PDA

View Full Version : Unique block plane or common rubbish?

Hilton Ralphs
10-09-2013, 5:27 AM
Trying to figure out what model is this Stanley block plane.

It has the body shape of a 220A but without the adjustments.

What seems to be unique is the lever cap which is recessed without a hole. Just looking at it, my first reaction was that is typical of a handyman line but that body shape is not modern.

These are not my images so I cannot produce any better one.

Anyone have a clue? I have literally clicked though countless pages of Google images looking for a combination of the body shape, lever cap and no adjustments.

Bill Houghton
10-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Two questions:
Are you sure it's a Stanley product?
Where was it made? Stanley of England seems to have made some products in recent years that don't make it across the pond, at least not in great numbers. Could this be one of them?

Hilton Ralphs
10-09-2013, 11:26 AM
I 'think' I can see Stanley on both the body (heel) and the lever cap. Yes it could be a mud island version. It's going for $15.

Jim Koepke
10-09-2013, 11:48 AM
I can see Stanley on the lever cap, but the body shape is different than what we see in the U.S.

It also looks like the adjuster under the lever cap may be plastic.

Other than that, if the blade is the same size it looks like the equivalent of a #110.

They are usable, but not great.

Your tool availability may be lower than mine, but even with the poor used selection around my area, I likely wouldn't buy it for $15.

jtk

Mike Henderson
10-09-2013, 11:54 AM
I agree with Jim - I wouldn't buy that plane. I'd hold out for a better one.

Mike

Don Dorn
10-09-2013, 11:54 AM
I have one that is similar in Stanley 118 - not a good block plane, but fits the hand very well. Therefore, I put a heavy cut on it and it does a great job for chamfers due to the ease of control. Don't do anything else with it, but for that it excels. By the looks of yours, you may be able to put it to similar work.

Hilton Ralphs
10-09-2013, 12:08 PM
I wouldn't buy that plane. I'd hold out for a better one.

By the looks of yours, you may be able to put it to similar work.

I likely wouldn't buy it for $15.

Thanks guys, going to pass on this one. I was initially attracted by the glow-in-the-dark colour but another time.

Jim Koepke
10-09-2013, 12:11 PM
I was initially attracted by the glow-in-the-dark colour but another time.

That seemed like a good feature until it came to me that if the glow-in-the-dark feature was needed, I probably couldn't find the wood to use the plane. :cool:

jtk

Bill Houghton
10-09-2013, 1:31 PM
Thanks guys, going to pass on this one. I was initially attracted by the glow-in-the-dark colour but another time.

All of us, at one time or another - or more than one time - get caught by the "ooohhh, shiny!" problem. Glad you came to your senses.

I own an older Stanley 110 purchased for all of $1, specifically because I want to test out (when the time bandits stop stealing my time) how much work can be done with such a simple plane. But I doubt I'd want it as my first block plane. Were I buying my first, I'd look for a Stanley 60/60-1/2, or one of the Millers Falls/Sargent/Union equivalents.