PDA

View Full Version : Rikon 17" Bandsaw Dust Collection

Dave Tinley
06-01-2005, 4:47 PM
I love having a 17 inch bandsaw, seems I am using it more and more, but the dust collection on it is terrible. I have a four inch hose hooked to each port, and my dust collector has enough suction to remove the chrome on a trailer hitch ball . :D
But the saw leaves alot of sawdust up on the table, which eventually finds the floor.
Has anybody revamped the dust collection or come up with a better method ??
I was thinking about unhooking the top hose and engineering a way to hold it near the blade.
Any ideas are appreciated
Thanks
Dave

Mike Cutler
06-01-2005, 9:52 PM
Dave. Are your brushes making good conatct with the wheels? and is that split rubber flap in the upper DC port still working properly?
I get dust on the table (Rikon 18" Model 10-340) when I resaw the wider stuff , but for regular duty the dust collection seems to work okay.
I've thought about mounting a set of brushes in the place of the little rubber flap. it seems to me that brushes would do a better job. Just a thought that you may want try.

James Biddle
06-01-2005, 11:36 PM
I've found the same thing, a lot of sawdust goes into the DC, but a lot of it stays on the table too. I just figured it was the dust that couldn't find its way down through the holes. After all, the suction is exposed to external air between the trunnions and the table.