and bought one for me at an auction.

1 each- #5-1/2 (2-1/4" blade) a good user, but a bit beat up.

2 each- #6 close to a #5-1/2 but just a bit bigger. These are nice for rough cut wood to get rid of saw marks and such.

1 each- #62 Low Angle Bevel Up Jack. This is the best shooting plane in my arsenal.

jtk

p.s. I am not much for changing blades, moving frogs or changing chip breaker settings. It is easier to just pick up a plane that is set up for a different job.

Tony Wilkins
10-09-2013, 11:48 PM
Jim, you're a bad, bad man. I'm not totally sure my wife will appreciate your influence on me. I had thought my LV 5 1/4 was enough for my jack plane arsenal until I read that last response.

Harold Burrell
10-09-2013, 11:51 PM
You need as many as you own. Until you find another. Then you need it, too.

Wow...I think I am going to engrave that into some nice sign or something and then hang it in my shop. However (with apologies to Mr. Cottingham) I think I will attribute that quote to Abe Lincoln.

My wife really likes Lincoln.

paul cottingham
10-09-2013, 11:54 PM
Wow...I think I am going to engrave that into some nice sign or something and then hang it in my shop. However (with apologies to Mr. Cottingham) I think I will attribute that quote to Abe Lincoln.

My wife really likes Lincoln.

I have said it before. You, sir, are the man.

David Weaver
10-10-2013, 7:44 AM
When you get a negative feeling about how many you have (due to time spent reconditioning planes - which is about the same as time spent staring at a wall if the plane isn't needed, due to space constraints, due to planes rusting from lack of use, etc,) then that's too many.

It's sort of nice to have something of each flavor (vintage wooden, metal stanley type, japanese, ..)

Hilton Ralphs
10-10-2013, 7:54 AM
You know you're an addict when you have representatives for each No (1-8) but then all the Types for each model.

Jacob Reverb
10-10-2013, 10:47 AM
All of them ...?

Harold Burrell
10-10-2013, 8:47 PM
You know you're an addict when you have representatives for each No (1-8) but then all the Types for each model.

Okay, good. Then I have a ways to go...

Tom Vanzant
10-10-2013, 9:33 PM
Jack planes that I have v. jack planes that I use regularly.. very different list.
I have: a 5 1/4, a 605, a 605 for parts, 2 #5, a 5 1/2 (2 1/4"),a 606, 2x #6 and a Ward Master #6.
I use: 5 1/4, 605, 606.
I also use a #3 and a 604 for smoothing and a 607 for shooting (soon to be replaced with a 4 1/2 w/ PM-VII iron set. All the Bedrocks have Hock iron sets. There are several other various Stanleys laying around for parts. I sold my Steve Knight smoother and jack last week, but I still have the 24" planer and small coffin smoother.
To the OP... do you have too many jacks... nah.

Frederick Skelly
10-10-2013, 10:06 PM
Hilton, that sounds like a band name that my old Aussie buddies would have come up with!
Fred

Hilton Ralphs
10-11-2013, 12:09 AM
Hilton, that sounds like a band name that my old Aussie buddies would have come up with!
Fred

You may remember their 1968 hit in the USA called 'Master Jack'.

Don Orr
10-11-2013, 3:23 PM
I do not understand what you mean by "too many". ;) Is that even possible? :confused:

I do, however, understand "not enough".

Heck, I'm a turner and I have more than you.:eek::D

steven c newman
10-12-2013, 10:21 AM
Of the three #5s only one is set up with a cambered iron, so far. The other two seem to work just fine with a straight iron. As for that DE6c272743272744it just might do some smoothing work??

Roy Lindberry
10-12-2013, 11:21 AM
Let's see, I have a 5-1/4 junior jack, and three regular #5 sized ones, along with a #6 that thinks it can do the same job272533Too many, or,....not enough?

If you are a collector, the too many only exists when you run out of space. If you are a user, then too many is any that you aren't using. If you are somewhere in between, then too many is when you tire of them.

I am pretty happy with my jack collection which includes a Stanley #5 set up as a fore/scrub; a Stanley #6 with a little less camber that I use as a try plane; a Stanley #5 1/2 which still needs a little work, but which I was going to dedicate for shooting, and a Lie-Nielsen #62 which is currently my shooting plane (it excels at end grain).

steven c newman
10-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Might be getting close.... I did have TWO #6 planes in the shop, the other was a "Savage" by Ohio Tool Co. Happened to like the DE6c better.

After I picked up a Stanley #31, I sold my T9, #8c.....too big and heavy for what I do. Had a 606 for maybe a week, until I got an offer I couldn't refuse for it. (minty one at that)

Had a Union 5A, same as a Stanley 5-1/2, that got used less and less as the 6s took over things. Was getting better results.

That 5-1/4 junior is a 4-square. NICE little plane, even has the SW iron, too.

Of course, I do seem to have a few #3s and #4 sized ones, too.

Dave Cav
10-12-2013, 11:48 PM
As far as users go, I have a regular #5 set up with a highly cambered iron for rough work but not quite a scrub; a 605 that is used for regular jack plane work, sometimes, and a 5 1/4 that isn't used much, but is nice to have. A 605 1/2 is really my go-to jack plane and generally the first one I grab. The size and feel seem just about right. I tried my 606 for jack plane work but it seems too big so I keep it set up as a panel smoother. Sometimes it even gets used.

As for the non-users, I would have to go out and count them. I have a mixed bag of nice but not great #4 and #5 planes I got from Pat that I like to keep on hand for gifts to people who are getting into woodworking.

Adam Cruea
10-15-2013, 8:45 AM
I use 2 #5s.

One is set up for rough cuts and hogging with the original blade, the other has an LV A2 blade and cap iron for times when a #4 is just too small.

Hilton Ralphs
10-15-2013, 8:53 AM
the other has an LV A2 blade and cap iron for times when a #4 is just too small.

Adam, any reason why you went with a #5 instead of say a #4-1/2 or #5-1/2?

Edward Mitton
10-15-2013, 9:20 AM

Just remember...someday in the far future...when archaeologists are digging up the ruins of America...they will unearth your shop and discover your sign and exclaim, "Look, here's an Abe Lincoln quote that's never been recorded before!!" They would never guess that it was really a ruse to convince your significant other that you need more planes.

Chris Griggs
10-15-2013, 9:25 AM
1. A 5 1/4 set up with something like a 4" radius for super rough work...I rarely use it

2. A vintage Footprint setup for fine work...I have others I prefer, so I don't really use it

3. A vintage beater frankenplane Stanley 5C setup with something like an 8-10" radius..this used to be my main jack...I don't use it now.

4. A Sargent transitional equivalent to Stanley 26 setup with something like 10-12" radius...this was my main jack for a while too but I now use something a little nicer.

5. A restored Stanley 26 transitional. This was my "upgrade" from my sargent transitional. Pretty much the same plane this one was just on nicer condition and is nicer to use. This is my main roughing plane. I keep something like 14-16" radius in it. I find that to be plenty of curvature for the vast majority of coarse flattening and thickness. The only time I need something coarser is if I'm taking something like a 1/4" of thickness of a board. Love this plane

6. Miller Falls No. 14. Currently setup with a straight blade for general trimming, and also hogging down edges. Love this plane

7. A Miller Falls 15, setup as a "super smoother". Love LOVE this plane

8. LV LA Jack...I really only use this for shooting. Love this plane.

I have too many jacks, just taking up space. However, the ones I don't use are slotted to go to a friend of mine who lives in MN...I plan to bring them with me when I head home for the Holidays.

Hilton Ralphs
10-15-2013, 9:54 AM
the ones I don't use are slotted to go to a friend of mine who lives in MN...I plan to bring them with me when I head home for the Holidays.

Is this where you come from Chris? Seems a long way from Philly. What happens up there apart from learning to horde jack planes?

Chris Hachet
10-15-2013, 10:00 AM
Let's see, I have a 5-1/4 junior jack, and three regular #5 sized ones, along with a #6 that thinks it can do the same job272533Too many, or,....not enough?Not enough....

Chris Griggs
10-15-2013, 10:06 AM
Is this where you come from Chris? Seems a long way from Philly. What happens up there apart from learning to horde jack planes?

Yeah. Grew up in MN, and lived there until I was 24. Went to/graduated from U of MN. Moved to Philly for work in 2006, where I met my then future, now present, wife. We moved to NOLA together in 08 for some job opportunities and also just for fun...stayed 4 years. Came back to Philly just over a year ago, to be nearer to wife's family. Just bought our first home this summer and finally moved in this past weekend; we are here to stay.

What happens in MN? Well it get's really really cold for several months every year. You need to be careful not kiss you jack planes when it gets that cold because your lips will freeze to them. I love MN and the St. Paul/Minneapolis are where I grew up though! If I hadn't fallen in love with a women from PA I likely would have moved back. I like PA and Philly an awful lot though and am also quite fond of my wife so all in all having to give up living in MN worked out quite well.

Hilton Ralphs
10-15-2013, 10:19 AM
I met my then future, now present, wife.

also quite fond of my wife so all in all having to give up living in MN worked out quite well.

Glad to hear you're fond of her, given that she's only your present wife. :)

Jim Koepke
10-15-2013, 11:36 AM
You should be careful not to introduce her by saying, "this is my present wife... " or "this is my first wife... ."

That can get you in big trouble.

jtk

Mike Holbrook
10-15-2013, 11:49 AM
I think David had the right tact regarding this post, more rationalization. Some of you obviously need help in rationalization. Maybe some of you are not married because some of those defenses just want hold up! We need real rational "reasons" for all these planes guys.

Thanks to Tom Vanzant, I now have two jack planes; one from a Steve Knight kit I made, one made by Steve himself. The one Steve made is set up to take fine shavings. It has a separate, "adjustable" mouth. The "adjustable" mouth is more a system for replacing the area just in front of the mouth with fresh wood as it wears though. The adjustable mouth on the Knight kit I made is a sliding block of wood that actually opens or narrows the mouth. I am in the process of making the kit I made into more of a coarse to medium plane due to its purple heart body and fully adjustable mouth. The Lee Valley Jack is a great shooting plane and has the ability to switch to a high angle blade for tough grains. The Garret Wade Paragon plane I have will probably become the plane that I pull out to take heavy abuse sense the metal body may be better for that than any wood. Although Garret Wade claimed these planes were some sort of "paragon" in the plane world, it turns out they were not made to very exacting standards and may be better suited to rough work. The blade adjustment system, although it may not be the most exacting, will give me the ability to adjust depth of cut while I am working which in rough work may be very handy. It will also be much easier to grind a larger radius into the thinner softer blade this plane uses than the 1/4" thick harder steel in the wood planes.

Most wives will stop listening after about the second sentence, those who continue to try to listen will probably not notice the transition to various different plane names in the details of plane design.

Chris Griggs
10-15-2013, 12:12 PM
Glad to hear you're fond of her, given that she's only your present wife. :)

You should be careful not to introduce her by saying, "this is my present wife... " or "this is my first wife... ."

That can get you in big trouble.

jtk

Haha. I'll keep that in mind. The plan is to keep her as my "present" wife well into the future!

Adam Cruea
10-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Adam, any reason why you went with a #5 instead of say a #4-1/2 or #5-1/2?

5s are a boatload cheaper on Fleabay. However, as soon as I build a tool chest I would like to invest in a Lie-Nielsen 4 1/2. I had a Stanley at one point, but it didn't work all that well and the lateral adjustment lever on it was busted, so it got sacrificed for parts.

I may end up getting one or two more 5s as well. They are great planes that are nicely versatile in doing everything from rough work to smoothing and I find the Stanley/Bailey/Bedrocks to be just the right size for my work at the moment.

Jim Koepke
10-15-2013, 1:13 PM
Haha. I'll keep that in mind. The plan is to keep her as my "present" wife well into the future!

Then introduce her as your future wife.

If it brings up any questions, then just say, "of course I would ask you to marry me again."

Just make sure to keep doing the things that would make her say yes.

jtk

Jim Koepke
10-15-2013, 1:21 PM
I think David had the right tact regarding this post, more rationalization. Some of you obviously need help in rationalization. Maybe some of you are not married because some of those defenses just want hold up! We need real rational "reasons" for all these planes guys.

There are only a hand full of planes in my accumulation to gladly be sold if it came to needing space or money. Two of them are #5s. Once they are sold, they are gone and the money is too soon spent.

My wife knows my rationalization of being able to use of sell most of the items bought. I try to remember to not get her to rationalize her tendency of accumulation.

jtk

steven c newman
10-18-2013, 10:37 AM
OK, I have a FranckenBailey #5 set up as a smoother

A Corsair C-5 with a nice , big camber that works as a scrub plane/jack

And now, I have an Ohio Tool co. 05c with the crimson paint to use as a shooting plane. Since i just cobbled together a shooting noard for the bench, might as well use a jack for it. That DE6c will also see a few trips on the "Chuting Board" as well.

Still looking at even more jack planes, don't exactly know why....

Brian Myers
10-20-2013, 2:17 AM
1 Stanley 5 1/4
1 Stanley 5 1/2
2 Stanley 5C's (both working , giving one to a friends young son for xmas with some other planes, the other may go to fleabay once I come across the appropriate SW blade for it's type but has been my main user)
1 Stanley 5 (on fleabay so may not count)
2 Sargent 414C VBM's ( 1 working (becoming my main user) , 1 to rehab and make a new tote for)
1 Sargent 414 VBM (to rehab, partially done)
3 transitionals
at least 3 woodies

Hmmm think I have a problem and may need to find some help :eek:

phil harold
10-20-2013, 10:18 AM
The correct answer is:
Eleventy-one (111)
if this does not meet you needs, 12321 usually will sufice

Brian Myers
10-20-2013, 12:40 PM
The correct answer seems to be " I will stop after one more .", but you never do . :D

steven c newman
10-22-2013, 4:39 PM
Just went out and bought a Sargent jack plane, with a grooved bottom, no less. So, NOW, I have two each: 2 with grooves, and two without. Might be a trend here???