PDA

View Full Version : Best hardware to attach a link spring to a daybed

Scott Huff
10-09-2013, 6:38 AM
I'm about to build a twin sized daybed for my daughter. I'm not sure what hardware to use to mount the link spring to the posts. I'd rather not have the bolt go all the way thru the post, so I was thinking about threaded inserts, but don't know if they will hold up over time or not. Any thoughts on threaded inserts vs. any other type of mounting hardware? Thanks!

Sam Murdoch
10-09-2013, 8:51 AM
My take on threaded inserts in wood is that they are great for fastenings that need to be removed and reinserted occasionally or often. They can be difficult to set properly and in any case make even a bigger threaded hole in the wood. I prefer T-nuts with the washer head side away from the bolt insert side, but T-nuts can be impractical without some careful planning which sometimes requires a face board over the washer head side. I like the screw on kind rather than the toothed kind - especially in hard woods for obvious reasons.

Having said all that - as regards to your question I think you might be just as well off to use a properly sized eye screw - rather than a threaded insert. If you could find some way to conceal a hex nut or a T-nut into the post assembly that would be better as it would reduce the inevitable elongation of the screw hole. Can you add a block of wood to the inside face of the post that would house a bolt but that could be removed for repair in a few decades?

Jamie Buxton
10-09-2013, 10:18 AM
Just use a lag screw. It will be plenty strong, and you can't ever pull it out of the wood.

Scott Huff
10-10-2013, 6:58 AM
Thanks. I'll look into these.